Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

RDA

b1gcountry

v1911

What I said was that you will not see any real amounts of Clays. Allow me to be specific. I'm not talking about Universal Clays or International Clays. I'm talking about Hodgdon Clays. You know, the Clays that everyone wants.

Hodgdon clays. Yes. If i meant international clays I would have said international. I could post a picture, but then you would probably say it was an old bottle...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone loves a conspiracy! :cheers:

I recall when the Clays production went down seeing all (or at least some) of the major online retailers putting up notices that they would not take back orders and any existing back orders were cancelled. Now that Clays is back in production with no back orders to fill, sure its showing up on the shelves in a seemingly quick manner. And its disappearing as fast if not faster than anything else.

While it doesn't stay available long, I'm seeing more and more popular powders available for slightly longer times. This tells me some people are getting their fill or at least as much as they are willing to buy at market prices. We are still a long way from going to any on-line retailers to buy whatever we want in any quantity we want and a low price, but it seems to be getting easier to find good powders at decent prices if you act quickly when you see it.

If you say you got regular Clays then I believe you. If you say that the pipeline is filled with regular clays then I would disagree with you. There is a huge backlog of unfilled clays orders out there. They are not going to be filled in a month or two.

I agree there is a lot of pent up demand for Clays, no doubt. However, for a very long time on-line retails have not been taking back orders for pistol powder, any powder. When the Clays production line went down I know some (I assume many if not most) retailers would not take backorders since there was no way to project when it would be available.

I contend (yes, it's an opinion) there are not two years of backorders to fill since no one has been taking backorders for two years - at the retail to consumer level,

I suspect that even Hodgdon cancelled orders when the facility went down and only when they had a production schedule did they accept orders. In terms of supply line, Clays is practically a new product with a large demand.

I agree there is a lot of pent up demand for Clays, no doubt. However, for a very long time on-line retails have not been taking back orders for pistol powder, any powder. When the Clays production line went down I know some (I assume many if not most) retailers would not take backorders since there was no way to project when it would be available.

I contend (yes, it's an opinion) there are not two years of backorders to fill since no one has been taking backorders for two years - at the retail to consumer level,

I suspect that even Hodgdon cancelled orders when the facility went down and only when they had a production schedule did they accept orders. In terms of supply line, Clays is practically a new product with a large demand.

Makes you wonder how much Clays is sitting in shipping containers backlogged on the West Coast because of the work slowdown on the docks.

Jay

I realize that it is easier to procure powder locally rather than the big on-line suppliers. And I realize that my experience is not the law of the land. However, I have several 8# orders for HP-38 and W231 with 3 different well known resellers. All three are 14+ months old. HP-38 and W231 have been in production all along, they did not suffer a line stoppage as Clays has.

I have been able to buy HP-38 and W231 in small quantities locally. I have also seen where other on-line suppliers have some quantities available but have sold out quickly. In the case of Clays, yes there might be some available in the near but it will be many months before the situation with respect to availability is anywhere normal. During the time I've been waiting for delivery of my above mentioned HP-38/W231, I have bought a large amount of pistol powders. It's out there I would not argue otherwise but to say it's anywhere near normal just isn't the reality.

By the way, I personally like Hodgdon better than al the other suppliers with respect to how they do business and how they perform. You know, great powder is not much of a good thing if you cannot buy any. But my liking of Hodgdon that isn't saying much, all the powders suppliers seem to have this cloak of secrecy spread over them. Why they cannot bring themselves to give us, the longsuffering handloader a little glimse into the supply situation is hard to explain.

When the day comes that I see an 8# keg of Clays sitting on a shelf at my LGS I will buy one but thankfully I have enough pistol powder to last a good while and I'll let those who really crave the clays have their needs fill first. In other words, I'm not going to get myself all wacked out trying to get clays but will get some when it's easy to do so. Which will probably not be in the year 2015 but I hope I'm wrong.

At least Chris Hodgdon did a video interview to answer questions about the shortages. I didn't get any powder from watching it, but at least they value their customer enough to stand up and answer a few questions. On the other hand I contacted Powder Valley (see post 498) and suggested they do the same. Never got a reply.....

Local shop in Moultrie, Ga has 8 pound jugs of red dot green dot, and numerous 1 pound jugs of silhouette. Plus, titewad and Longshot in one pound containers. Said they had power pistol, Titegroup, and"clays" coming in later in the week as well!

post-54020-0-47784900-1424898028_thumb.j

RDA

b1gcountry

v1911

What I said was that you will not see any real amounts of Clays. Allow me to be specific. I'm not talking about Universal Clays or International Clays. I'm talking about Hodgdon Clays. You know, the Clays that everyone wants.

What is a "real amount"? I saw Clays (regular Clays, not Universal and not International) on the shelf for $20 per pound. This was a small LGS but they had it. I doubt they are the only LGS in the country to have it as I know of two other LGS in NE Ohio that had it as well. The fact remains, we hadn't seen it in two years and now the line in Australia is back up and running and there are reports of Clays being sold in various parts of the country.

I realize that it is easier to procure powder locally rather than the big on-line suppliers. And I realize that my experience is not the law of the land. However, I have several 8# orders for HP-38 and W231 with 3 different well known resellers. All three are 14+ months old. HP-38 and W231 have been in production all along, they did not suffer a line stoppage as Clays has.

I have been able to buy HP-38 and W231 in small quantities locally. I have also seen where other on-line suppliers have some quantities available but have sold out quickly. In the case of Clays, yes there might be some available in the near but it will be many months before the situation with respect to availability is anywhere normal. During the time I've been waiting for delivery of my above mentioned HP-38/W231, I have bought a large amount of pistol powders. It's out there I would not argue otherwise but to say it's anywhere near normal just isn't the reality.

I have seen quite a lull in HP-38 and Win231 locally (not much in the past year) but recently it has been available locally in 1#, 4# and 8# units.

Are things normal? Define normal. If you are saying normal is having all possible powders available in all sizes all the time at your local LGS at reasonable prices, I guess things aren't normal (not sure that normal ever existed). But it is better than it has been over the last couple of years, there are more pistol powders available in more sizes at reasonable pricing based on my observations.

Edited by RDA

I'll be glad when this post is closed....one big circle...Over and over....

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

Yea, I won't know what to do with myself when I'm not reading this thread or checking Gunbot several times a day. Maybe I'll learn to shoot straight.

I was just at Belding & Mull in Phillipsburg PA and picked up several pounds of VV350 and they had more. They also had unique, bullseye, promo, longshot and several others that I can't think of right now.

Just looked at their website. They don't seem to sell powder on line. Would really like to fine some Bullseye.