Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Caliber Carbine. (PCC)

DocMedic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a great idea and a way to bring more shooters out.

That is the reason I added PCC in our Practical pistol matches, as well as our multi-gun matches this year.

shooters need to look at the big picture and encourage more people too get out and pull the trigger more often. :D

We held our monthly USPSA match yesterday which included PPC. No changes were necessary to the seven stages to accommodate the PPC division. The result -- All the PPC shooters left the match very happy and excited to do it again next month. I predict huge growth in the future PPC division.

For those allowing PCC in USPSA matches now, how do you handle "up range, surrender" starts? Seems like up range "low ready" would be a little spooky. Hands up, slung?

Just guessing here, but probably up range surrender, gun on table facing downrange. I would guess.

Asked this on FaceBook and didn't really hear a good reason not to try. Anything that prohibits holding two events at the same time? For example a USPSA Pistol match and a USPSA Multigun match. Use the same stages, tweak the WSB's for PCC and score them separately. you could also accommodate changes for things that are too goofy to do with a carbine. Weak hand only etc.

We have started running two PCC divisions at Old Bridge, Open and L10. Open is a Dot or scope, L10 is iron sights. 5-6 people at each of last two matches. Those that shot it, loved it. Does not affect the rest of the match. For starts that would create an issue, we use either a table start or a low ready start. Lots of fun, no issues.

PCC sounds awesome, and maybe it could have a separated scoring template. It would be sketchy to have an Overall list populated with pistols versus rifles.

An action steel match I shoot groups PCC shooters separately. PCC typically beats pistols by a LOT...20+ seconds.

I don't understand why you would not want them in the overalls, it is not official and I think it would be interesting to compare against the pistols. I have wondered if in a typical USPSA course if a carbine at minor could beat a major open pistol.

Jim Norman, what have your results shown on this?

For several years in the uspsa pistol match I ran we would run a rifle side match after the pistol match. We would usually reshoot one of longer pistol field courses with our ARs (not PCCs but a fair comparison) my time with an open pistol shooting major was usually faster than my time with my carbine. The points were normally better with the pistol. Now I am a low/middle of the pack M in open. I am a decent but by no means the fsstest rifle shooter. So maybe someone really quick with a rifle would be the opposite but if they put the time in shooting an open pistol... maybe not.

Now in this case none of the shots were farther than 20 yards so that probably influences this some.

As a mid A pistol shooter, every time I have tried pistol verses carbine/PCC with open targets inside 15 yards, pistol is faster. Lots of hard cover, no shoots, distance, the carbine/PCC walks by the pistol easily, at least in my hands.

As a mid A pistol shooter, every time I have tried pistol verses carbine/PCC with open targets inside 15 yards, pistol is faster. Lots of hard cover, no shoots, distance, the carbine/PCC walks by the pistol easily, at least in my hands.

Irons or dot or don't matter?

In my case the carbine had an eotech or a good 1-4 with a daylight visible dot set on 1x. That's why I figure it is a good comparison with my open pistol. The stages in question had a fair amount of hard cover and no shoots.

I only shoot Irons on pistol. However, Irons or Dot on the PCC/Carbine does not seem to result in any noticeable difference in score with the Carbine/PCC.

Aren't 1x dots and irons already on an equal footing in Multigun's Limited division?

Yes (both are division compliant).

Sounds like a compelling reason to lump PCCs in the same division regardless of the sights used, provided having a ported muzzle device/flash hider/comp on the end of the barrel doesn't change things...

Aren't 1x dots and irons already on an equal footing in Multigun's Limited division?

Yes (both are division compliant).

Sounds like a compelling reason to lump PCCs in the same division regardless of the sights used, provided having a ported muzzle device/flash hider/comp on the end of the barrel doesn't change things...

One division is enough I think its not much of an advantage to have a comp or not on these guns. I would just run this division as a run what you brung.

I don't understand why you would not want them in the overalls, it is not official and I think it would be interesting to compare against the pistols. I have wondered if in a typical USPSA course if a carbine at minor could beat a major open pistol.

Jim Norman, what have your results shown on this?

In November we had a really good Open shooter, in the combined scores he was 8 percentage points ahead of #2, also open and 20 percentage points ahead of the top PCC Shooter. We had 5 PCC shooters. In October we had 6 PCC Shooters and the top two in the combined scores were PCC. FIrst pistol shooter was Limited and was down 10 percentage points from the winner.

No one has an issue with allowing this new division and those that are shooting it are really happy about it.