Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC 9mm Muzzle Brake that works?

Does anyone use a 9mm PCC muzzle brake that they think actually works (i.e. recoil/bounce control from gas porting) rather than being a barrel weight? I see some really large ports in brakes being used. Seems like a smaller port might better utilize the smaller amount of gas available? Anyone using open pistol type brakes on their PCC? I'm looking for something to screw onto a 16" Faxon which has 1/2" 28 threads. I guess the question is what is the best purpose built 9mm PCC brake, if such a thing exists?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back out of this post to the PCC forum.

Click the search magnifying glass at the top - it'll run a search just in this forum. Search for "comp" or "brake" and you'll run into several lengthy topics on this. Some posts chock full of photos and testing results from guys who have run several of them, too.

This gets delivered tomorrow for mine.  Don't think it will serve much as a brake as we are dealing with not only 9mm, but softened 9mm, and a blowback system. However, more noise for the timer is the idea.  Had to do the same for my .22 for steel challenge.  Now that I have the PCC running my reloads, I had two reshoots Friday night USPSA and several Sunday Steel Challenge.  This should fix that, but not expecting anything else as far as function.

image.jpeg

So what your saying is that we have silencers to make our guns quiet....but for our games we need a loudener??? :D

I have been running a Taccom ULW upper and was initially worried or would be too quiet for the timer. Turns out, it is actually louder then some of the folks running 16" barrels with no muzzle device or standard flash hider type muzzle devices.

As for a brake that works....not sure. I have a JP GMR-13 upper with their brake and from what I can tell, the only thing it does is collect lead fouling. Oh....and it looks cool!

Yep...I was RO'ing one of our Tuesday Evening Steel shoots and i had to put the timer right next to the action to pick up the shots. He was using a 16" barrel with a bird cage style flash hider. It is extreamly quiet. 

All I know is I am having a ball with PCC. With my aging eyes, I find the red dot and control of the carbine to be just the ticket for me.

14 hours ago, littlefish said:

Anyone try one of these?

LWD Compensator 9mm 1/2 x 28

Brake.jpg

This is what I have on my 9mn Faxon barrel myself. Nice and light. And maybe it helps a tiny bit too...

I tried autocomp and hs-6 in my blowback gun, and it didn't really do anything different other than run extremely dirty.  I made a comp similar to an egw comp for my gun and I have been happy with it.  I helps for muzzle rise, but doesn't do much for recoil. Running different velocity and bullet weight combos, to me, the 95 grain bullet at 130 power factor was the softest and flattest combo for my rifle.  Recently I have went up in bullet weight and power factor because I have had problems with poppers at local matches with the 95 grain bullets.  When shooting a stage at speed, I don't think the little extra recoil effects my time.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 9:00 AM, bmiller said:

I tried autocomp and hs-6 in my blowback gun, and it didn't really do anything different other than run extremely dirty.  I made a comp similar to an egw comp for my gun and I have been happy with it.  I helps for muzzle rise, but doesn't do much for recoil. Running different velocity and bullet weight combos, to me, the 95 grain bullet at 130 power factor was the softest and flattest combo for my rifle.  Recently I have went up in bullet weight and power factor because I have had problems with poppers at local matches with the 95 grain bullets.  When shooting a stage at speed, I don't think the little extra recoil effects my time.  

What did you bump up too? I was going to try some 100 grain pills and 6 grains of Longshot. Had these loaded a few years ago for steel in my open gun and figured they would run about 140pf out of my 16" barrel. Should still be soft and still have some gas to work my MBX comp.

I have the Miculek-looking comp sold on eBay for $39. It adds a couple ounces to the muzzle, and I definitely see gas coming out of the ports.I'm just too lazy to take it off and time myself without it, so I'll leave it on for the same reason I wear orange New Balances, it makes me feel faster!  I am shooting 124 FMJ at 135PF, but am switching to 115 FMJ with 3.5gr. of Prima V.

I wonder what Max's load is with his mid-barrel comp. It appears he has the comp at about 8", then fake barrel welded on after that to make 16". An open-style light load with a slow powder might be reasonable in that set up, but the blow back action of these rifles would probably negate the effect of the comp.

Kinda neat to see the evolution of these guns and what works, like when the open gun was developing.

8 hours ago, MrPostman said:

What did you bump up too? I was going to try some 100 grain pills and 6 grains of Longshot. Had these loaded a few years ago for steel in my open gun and figured they would run about 140pf out of my 16" barrel. Should still be soft and still have some gas to work my MBX comp.

I went up to a 115 grain bullet at 144 power factor. Definitely has a sharper impulse.

I tried 4.8gr of Loud-shot/Longshot (load from JP article) with 115 FMJ-HP and 124 FMJ and tried many different spring/buffer combos (no muzzle device). It always felt like more recoil & bounce no matter what configuration as compared to my WIN231 minor load (same projectiles), which has bit of recoil but very little bounce (also switched to JP's SCS). Thinking of leaving the thread protector on for now, kind-a like the light muzzle end with 10" ALG for quickness .

Edited by littlefish

Tested the 6 grain Longshot loads this morning and they were 149PF. They felt the best of the 3 loads I had, probably because the other two were 172 and 176 PF lol. I have some 231 and I was going to try some 135 grain pills with 3.2 to 3.5 grains just to see how they feel. I may end up dropping the load down to around 138 to 140 PF with the 100 grain bullets and Longshot to see if it calms the dot down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Friends,

I have PWS PCC 9.5” 9mm with its original PWS compensator as advertised. I would like to tame the recoil and red dot movements. I already bought a Blitzkreig hudraulic buffer and 308 rifle buffer spring. And now thinking to change my original compensator with LANTAC DRAGON muzzle brake for 9mm for further help.

Does anyone have experience with lantac dragon  muzzle brakein 9mm PcC?  

A friend of mine has a Lantac Dragon on his MPX. He loves it. I shot it and it tames the recoil (it’s already soft shooting) and follow up shots are quicker. However, I like the coda fury compensator that I installed on my MPX better. He indeed up selling his lantac and buying a thread converted so he can use the coda compensator on his MPX.

By the way,  both our MPX are 8” barreled and set up the same way. We did the comparison using the same ammo too.

I like the answer comp over the dragon. Similar design but the answer has more holes on top also you can plug the holes or open the holes to whatever gives you the best dot track. Better angle on the side ports with their bastard port design.

I will say if you’re shooting coated or fmj get a comp that’s easier to clean. Fmj and coated would clog the ports on top of the answer within 500 rounds.

30 minutes ago, BlackBuzzard said:

I tried two wraps of paper around comp, secured with bit blue painters tape.  gmr15

Took 3 shots before gases from comp blew paper apart.

Conclusion:  Compensator forces are absolutely nil.

If you want a calibrating comparison try the same test on the comp of an open pistol running major.