Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is camo clothing frowned upon at matches?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02 cents,

I wear khaki cargo pants, and hi-viz green, yellow, red, orange shirts, I sure don't want some em hog headed hillbillys shooting me.

I don't and will not wear any bill board shirts or ball caps, that is not a sponsorship.

Sponsorships pay entry fees, food, lodging, gasoline, ammo, they are few and far like miles apart. JMOpinion.

I'm still mad about the ammo & related products man made shortage. The Shooting Sports Organizations have been quiet as a church house mouse, except The NRA they seem to be the only ones with big bullets.

Oh! well be careful,

Wear BRIGHT COLORS,

Perry

I personally don't like to see civilians in military attire because I'm in the military and earned that right like numerous others. Still being in the military I find it disrespectful and often pisses me off to see some guy who looks like trash wearing my uniform like rags or sh$$ at a match or around town. Now granted in the military we have or issues as well. Not saying current or retired military are better just If you want to dress and play soldier then join the military I don't even care what branch. If you are not going to join at least respect the uniform and what it stands for. I view it like the American flag it's not just cloth or a flag it's a symbol and you don't see guys at matches running around draped in flags all full of holes,dirt,mud, and torn to shreds.

Edited by deerassassin22

I personally don't like to see civilians in military attire because I'm in the military and earned that right like numerous others. Still being in the military I find it disrespectful and often pisses me off to see some guy who looks like trash wearing my uniform like rags or sh$$ at a match or around town. Now granted in the military we have or issues as well. Not saying current or retired military are better just If you want to dress and play soldier then join the military I don't even care what branch. If you are not going to join at least respect the uniform and what it stands for. I view it like the American flag it's not just cloth or a flag it's a symbol and you don't see guys at matches running around draped in flags all full of holes,dirt,mud, and torn to shreds.

As much as I get where you are coming from, for every military service member there are probably 10 wannabes. Don't forget the "tactical Timmy" crowd who would crap their pants if the were dropped off at an OP in the middle of the night on a real battlefield.

Thanks for serving Brother! :bow:

Yeah that is very true no problem same to you 1sg. It's just a peev of mine like calling 1SG's TOP drives me crazy

Better than First Shirt, I live on an Air Farce base and hear that... it makes no sense whatsoever

Never got that either. First shirt you see in the morning? :unsure:

I like to wear cargo shorts, weather permitting, and some have a camo pattern, although not US military. But I wouldn't dream of cutting up my old BDU trousers to make shorts. Nor would I wear them at a match, and never blouse my boots.

Yes, generally frowned upon.
Once upon a time officially "discouraged" in the USPSA rule book.
From the 2004 Rule Book
5.3.1 The use of camouflage or other similar types of military or police
garments is discouraged. The exception is competitors who are
law enforcement or military personnel. The Match Director will
be the final authority.
Current Rule Book
5.3.1 The use of offensive or objectionable garments is not allowed. The
Match Director will have final authority in respect of what garments
competitors are allowed to wear.

I learn something new every day!

Frowned upon? Yes.

Camo shorts are fine for civilians.

Camo "outfits" look ridiculous on civilians.

The attitude at my club has always been we are serious competitive shooters.

We are not role playing.

Edited by Jman

Now to play devil's advocate. What if there is a civilian who isn't on the competitive side of things , but the defensive and tactical side. Now he is not former military , or a leo, but he's an instructor or just someone who is really into the survival thing. I can't think of a better place to practice those skills in a live fire environment then a match, be it 3 gun or uspsa, etc etc. So his gear may just be a bit on the tommy tactical side , and yeah full on camo would be a bit much . But we're all guilty of talking shit on that guy when really he's just there for a different reason and it equates to more money going into a match and more people going to a match, which is never a bad thing as long as they are safe shooters.

That being said , i'd still talk shit , but just not as loudly as I would he were a friend. I may bust out laughing when someone pie's a corner though

Outside "Rednecktopia", I think Redneckphobia was in play in the 2004 rule book following Oklahoma City. If you pay your match fee and your clothing is safe and covers the ugly parts you're ok aside from the standard shooter ridicule. :)

There are more important things to worry about. We don't object to Tactical Tommies at the club - their tacticool gear makes it easier to distinguish the guys most likely to break a safety rule.

Excellent. I can finally wear my favorite jacket! It should even serve as an IDPA cover garment:

SFDK.jpg

Dang it.

I just read 5.3.1 again. That pesky "objectionable garment" bit might prevent me from wearing my Caltrans camo jacket with fur hood.

If it's camo you bought, you look silly. If it's camo you were issued, and you're wearing it because you don't want to tear up your real clothes, it's understandable. Nobody likes a poser.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I saw this post. Ida never imagined this could potentially be a discussion.

Then again, I was a biker for years and enjoyed seeing everyone's individual expressions at all the gatherings.

Bikers are pretty accepting to that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

At our local matches, there are very few guys who rock the tacticool style or wear camo. When they do show up, they are treated respectfully. Most of these guys have never mentioned serving in the armed forces or law enforcement.

All my camo is nice hunting clothing, so it is stored in a scent proof bin until archery season. No way I would foul it up by wearing it to a match. :)

My match clothes are universally cargo shorts or jeans and a comfy button down short sleeve shirt. Neither of which I mind getting dirty.

LIke a technical polo covered in logos is soo cool when matched with cleats..... But I will agree with the sentiment that it is OK to be a beginner and get a little excited about the sport and show it in the "outfit" you wear shooting. What is much less OK is to be a poser.

Who cares? Shoot and have fun! Camo is everywhere these days. Shooting shirts are getting more popular as the price comes down and availability increases. People who worry about what you wear need to get a life.

I'm a multiple offender....camo shorts, shooting shirt, and cleats....

Personally, I think "Tactical Barbies" is a better term...

I don't really care what they wear - other than if they showed up in an "imitation" uniform - but, TMK, I've never seen that.

But the attitudes the survivalists tend to express can be hilarious.

If any of us were serious about that, we'd all be shooting pocket guns, in work clothes...

Well as someone who WEARS a tac vest at matchs, mainly because some outlaw matchs we shoot it's helpful/necessary , so when I shoot, I want MY gear setup the way I SHOOT it most.

Any how, we went to a monthly alphabet match ONCE, with our gear, and were told to leave, they didn't even ask if we were Mil/LEO anything, just an attitude.

Needless to say we have NEVER been back, I have better things to do with my time than shoot with a bunch of snobs.

ETA; I find it quite funny those guys, are many of the same lamenting the lack of new/younger shooters, wondering why people never come back, 3 of the 5 I shoot with regularly are in their 20's, you think they will be joining your group, HIGHLY unlikley

Edited by toothandnail