Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow and hate it

GARD72977

I waited 6 weeks for a Matt Minks CZ. Gun came in Monday. I have been dry firing and it was great. Trigger is silky smooth. Went to the range today and shot 120 rds. I never leave the range with ammo but I did not want to keep shooting it. I guess I have shot the Glock too long.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! :surprise:

I've never heard Anyone Not like a beavertail ... :mellow:

A big advantage of the gun is the weight, which dampens recoil ... :bow:

The trigger is a big advantage to most people ...

Sounds like transferring from one platform to another might take more than 120 rounds .... :cheers:

If you are a Master level shooter, you must have spent years shooting a Glock - and this

gun will undoubtedly feel "different" for you until you spend enough time with it ...

Good luck with it. :cheers:

You are a weirdo.... Just kidding, give it time and I am sure you will come to not only appreciate it, but excell with it. Local guy made GM with a glock, and now shoots a tangfollio, and is definitely a real force in production at national level. I'm not saying he wouldn't be with the glock, there is more than one name out there that can win it all with one, just saying it's not the norm any more.

Do you dislike the 1911/2011 platform too?

Give it a season. One full season of dry fire, live practice and matches. Approach everything with the mindset of mastering your new pistol. It takes time to change from what works, if you really want to change.

If not, I'm sure that I'm not the only one in line to buy it.

It's also a function of hand fit. The production Shadow didn't fit me too well. A grip expoxy job later and it was a glove, except that I was hitting the mag release during recoil. But the Shadow is a fine gun.

I'm really aggressive with the Glock. I get a lot of .12 &.13 splits. I was too cocky thinkning that the da/sa would not bother me. I dislike the trigger so much I don't think I would train with it. Recoil control is not a problem for me with the glock.

I was looking for better 20yd accuracy and the CZ sure has it. It's not the guns fault. I just like the glock more than I thought I did. I have a training session with a few guys today and really want to shoot the glock.

I'm really fast and accurate up close. I fell like I drive the gun so fast because it's light. I guess plastic striker guns fit me better.

120 rounds? Yep, it's definitely not for you!

GEEZ

Load, does it fit the CZ? OAL? Bullet diameter?

DA/SA takes at least a couple to few weeks to feel normal. The big weight difference is certainly not going to feel the same as a Glock, the guns have different strengths, light vs. heavy.

I say sell it ;)

Two weeks ago, a few of us CZ guys let a Glock shooter handle a P-09 and a 85 Combat. That next week he swung by CZC and left with an SP-01 Shadow. He shot it for the first time during the monthly IDPA classifier and barely missed SS. This guy usually scores towards the top of the SS group with his glock. He "likes" it, but doesn't love it just yet. I already called "dibs" if it goes on the chopping block!

Good Luck!

I shot a Glock 34 last year in USPSA (my first year for USPSA). I just bought an SP-01 (ordered Cajun GW parts for it). I decided to try the SP-01 with CGW parts before deciding on a Shadow. I was (and still am) a 1911 guy. I shot a DW PM-9 in IDPA last year. I like Glocks, but the SP-01 fits my hand like a glove. My point is, because I was used to a 1911, the transfer from a Glock to the SP-01 does not bother me. I agree with some of the other posters that you probably are just not used to the new CZ yet. You can shoot a Glock and a metal-framed gun well (if I can anybody can).

Wow! :surprise:

I've never heard Anyone Not like a beavertail ... :mellow:

A big advantage of the gun is the weight, which dampens recoil ... :bow:

The trigger is a big advantage to most people ...

Sounds like transferring from one platform to another might take more than 120 rounds .... :cheers:

If you are a Master level shooter, you must have spent years shooting a Glock - and this

gun will undoubtedly feel "different" for you until you spend enough time with it ...

Good luck with it. :cheers:

The SP-01 beavertail is not great. It's too short and too narrow, better than nothing though.

I guess I just want to "say it out loud" to see If it sounded stupid. I appreciate all the responses and take them serious. I have decided to stick with the Glock. I started IDPA in 8/14 but did not start training until 5/15. I have made serious gains since then. I really don't think the CZ will make me want to train the way the Glock does. My skill set is heavy tilted to the up close hosing stages. I love to train and beat my best times. I just think the CZ is better suited to a shooter that is willing to accept slower times on close targets and make it up on midrange and longer shots. I may be wrong but my gut tells me it a bad move for me.

Before I get the responses about hoser stages let me say I win most of my local matches and score most accurate often. I drive the gun hard and just like the Glock in my hand. I have a lot of respect for the CZ but its just not for me.

I think what you're experiencing is normal. When i moved to a CZ Accu Shadow i took a step back initially as i just wasn't accustomed to it. But in a short time i then took a big step forward with it. I'd say give it some time and expect a small step back until you get the feel.