I wasn't reloading Major at the time.

Got to a major event, and the first two shots thru the chrono

were <165 ... :surprise:

But, no problem, the third shot was high enough to boost the

three shots above 165.

BUT, that was too close for me.

Now I reload my own, and use WAC and 124 gr MG JHP's

at PF 168 - 170 (consistent) - makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :cheers:

1st gun - 170.5 PF with 3 port comp and 3 holes.

2nd gun - 175.2 PF with older style 3 port comp.

Criteria (for me) is make Major and shoot as flat as possible. I also shoot a little 3 gun with both guns at shoot for 135 PF.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I run 172-173PF no matter what gun or which caliber. I develop loads that give SDs in the 4 to 11 range. That is consistent enough that even the slowest load in a 20 shot string still makes Major. Plus, different chrono techniques yield slightly different results, so you have to have room for some margin of error.

Another reason is I like that PF. I've gone as high as 188 to try and get a gun flat shooting. There are no holes in any of my barrels. I've found that by matching powders to the different bullets (caliber/weight) 172-173 always seems to be the sweet spot for the comps I use. None shoot dead flat, but the recoil is tame, they are easy on the gun, reasonably quiet and the dot is well behaved.

Current primary gun commander length shorty with 2 barrel holes 8.1 gr of silhouette 124 Montana Gold jhp in FC headstamp brass at the length I load to yields about 172 pf. That's a safe margin for the chrono and where when I was working up loads the gun seemed to flatten out and track well. In other guns/ combinations of ports/comps I have loaded as high as 178 to get the dot to track the way I wanted it to.

9mm, 5", KKM barrel, 3 1/8" popple holes, CCG comp

115 gr MG CMJ

8.5 gr HS-6

1.157" oal

Win SPMP

172.5 pf

Enough margin to be sure I make major, but tends to get harsher as you approach 175+ pf.

Edited by theWacoKid