Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is camo clothing frowned upon at matches?

i shoot Uspsa and IdPA on a regular basis. I rarely see anyone wearing camo pants or the like. many BDU style, but they are solid colors. long time ago I recall being told that camo and tactical stuff was frowned upon in these sports

Any truth to this?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, generally frowned upon.
Once upon a time officially "discouraged" in the USPSA rule book.
From the 2004 Rule Book
5.3.1 The use of camouflage or other similar types of military or police
garments is discouraged. The exception is competitors who are
law enforcement or military personnel. The Match Director will
be the final authority.
Current Rule Book
5.3.1 The use of offensive or objectionable garments is not allowed. The
Match Director will have final authority in respect of what garments
competitors are allowed to wear.

Probably depends on where you are. Here in redneckotopia, people routinely wear camo pants to work at office jobs, and no one really seems to care or notice if you wear them to a match.

Personally, I wore camo for 9 years, so now that I don't have to wear it, I wear plaid shorts.

My thought is that its a perception issue. When I am at a gun show and see several guys come in dressed like the are taking the place by force it kind of gives the wrong impression. Our club has had a few show up for a match in assault gear or SWAT type attire and equipment and for me it is just funny. Kind of reminds me of playing cowboys and indians as a kid.

If there are rules as to dress, then they should be followed. If not, well hopefully more people will consider the message they are sending then not.

Just my .02 cents worth !

I don't like seeing them in matches. But I don't really find them in violation of the current rules so I just ignore it.

Now, plaid shorts I do find offensive!

I don't like seeing them in matches. But I don't really find them in violation of the current rules so I just ignore it.

Now, plaid shorts I do find offensive!

Come on Sarge, sometimes I play golf after a match and there's no time to change!!!

I don't see why anyone would give a rat's ass what kind of shorts or pants someone was wearing. Not having anything to do with the OP, but anyone who gives a damn about that kind of piddly crud needs not be so concerned about another adult's choice of outerwear . Does it affect your shooting ? Their shooting ? Anyone else's shooting ? The answer SHOULD be NO. If someone was wearing ALL camo and you were having a 3 gun match that had shooting in the woods and stuff, fine I could see why that would be dangerous, pretty much the only way though .

For a couple of the tactical guys, it's easy to snicker and say , wtf are you doing here ? But , they may not be shooting the match for the same reason you or I do . I know of some police forces that encourage their guys to go out and shoot matches with their duty gear and they shoot the matches more tactically. Will they win? prob not , but i for one , am happy that they are out practicing their shooting skills in active environments. I'll still snicker a little but to myself.

I personally am not a redneck nor in redneckistan , but i LOVE camo shorts . Always have , always will. So if i want to print out a fancy jersey from tech-ware ..... camo shorts most certainly will make an appearance .

I think it is the overall appearance of the clothing. Come to the match wearing a tight fitting camo shirt of the Realtree or Mossy variety tucked into jeans of some sort and I would not think anything about it. Come to the match wearing more of the BDU variety to include shirt, pantsand boots and I would likely have a different opinion.

Hunting camo shirt or pants OK.

Both. Maybe, maybe not.

BDU/Tactiical camo pants. OK, they have good pockets.

BDU/Tactical camo shirt. Probably not because they are not designed to be tucked in.

Both. No

I used to shoot a lot of IDPA when I was stationed in Texas and I had an old BDU top with the sleeves cut out that I wore as a cover garment. A lot of the other shooters were current or former military and old BDUs were cheap (free), so it was pretty common. Now that I'm out I only wear camo when I'm in the woods chasing critters, but there are a lot of nice looking shirts out there in camo these days.

As far as tactical gear, I can understand a guy who is active military or LEO wanting to shoot in his duty gear from time to time. I don't get the whole Tactical Teddy thing though, I've spent a lot of time in body armor, MOLLE gear, ect. and I wouldn't want to run a stage with all of that crap hanging off of me. Who am I to judge though? I just roll my eyes and go on.

Way back when some States had (maybe still do) laws against paramilitary training. Disallowing camo was a means, or intention, to avoid any stigma of being paramilitary training, and signify practical shooting was a sport.

In those days camo was not allowed except for military personnel.

Back then the general public was not as supportive of the military.

Shirts with controversial slogans were also banned.

Guy

I was forced to wear it for too long so now I refuse. I still really don't understand the Iraq War Reenactor thing. There are small bands of them around here and none of them were in any branch of the military... bizarre. I'm sure they think I am an idiot because I don't scan after a stage so to each his own I guess.

However, I have a beard because I hate to shave and I am already married, I hate the term 'operator beard' because it makes me self conscious.