Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you have never shot a USPSA match

9x45

That's how it is around here, the guys that run the local IDPA matches help out with stage design and setup for our local USPSA match. Some guys are die hard for one or the other but most of us shoot everything that's available. I am glad to have both locally and do enjoy shooting both.

I started in idpa and when I did my first uspsa match it hurt my feelings how fast and accurate the shooters were.

Bwahahaha! It's reverse for USPSA shooters. If you're feeling down about your shooting, go to an IDPA match ;) I shot my first IDPA match last month, but it felt good placing well even though I'm only a B class in USPSA. (I'm not bashing IDPA, or the shooters [even though they're weird lol] - I actually had a lot of fun.)

Edited by AlphaCharis

• 3 weeks later...

I started in idpa and when I did my first uspsa match it hurt my feelings how fast and accurate the shooters were.

Bwahahaha! It's reverse for USPSA shooters. If you're feeling down about your shooting, go to an IDPA match ;) I shot my first IDPA match last month, but it felt good placing well even though I'm only a B class in USPSA. (I'm not bashing IDPA, or the shooters [even though they're weird lol] - I actually had a lot of fun.)
That's not bashing... It is very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started in IDPA... At first I was very anti-USPSA. It seemed guys were spraying and praying. After a couple of months, I started to see the value of it. I learned a lot about being more efficient with movement, it is a task needed in all shooting, even in IDPA... I love shooting both for different aspects. I also hate certain aspects of both. I would like to see this PASS league.

PASS is a marriage of IDPA and USPSA...if you will.It focuses on easy scoring,fault lines ( no cover calls ) only " fault " calls.You can shoot the stage how you want...only starting where defined.And my favorite.......you can load up your magazines in FMP Class ( Factory Modified Pistol )17 rounds AND do mag exchanges and drop wherever you deemed to be the most advantagest....with ammo still in your mag!!. It is a fast paced shooting sport that has a little od something for everyone.If Im not mistaken..2Gun and 3Gun is in the development stages aswell !! www.premieractionshootingsports.com

PASS is a marriage of IDPA and USPSA...if you will.It focuses on easy scoring,fault lines ( no cover calls ) only " fault " calls.You can shoot the stage how you want...only starting where defined.And my favorite.......you can load up your magazines in FMP Class ( Factory Modified Pistol )17 rounds AND do mag exchanges and drop wherever you deemed to be the most advantagest....with ammo still in your mag!!. It is a fast paced shooting sport that has a little od something for everyone.If Im not mistaken..2Gun and 3Gun is in the development stages aswell !! www.premieractionshootingsports.com

You had me at "no cover calls"!!!

PASS, well that's interesting. When Apple Valley was operating, we created a so called "Tactical" Division", for club members only, not for score, very similar to the PASS FSP and before carry optics, very similar to RP. I guess some other people had the same idea.

There are rules for holster position in all Divisions, LEO duty gear or not. Unless you want to run your duty gear in Limited or Open, which does not restrict holster position. In fact, appendix is legal (not legal in IDPA). There is usually no advantage to a retention duty holster, so it doesn't really matter for local matches.

• 4 weeks later...

There are rules for holster position in all Divisions, LEO duty gear or not. Unless you want to run your duty gear in Limited or Open, which does not restrict holster position. In fact, appendix is legal (not legal in IDPA). There is usually no advantage to a retention duty holster, so it doesn't really matter for local matches.

You are right, there is no advantage other then the fact I don't have to wear the vest. Though I will say that isn't the reason for using duty gear.

It is fun to watch people get excited every match(IDPA) about it. However, that is where IDPA rules got it right. From the real world side it is a great way to do the kit shake out.

You are right, there is no advantage other then the fact I don't have to wear the vest. Though I will say that isn't the reason for using duty gear.

It is fun to watch people get excited every match(IDPA) about it. However, that is where IDPA rules got it right. From the real world side it is a great way to do the kit shake out.

Can someone deputize me quick? LOL! :cheers:

There is no reason not to, because you can run 100% IDPA in USPSA matches. Yes, concealment, cover, tactical/sequential priority, retained mag change, all that stuff. Why? Because there is no rule against it. So a typical USPSA stage is standard start condition (gun hot and holstered), toes touching mark, hands at sides, engage all targets as they become visible from the shooting area. Give it a shot, you might like it!

Shot a club match once with concealment. Told the RO I was practicing for IDPA.....he called BS and said I just wanted to keep my coat on because it was cold! He was correct.

It's a game, nothing more. The more you shoot competition, the sooner you will realize that. And it was invented by some of the greatest IPSC shooters ever, Bill Wilson and his homies, in an attempt to get back to the Cooper days, which weren't really matches at, but rather critiqued scenarios. If "you solved the problem" you got a small yea, if not, you got stopped and lectured.

1983 IPSC, before digital shot timers and chronos

Bill-Wilson-Wilson-Combat-1983-ISPC-cham

I shoot both. IDPA is 30 minutes away, and for now the closest USPSA match is over an hour. I also shoot 3 gun because we have it locally and its fun. I will never be super competitive in 3 gun but will still shoot the local matches and like to RO.

I started in IDPA because thats what was close to me, and honestly thats all I knew about. I have since found out about USPSA and currently shooting both. I just classified expert in IDPA and will shoot 2 sanctioned matches this year. Also shooting at least two sanctioned USPSA matches this year.

I shot two state IDPA matches last year and got called in both for moving prior to my slide being fully in battery after a reload. I think its BS but its a rule. I am finding it harder to play IDPA after mostly training for USPSA. The vest doesnt bother me but the reloading and cover rules get a little annoying. We are working on setting up a local USPSA match and then I will likely stop shooting IDPA as much if at all. Also IDPA sanctioned matches do not have a prize table based on results, just a "lottery". So in IDPA the guy that wins the overall can go home with a trophy while the CDP Marksman in 175th place takes home a new gun. I guess in a way that does make it more fair to everyone but limits the joy of winning.

I shot my first USPSA match about 2 years ago and had such an Adrenalin rush that it was hard to reload a magazine after the first stage. The last time I came even close to that kind of Adrenalin rush was my first jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Needless to say I'm HOOKED!!! Now I usually shoot 2 USPSA matches a month and a Steel Challenge match so I need a little time to reload. In the future I'd like to shoot an IDPA match just to see what it's all about.

PS Gave up the skydiving after 5 jumps and a chute malfunction.

Edited by Batmo