Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SS suggestions

BobS761

Entry level for someone wanting to try USPSA SS division. Not really rock bottom, but reliable and trouble free out of box, with plentiful magazine options an not a lot of tuning. Hope this isn't impossible, but I truly have little experience with the 1911, and have no point of reference.

STI Trojan about $1200. Have a trigger job done on it and you are done (in 45 caliber). No mess and you can use almost anyone's magazines. I run Wilson ETMs with Dawson basepads or 47 D magazines. The gun just doesn't care and will eat FMJ, Lead or Moly-coated bullets.

The finish on the Trojan comes off pretty quickly with wear, but I GunKoted mine and it looks great. In fact, mine is for sale only because I want a Trojan in 40 so I only have to mess with one ammo size.

People will comment on forged vs. cast frames, and so on. I can tell you I am very pleased with my purchase and feel it was worth every dollar spent. STI also has a Spartan model which is cheaper if money is that tight for you but I have never owned one so can't comment on it.

Springfield Range Officer.... No frills version of the Springfield Trophy Match and TRP. It is supposed to be built to the same standards but not nearly as nice on the outside. $750 got it delivered to me and I fixed it up the way I wanted it. For me it was a semi-custom build that cost me a little over $1000.

Do you think said person will have any interest shooting Limited eventually?

If so, get the gun in 40sw. My Trojan ran factory 40 and long 40 without a problem from the start.

With Tripp System mags you have the ability to run 8 rounds of major or 10 rounds of minor 40 and still fit the box. I just don't see the need for 45acp in SS unless that is the only caliber you shoot, or you're 65. :roflol: (Gonna go run and hide now...)

I just don't see the need for 45acp in SS unless that is the only caliber you shoot, or you're 65. :roflol: (Gonna go run and hide now...)

If you're starting from scratch, that makes sense. I personally got a trojan .45 because I already had a sig 45 I could use as a backup, but if you don't have a good source of 45 brass it's a little more of a pain. I do also prefer the slow roll of a bigger heavier bullet compared to the snap of a lighter one, but I am old.

Do you think said person will have any interest shooting Limited eventually?

If so, get the gun in 40sw. My Trojan ran factory 40 and long 40 without a problem from the start.

With Tripp System mags you have the ability to run 8 rounds of major or 10 rounds of minor 40 and still fit the box. I just don't see the need for 45acp in SS unless that is the only caliber you shoot, or you're 65. :roflol: (Gonna go run and hide now...)

Gonna be .45. Already set up for limited .40 minor with an XDm I like pretty well. Also use it for 3 gun. Another reason for .45 is maybe HM in 3 gun. Plus, dang it, a .45 ACP 1911 is purely badass. Thanks for all the input! I'll take a serious look at the STI offerings.

I bought a 45 ACP 1911 because anyone who thinks of them self as a "gun guy" should own one. When I was doing my research, a Springfield Loaded was a pretty universal recommendation. It didn't have the FO, but that's not hard to fix. I ultimately bought a Dan Wesson Heritage because I got a great deal and I'm a CZ Fanboy. First match with this gun will be next Saturday. It's going to by my IDPA gun in CDP.

Kind of depends on how serious you are gonna pursue Single Stack. If you are looking for an alternate division to shoot from time to time and are not planning to run 100k rounds through the pistol, than a Trojan or a Spartan or a Springfield Range Officer will work out great. The plus in favor of the STI guns is that they all come with tool steel internals and quality barrels. Even the Spartan. The Springfields come with MIM internals, which will work fine for about 10k rounds and then you will need a trigger job. If you are planning to put some milage on the gun, then you want a forged frame gun and the price jumps up a bit. The very cheapest, quality 1911 with a forged frame, good barrel, front strap checkering, an adjustable rear sight and tool steel internals is the STI Lawman. They are actually on sale at Shooters Connection now. http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-50-Lawman-45-ACP-BrownTan-Stocked-Item-P2151.aspx

Edited by co-exprs

Kind of depends on how serious you are gonna pursue Single Stack. If you are looking for an alternate division to shoot from time to time and are not planning to run 100k rounds through the pistol, than a Trojan or a Spartan or a Springfield Range Officer will work out great. The plus in favor of the STI guns is that they all come with tool steel internals and quality barrels. Even the Spartan. The Springfields come with MIM internals, which will work fine for about 10k rounds and then you will need a trigger job. If you are planning to put some milage on the gun, then you want a forged frame gun and the price jumps up a bit. The very cheapest, quality 1911 with a forged frame, good barrel, front strap checkering, an adjustable rear sight and tool steel internals is the STI Lawman. They are actually on sale at Shooters Connection now. http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-50-Lawman-45-ACP-BrownTan-Stocked-Item-P2151.aspx

This is the reason I purchased the RO and swapped all internals, so it ultimately cost less than the Trojan....

I would not have considered buying the RO without swapping parts out. The thing is I would have swapped most of those parts anyway no matter what 1911 I buy, so I just couldn't make my self buy a $1200 pistol and put ~$200-300 versus a $750 pistol and put ~$200-300 into it.

I think the Trojan is a excellent choice, but it was more than I wanted to spend overall.

So my dad wants to get a 1911, and shoot it in Single Stack. He is a Ruger fanboy, and everything I/he have heard or seen says its a great gun for the money.

Now, it is going to be his first 1911 and he wants it to be a 45. Because he is old school like that, and wants one in the traditional caliber. Is there any real disadvantage to shooting a 45 in Limited 10, should he choose to do so?

Does anybody here shoot an SR1911 in USPSA?

Edited by Gooldylocks

No disadvantage to 45 in L10, Mr Leatham keeps winning with a 1911 45

40's great if you shoot limited also

What the heak the more guns and ammo the better!

I'd go STI, Para or Sig before ruger. that's just my O from working on them

But they will all need some trigger work

Now, it is going to be his first 1911 and he wants it to be a 45. Because he is old school like that, and wants one in the traditional caliber. Is there any real disadvantage to shooting a 45 in Limited 10, should he choose to do so?

I had to make this 40 v 45 decision when I decided to do Single Stack. My decision was pretty easy since I just asked one of the USPSA Single Stack Jedi Masters which caliber to go with when I was at Steel Challenge 2013 and he said 40. Decision made. His primary reasoning was you could go with 40 minor if you decided to go that route and if you standardized on 40, you were set for limited.

I also went with 40 for cost containment purposes. 40 is just cheaper when you're shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds.

That said, I'd never tell anyone who decided to go with 45 that they made a bad decision. It comes down to personal preference and, let's face it, when the Lord Jehovah appeared before His servant, John Moses Browning, He told him to build a 1911 in the caliber of 45.

plus no primer changes on the reloader

Main reason I went with a .40 in my SS. I load for 9mm and .40 and didn't want to get into a whole other caliber. Happy with my Trojan .40 and 9mm, which I got slightly used with 4 mags for $725 off Gunbroker.

This may help...

The Springfield and STI have Fully Adjustable sights. The Sig has Novaks. The Springfield is not Checkered. The STI has their STIppled frontstrap. The Sig is 25 lpi Checkered. Only the Sig has a magwell and an ambi safety. The Springfield has the lowest MSRP of about $960. The STI and Sig are very close at $1222 and $1213 MSRP.

A friend has the Sig and absolutely loves it. I've shot it several times and even borrowed it for a backup to take along to a few matches last year. It is exceptional and came with 5 eight round mags!

I have had a Springfield Range Officer since they came out and it is a great gun. I chose to checker it myself and had to have it refinished. (The checkering file and fixture cost about $150 plus you really should know what you are doing before you tackle this)

I use a Dawson Ice magwell and Tripp Cobra mags with the Dawson base pads. (about an extra $300 invested there)

I am using VZ Recon Grips. ($69)

I had an ambi safety from Wilson Combat floating around so no extra cost there.

I traded a Remington 1187 with an extended tube and bolt handle for the gun. I figure I had about $750 in the trade.

Total Cost : $1300 approx counting the refinish

If you want to "plug and play" and have all the features like checkering and an ambi safety plus good mags try the Sig. That is coming from a lifelong Springfield Armory fanatic mind you.

SA Range Officer

PI9129LP_1200x782.png

Sig Tac Ops

sig-sauer-1911-tacops-left.jpg

STI Trojan

Trojan_14_1a.jpg

Edited by JerryShoots