Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many divisions do you shoot?

I'll be getting my feet wet in production division. But for those of you who've been shooting comps for a while now, how many divisions do you shoot? Is your production gun different brand/make than your limited, open, etc?

Do most comp shooters end up having to focus on 1 division or another in order to really excel, or have some really great shooters ruled them all?

I think it all depends what your goals are: if you're hell bent on becoming a GM, it's probably best to focus on one gun and train like hell :ph34r:

Personally, I have three small children so I limit myself to one match per month; if the kids are in bed, the dishes are done and I have a moment to myself I would always rather tinker with gun projects than dryfire or run drills. I don't currently have any interest in traveling for matches or shooting at Nationals, I'm a solid C class shooter, moving into B pretty quickly so I'm pretty satisfied with the sport right now. I'm a gun junkie, so I have nearly two dozen guns for Open, Limited and Production, but I always seem to reach for an Open gun on match day :devil: .

Maybe when my progress slows I'll switch to Limited for a while, just to change it up, but Open really is a lot of fun!

From what I see most people find a division that suits them and shoot that almost exclusively for a while, some then stay in the same division for years, some change divisions every season or two, and a very few shoot something different all the time, I remember seeing a article in front sight a few years ago that showed how many people were classified in all six of the divisions and I believe it was only about 280. I have been known to shoot a different gun and division Saturday and Sunday, but the last year or so I have only been shooting open and production.

I shoot one Division per year. I think it has helped me stay focused on when to reload (Single Stack) and when NOT to reload after shooting Single Stack (Limited. Nothing like shooting an 8 round array, then dropping the 12 rounds still left in the mag. Or what usually happens when I go back to Single Stack, NOT reloading after shooting 8 rounds.

There are approx 24000 shooters in the USPSA database

Open - 18000

Limited - 13500

L10 - 17900

SS - 19300

Prod - 15600

Revo - 22000

I'd say there are a few that shoot multiple disciplines.

Open - 18000

Limited - 13500

L10 - 17900

SS - 19300

Prod - 15600

Revo - 22000

I when back and checked that chart.. you're including all the 'U' shooters. while some are really unclassified, that number added to the classified numbers = 23,522 - for all divisions

the larger the number the less shooters there are in that division

I shoot all but Open

Edited by D.Hayden

Kneelingatlas pegged it on the first sentence!

I shot Limited with a G22 to start because there was just that and Open and Open seemed silly. After a dalliance with HP, IDPA and Pins, I got a G35 and did all I could to it with the goal of A class. I put in a huge amount of dryfire and practice for about 6 weeks a few years back and made A class, sold the G35s and went to Production with M&P9s. Using the same firearm in Production and Tactical in 3Gun does benefit what limited trigger time and practice I manage to eek out.

But I still like my 1911s and shoot them once in a while in SS and Lim10. I used to shoot the 610 in IDPA and a few times in Revo, but that is now removed from both sports due to rule changes. I hope my eyesight never gets so bad that I have to shoot open, but if I do it will be a 9mm with a slide mounted optic.

If you want to be the best of the best, you are better to pick one and become one with it. If you don't have that goal, just realize that switching does diminish performance slightly until you get back in the groove.

My club lets you shoot the match twice if you want to stay. $15 for the first go round and $5 if you switch divisions to cover the classifier. I have been shooting production but occasionally have shot the second go around with a SS gun. I notice that my performance is generally lower with the SS. Wouldn't think tha a couple less rounds would make much of a difference. Might be attributable to the .45 loads and I don't practice as much with my 1911.

Open - 18000

Limited - 13500

L10 - 17900

SS - 19300

Prod - 15600

Revo - 22000

That Has To Be 2,200; Can't possibly be 22,000???

And, I doubt there are 17000 L10's or 19000 SS shooters. :sight:

Open - 18000

Limited - 13500

L10 - 17900

SS - 19300

Prod - 15600

Revo - 22000

I when back and checked that chart.. you're including all the 'U' shooters. while some are really unclassified, that number added to the classified numbers = 23,522 - for all divisions

the larger the number the less shooters there are in that division

I shoot all but Open

But when you add up all of the classified numbers you get 34588. So 50% of the membership is classified in at least 2 divisions. How many have shot other divisions but are not classified?

I've got B classification in Limited, Limited 10, Production and Single Stack. I've been at it a little over 3 years. I just got a new CZ Tac Sport so I'll get a high cap mag and try to get a classification in Open too with no optic. Just seems like fun.

I have shot Production almost exclusively, with a very brief two-match stint in Lim10 when my Production gun was off getting some work done and I shot my (at the time) .40 carry gun. I didn't get enough classifiers to have a Lim10 classification, though.

I unfortunately don't have the funds to expand to different Divisions. I upgraded my Production gun this past year, for the cost of which I could have gotten a nice SS or Revo, but then I'd have to add in all the accessories and loading gear, too. Maybe someday. But for now, I'm content with one Division.

Hello: I shoot all 6 and I am classified in all 6. I don't think that there are too many that are classified in all 6. I think I heard only about 250 where a couple of years ago. I need to shoot more revolver maybe when it cools down here in the fall. Thanks, Eric

Right now I am only classified in Limited 10 but shooting a classifier match in Single Stack next weekend. Also shoot Limited but not classified yet. Might shoot Production if the feeling strikes. I like shooting different guns. Makes it fun.

Revolver ( C ), Limited 10 ( C ), and Limited (U). Primary gun is the revolver, but, I feel it makes me a much better shooter for the other classes.......

Edited by UFO

It sounds a bit like you have two questions in there. One about how many shoot multiple divisions and another asking if you shoot multiple divisions whether you shoot the same basic platform across all.

My home had always been Production division with Glocks. Occasionally I would throw on a magwell and load up the 140mm mags but that was mostly for 3 Gun. I did build an Open Glock and ran that for several months and even though I don't think Glock is the best platform for Open, I do feel that I learned a lot and when I went back to Production I was better at calling my shots and moving between positions.

More recently I switched to CZs in Production. I purchased a CZ TS in 9mm for 3 Gun to keep the basic controls the same even though there are a few major differences. I had been considering using my Production gun for 3 Gun and I purchased all of the magazines and other accessories needed to run it competitively but the trigger on the TS is so nice that I think I will keep using it for that game.

I have Area 8 at the end of next month so this month I will be sticking exclusively to my Production gun until that match is over. Then I will pick up and run my CZ TS hard until the FNH 3 Gun match at the end of September.

Edited by alma

Limited when I want to feel like I am shooting a "real" gun, then normally Open when I get tired of old eyes and undiluted recoil, then normally Production after watching a couple vids of Eric G., then Limited when I realize my accuracy skills do not mix well with minor scoring. Repeat as necessary.

The right answer is "whatever floats your boat". Some people like to shoot, play and tinker and enjoy the experience. Some people train diligently to improve. For me personally, I find that sticking with one division for many months at a time is what helps me improve, dry-firing every day and shooting 2-3 matches per month. I personally don't like going back and forth all the time because it takes me a week or two of dryfire and live fire practice to really start feeling like I can draw and reload without thinking about it.

I have also found that sometimes you get in a rut, and it can help to switch divisions for a few months if that gets you excited about shooting and practicing again. Right now I'm focused on production, but planning to switch to singlestack for the winter after nationals in the fall.

I find it especially helpful to have a particular goal or big match in that division. Last year it was L10 nats (with my 1911), so I shot L10 all summer and then went back to production after nationals.

Try a few things, but if you really want to improve, I would recommend focusing on one division for long periods of time.