Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you have never shot a USPSA match

9x45

There is no reason not to, because you can run 100% IDPA in USPSA matches. Yes, concealment, cover, tactical/sequential priority, retained mag change, all that stuff. Why? Because there is no rule against it. So a typical USPSA stage is standard start condition (gun hot and holstered), toes touching mark, hands at sides, engage all targets as they become visible from the shooting area. Give it a shot, you might like it!

I had an interesting experience last weekend. Team Pro Arms in Live Oak FL put on a match. Four stages with a fast mover, a fast 'in & out' target and a 'up down' mover... then the last stage had two paper and 14 steel, with five of them being a Texas Star.

First four stage run was shot under IDPA rules. Second run through was shot with USPSA rules, and guns.

There were six shooters there with extensive experience in both sports. Under USPSA rules their times decreased by about 40% and their points down (IDPA targets and scoring for the USPSA run) didn't change a lot.

I thought it was an interesting look at how the Rules in both sports affect the overall time/score. It was a lot of fun to shoot without a 'fishing vest' and without IDPA cover/target priority rules.

To get extra practice for IDPA Worlds last year I shot some local USPSA matches with my vest on, using my IDPA holster and some extra mag carriers in case it really went pear shaped. I shot from cover as best I could, I shot to slide lock or did a rwr. It was very challenging. It also got me toughened up to heckling.

If you only shoot one thing you'll never be as good as if you shoot both. And by good I mean just in developing your skills overall as a shooter and competitor.

I tried it a few times. It's fun to run around and squirt bullets fast without regard for cover and concealment.

I still shoot the monthly USPSA-like matches around here if there's noting else happening that day. But unlike IDPA, it's not something I would travel very far to do.

I'd like to try USPSA. But too few matches that work with my schedule. Plus if I caught the fever, I don't think I have the time to reload for it! :blush:

Just hope you never catch the 3 gun fever :0

While it would be fun to buy the gear, I'm not a fan of using scopes or shooting past 100yrds. Thankfully the club I belong to does provide the occasional multi-gun match. Pistol/Carbine matches in shallow bays. I'm definitely a fan of ARs and red dots and I can definitely crank up the speed dial with the pistol when I'm not worried about cover or hitting all zero downs. :devil:

But you will quickly dump all the IDPA aspects in favor of being more competitive. It's kind of like the 20% of shooters that say they will shoot their carry gear in IDPA and the 1% that actually do.

No kidding. Like I just said in another post, who wears a shoot-me-first vest in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in Houston there is PASS getting started and we shoot it at the weekly matches every so often. It's sort of a cross between IDPA and USPSA and I like it. Scoring like IDPA and shooting like USPSA. Check it out if you can.

Here in Houston there is PASS getting started and we shoot it at the weekly matches every so often. It's sort of a cross between IDPA and USPSA and I like it. Scoring like IDPA and shooting like USPSA. Check it out if you can.

This is how our local match was for the last few seasons. Talking about going to uspsa sanctioned next year

I shot idpa first and never shot USPSA until I was heavy into ESR. I liked the fact that I got to shoot more and reload more. I found out that I was not far off the curve of the other revolver shooters until it came to tight shots or Classifier stages. Then I was suffering. I was really at my best shooting ICORE, USPSA and idpa all with the same gun and holster. 625JM with Safariland custom fit holster. I used shoot a moons at first and then began to use north mountain moon clip holders. I have since become an eight shot revolver guy and thus have no place in idpa any longer.

Yep...PASS is the new and upcoming sport ! I'm sure I shoot with texasdawg...LOL...There is only one range ( at the moment ) that hosts PASS matches numerous times a month.AND...A PASS match in Galveston at Galveston PIstol and Rifle Range on the last Sunday of the month. Check out a PASS match near you or get in contact with the originator to get a match set up near you ! www.premiershootingsports.com Best of both worlds for sure !

9x45. Next time I squad with you at Norco I'm gonna try it. Awww who am I kidding? No I won't. However, we do run a form of the Pass matches at a local club. Use IDPA targets but USPSA rules. Figured we were to lazy to try and figure out points down

^daaahahaha

If you really like IDPA then don't shoot USPSA... You may never show up at IDPA again.

Baa Humbug they're both fun. I'm a 65 year old fart that's not in the least USPSA competive, but I still enjoy the trigger time. I don't hear IDPA bashing at the local USPSA club, in fact quite a few people shoot both formats. I suspect most of the IDPA bashing on here comes from the younger track star set. I mean really, bash "fishing,shoot me first vests" but I really don't see too many people wearing "track cleats" out at the shopping malls. Give it up OK? and a Merry Christmas to All!

Edited by jdlincoln