Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SS suggestions

BobS761

So my dad wants to get a 1911, and shoot it in Single Stack. He is a Ruger fanboy, and everything I/he have heard or seen says its a great gun for the money.

Now, it is going to be his first 1911 and he wants it to be a 45. Because he is old school like that, and wants one in the traditional caliber. Is there any real disadvantage to shooting a 45 in Limited 10, should he choose to do so?

Does anybody here shoot an SR1911 in USPSA?

Ruger SR1911 is great for Single Stack (Eight Round Mag)or Limit-10 (10 Round) I use Chip McCormick power mag

I have two Trojans (one inf .40 and one in .45). I can attest to the quality and have experienced their warranty dept. Amazing service with a one day turn around time when the barrel on a new pistol needed to be replaced (issue with the angle of the .40 feed ramp when trying to use 10 round magazines). STI is an excellent company.

So my dad wants to get a 1911, and shoot it in Single Stack. He is a Ruger fanboy, and everything I/he have heard or seen says its a great gun for the money.

Now, it is going to be his first 1911 and he wants it to be a 45. Because he is old school like that, and wants one in the traditional caliber. Is there any real disadvantage to shooting a 45 in Limited 10, should he choose to do so?

Does anybody here shoot an SR1911 in USPSA?

I have been shooting limited 10 with a Ruger CMD. set up more for carry not matches but it was the only one I had to start shooting matches with.

I have over 20,000 rounds out of it with stock internals... No issues, no complaints.

Oh and since I'm a Springfield nut I just gotta say this... If you can afford the price tag get the Springfield Trophy Match. It has everything you will ever want and will match or out shoot anything you put it up against.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205740

Might want to take a look at this.

Edited by doc88

• 3 weeks later...

I started USPSA with a STI Trojan in .45acp. Great gun, and my experience with STI mirrors those above. After shooting a 2011 in Limited for a few years I decided I wanted a 1911 in .40 so had one built by a local gunsmith. Cost was pretty close to buying a new Trojan plus some upgrades, so that was a no brainer for me. I wanted a .40 to keep the ammo the same as my Limited gun, easier to Make Ready since no need to barney, slightly cheaper component costs, and lastly I found I just like the recoil impulse of a major PF .40 over the major PF .45. Plus I can use the same Tripp Corey mags in SS and L-10 depending on which follower I have installed. In a .45 you're talking a separate set of mags to load 10.

This year I'm planning on flying to SS Nats and 100 rnds of .40 weighs about 1 lb less than 100 rnds of .45, so that means I can carry more ammo in my luggage.

.45 1911? Great gun. .40 1911, maybe a little more versatile.