Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC 9mm Muzzle Brake that works?

4 hours ago, caspian guy said:

If you want a calibrating comparison try the same test on the comp of an open pistol running major.

I shoot open too.   Once, shooting open thru a port, with no-shoot stapled on top of port, the comp. blast ripped cardboard in half.

The forces are dramatically different with open pistol.

Ideally (theoretically) the compensating forces should be much less with a pcc since they are acting on a leveraged position - the end of long barrel.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlackBuzzard said:

I shoot open too.   Once, shooting open thru a port, with no-shoot stapled on top of port, the comp. blast ripped cardboard in half.

Ideally (theoretically) the compensating forces should be much less with a pcc since they are acting on a leveraged position - the end of long barrel.

Yep that was pretty much my point.. it helps people understand the difference in magnitude of the forces at work.between the gas from a major load  in a 5"  barrel and the gas from  a minor load in a 16" barrel.

Edited by caspian guy
2 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Yep that was pretty much my point.. it helps people understand the difference in magnitude of the forces at work.between the gas from a major load  in a 5"  barrel and the gas from  a minor load in a 16" barrel.

So, it is useless to change my original PWS PCC 9.5" 9mm compensator with a expensive Lantac Dragon muzzle brake for 9mm PCC?

Ehh the shorter the barrel the more likely you are to notice a benefit i guess.  Probably running a medium or slower burn rate powder all other things equal would run the brake better.  But if it was me I wouldn't spend big money on a pcc brake I think it's better to mess with tuning the springs and buffer setup for a blowback gun.  But in the end only you and the timer know what works best for you.

Edited by caspian guy
On 8/31/2019 at 1:00 PM, BlackBuzzard said:

Is that AOC as your photo? 

After reading so many reports that comps do no good, I decided that the only ones worth trying have only top ports. No side ports at all. I only found four, iirc. Some were very expensive and ugly to boot. Too pricey for probably marginal benefit. I went with the short Taccom. Small, tidy, inexpensive. It does seem to help on my 8” Guard. 

I repurposed a Miculek style comp from a 5.56 rifle when I switched to the 1/2-28 threading on the CMMG barrel... ran a 3/8" bit to open to .375" ....stuck it in a mill and opened up the "top" of the forward ports to same as the rear port... previously the rear wiper had been opened to the min diameter to thread the boss through with a 1/2-28 tap... clocked it directly to the ejection port side 90degrees from vertical (used a thin wave washer to give me easily adjustable trial positions)... with the radial delay and hydraulic buffer, the double tap shots spread to about 3" to the right at 25yd... will open ports at tad more Saturday

On 7/26/2017 at 8:05 PM, Hammer002 said:

This gets delivered tomorrow for mine.  Don't think it will serve much as a brake as we are dealing with not only 9mm, but softened 9mm, and a blowback system. However, more noise for the timer is the idea.  Had to do the same for my .22 for steel challenge.  Now that I have the PCC running my reloads, I had two reshoots Friday night USPSA and several Sunday Steel Challenge.  This should fix that, but not expecting anything else as far as function.

image.jpeg

Who's comp is this?

Friends,

This morning, I went to our local shooting range and test my PWS PCC 9.5 with upgrades.

Upgrades are: Blietzkreig Hydraulic Buffer - HD, AR-10 Carbine Buffer Spring and LANTAC DRAGON 9MM MUZZLE BRAKE

OUTCOME:

1. The hydraulic buffer with AR-10 buffer spring works. The recoil is tamed significantly onto my shoulder.

2. Re-zeroed the gun with Lantac Dragon which Started in 147g Flat Nose projectile. Zeroed in 25 yards where 10 yards is -1.3"

3. Once zeroed, I test and use the 124g factory load FMJ; the POI is too far.

Investigation:

1. I saw that there is a mark inside the left-wall of the lantac dragon. The round nose projectile is touching the inner wall of the muzzle brake.

2. I took a second look to the balance of the Lantac versus the barrel; it was a bit leaning to the right with respect to my barrel straightness.

3. Found some projectile shavings below the support sheath

The store has a good heart and understanding to refund the cost with shipping (Thanks Colin).

As of now, going to the original PWS PCC 9.5 muzzle Brake while looking for a new Lantac Dragon Store.

Please share if I am wrong and any other experience with the same.

Lantac Leaning to the right a bit.jpg

Lantac Touching inner wall.jpg

Shavings.jpg

NO COMP NEEDED ON PCC  …  here is my latest build using a Taccom ULW 5.25" barrel complete upper with a carbon fiber handguard.... timer picks shot report every time.. NO MUZZLE RISE  & VERY soft shooting....  pic below

Taccom ULW barrel & handguard (2).jpg

5 minutes ago, cecil said:

NO COMP NEEDED ON PCC  …  here is my latest build using a Taccom ULW 5.25" barrel complete upper with a carbon fiber handguard.... timer picks shot report every time.. NO MUZZLE RISE  & VERY soft shooting....  pic below

Taccom ULW barrel & handguard (2).jpg

Hello, what is your buffer set-up and ammunition weight/powder/AOL if you don’t mind😊, not to mention trigger weight

We are running the same set up and have for a couple of years on my 17 year grandaughter's PCC. Using a Taccom 3-stage buffer, CMC 9mm trigger @3.5#. 115gr RN plated Everglades bullets @ 1.12 OAL with 3.8grs of Titegroup. Dot does not move much at all.

gerritm

8 minutes ago, gerritm said:

We are running the same set up and have for a couple of years on my 17 year grandaughter's PCC. Using a Taccom 3-stage buffer, CMC 9mm trigger @3.5#. 115gr RN plated Everglades bullets @ 1.12 OAL with 3.8grs of Titegroup. Dot does not move much at all.

gerritm

Hello, what is your PF in the above load of 115g RN 3.8gTG?

Right around minor 125 or so. I have tried different bullet weights including 124s & 147 and like the way these cycle the gun. The heavier bullets seemed sluggish. Recoil is straight back into your shoulder.

This is the same load we run in our 3 pistols & pcc's. We shoot a lot of 3-gun, steel challenge, USPSA, & hoser outlaw matches and don't worry too much about PF.  If I shot a level 2 match I would probably bump it up.

gerritm

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

Right around minor 125 or so. I have tried different bullet weights including 124s & 147 and like the way these cycle the gun. The heavier bullets seemed sluggish. Recoil is straight back into your shoulder.

This is the same load we run in our 3 pistols & pcc's. We shoot a lot of 3-gun, steel challenge, USPSA, & hoser outlaw matches and don't worry too much about PF.  If I shot a level 2 match I would probably bump it up.

gerritm

Hello,

I will try your handload recipe, I am still having issues with my red dot (too much movement) yesterday during the zeroing and practice of my PWS PCC. I used 147, 124 & 115g (factory and reload) but the 115g I had were all factory load (blazer & Winchester). I will do some load tonight and I will update you my friend. I am using by the way the original Primary Weapon System PCC mitigator muzzle brake.

Edited by Orbit

I have shot open USPSA and have been shooting PCC since day 1. Using fast powders with a blowback system you don't have enough gas to make a comp operate efficiently. I tried slow powders, HS6, and it was way too dirty at lower PF. I have a JP 14.5 barrel with their pinned tac comp on my PCC & the Taccom ULW barrel & CF handguard on my granddaughters. I have shot her PCC before she confiscated it. 

So instead of worrying about working the comp I concentrated on our load, bcg weight, & buffer. I have the Taccom Extreme bcg with the weight out & 3-stage, she has a standard bcg with the weight in & 3 stage. As long as the recoil is straight back & dot movement is minimal we are good. Guns are as close to 100% reliable as possible.

Not sure if you have the newer ramped barrel, but if not get the Taccom feed ramp & install it on your upper. Best $20 I have spent.

gerritm

23 minutes ago, gerritm said:

I have shot open USPSA and have been shooting PCC since day 1. Using fast powders with a blowback system you don't have enough gas to make a comp operate efficiently. I tried slow powders, HS6, and it was way too dirty at lower PF. I have a JP 14.5 barrel with their pinned tac comp on my PCC & the Taccom ULW barrel & CF handguard on my granddaughters. I have shot her PCC before she confiscated it. 

So instead of worrying about working the comp I concentrated on our load, bcg weight, & buffer. I have the Taccom Extreme bcg with the weight out & 3-stage, she has a standard bcg with the weight in & 3 stage. As long as the recoil is straight back & dot movement is minimal we are good. Guns are as close to 100% reliable as possible.

Not sure if you have the newer ramped barrel, but if not get the Taccom feed ramp & install it on your upper. Best $20 I have spent.

gerritm

Hello,

I have the PWS PCC 9.5 9mm rifle. Previously, it has a 6.2oz buffer on it with the original buffer spring. The muzzle brake/compensator was its original mitigatory one.

Now, I installed the blitzkrieg Hydraulic Buffer - High Damped (HD) and AR-10 (308) Buffer Spring. The compensator is now the original one after the failure of the recent purchase of Lantac Dragon. I also put 4 quarters at the back of the buffer/spring for short stroke (after putting this, it eliminated the round that is going/pointing up that prevents the round from going into the barrel)

Test results yesterday after zeroing my 2 red dots in 25 yards:

1. All 147, 124 & 115grains projectiles are accurate and efficient, no FTF, no FTE, all firing

2. Tested double taps in 10 yards (range rules) ; all second shots were 8-12 inches apart to lower left, except for 147g 3.4gTG 1.120"AOL with 145pf (1 inch apart still lower left)

3. Still have recoil and lots of movement on my red dots (but within the target, unlike before the movement is way out of the target)

My barrel have no ramp but I put a bit thru Dremel and from that day onwards, all FTF is eliminated.

Plan: I will try your load and If I have extra money this coming days I will buy the 3 stage buffer that you have.

Would you mind posting the pic of your whole PCC rifle? Type/model of your buffer and kind of spring for best reference?

Edited by Orbit