Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is camo clothing frowned upon at matches?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iraq War reenactors? Is that a thing people do? The first time I heard about it was an Onion article. Maybe I'm optimistic but I hoped people were better than that.

This end of Colorado there are a ton of people who are either active, reserve, or former military of some sort or another. They've got piles of current and former work gear, and nobody's going to get on them because they're not on duty or active duty.

There's also a pile of people who don't go complete commando, but instead wear the shiniest 5.11 everything with a "SHEEPDOG UNDEAD CQB KILLER SQUAD" T-shirt to top it all off. I roll my eyes a little, but I've never met anyone with an outright bad attitude, so it's all aesthetic. Someone wants to get better at shooting because it might help them not die someday, I can respect that. More importantly, they pick up brass and help tear down.

That said, I learned at a 3gun match there's certainly a safety angle to consider. With everyone wearing the same tactical dirt colored crap, I _really_ do not like being the last person downrange or not having a squad headcount. I found myself behind a wall when I saw an RO looking for legs, and then I bought some neon green running clothes...

Well as someone who WEARS a tac vest at matchs, mainly because some outlaw matchs we shoot it's helpful/necessary , so when I shoot, I want MY gear setup the way I SHOOT it most.

Any how, we went to a monthly alphabet match ONCE, with our gear, and were told to leave, they didn't even ask if we were Mil/LEO anything, just an attitude.

Needless to say we have NEVER been back, I have better things to do with my time than shoot with a bunch of snobs.

ETA; I find it quite funny those guys, are many of the same lamenting the lack of new/younger shooters, wondering why people never come back, 3 of the 5 I shoot with regularly are in their 20's, you think they will be joining your group, HIGHLY unlikley

Your location mentions you were in Versailles -- the IPSC rulebook, as others have mentioned, is more explicit about things that look military than in the US. Did the people who booted you have a bad attitude about it, or were they more like "Excuse me, the rules don't permit military-style clothing?"

For the record, I'm 26 and more likely to shoot in running clothes than any sort of tactical/camo/surplus/whatever you want to call it. The exceptions are the couple of rifle and 3-gun matches I attend involving a lot of rolling around in the dirt, in which case I bump it up to boring old cotton.

• 3 weeks later...

Camo is a bit odd...but I wear LA Police gear shorts and pants. They are solid colors and not overly obnoxious. I wear them regularly as well because they are really comfortable.

Edited by JohnnyD

I wear a lot of 5.11 shorts and hats to matches. I have been a police officer since 1982 and get most of them free from the sales reps at conventions and seminars. My collection goes from 2004 to 2012 ( I've missed 2013 because of surgery). the one I wear most is the black 2001-2011 anniversary commemorative hat. It has the twin towers, Pentagon and 98 on the side to commemorate the 93 police officers that died. I wear the 5.11 shorts because though I am in shape, that shape is sort of round. Most shorts in the 38-40 waist size are huge in the legs. My legs look like two broomsticks sticking out from under two upside down buckets.

• 4 weeks later...

I can understand the feeling about the camo and BDU's at matches. I cant say that I would wear it personally, but I feel at this point its more important than every to encourage any and all shooters and make them feel welcome rather than discourage based on what they wear.

Someone wearing one or two pieces of well worn ex-military is fine, maybe they work in it or have it left from service. The ones that really look stupid are the ones in full regalia that appears to have just come off the shelf.

Reminds me of when I was in Korea and people would get a jacket with ( "I know I'll go to Heaven because I've served my time in Hell" ) and under that " Korea 58-59". How could it be Hell when cigarettes were $1.20 a carton, sex all night the same price and beer was $0.15 a quart ???

funny thread.

i make fun of my friends who show up to the 3 gun match in a chest rig full of 30 round mags. they look like a pregnant tree (camo)! especially when you need less than 30 rounds per strange....and you cant shoot prone with all that crap hanging off your chest!

too bad about the rule about "objectionable" attire. i am currently wanting to make an orange shirt that is called the "New Yorkistan Felons" i will have one of those cartoon characters p!ssing on cuomo, p!ssing on the "safe" act. and maybe an impeach obama slogan......and what ever else i couodl think about......all this to shoot the NY matches! convict number 223-308-45 or something like that.

got any more ideas?

eddie

funny thread.

i make fun of my friends who show up to the 3 gun match in a chest rig full of 30 round mags. they look like a pregnant tree (camo)! especially when you need less than 30 rounds per strange....and you cant shoot prone with all that crap hanging off your chest!

too bad about the rule about "objectionable" attire. i am currently wanting to make an orange shirt that is called the "New Yorkistan Felons" i will have one of those cartoon characters p!ssing on cuomo, p!ssing on the "safe" act. and maybe an impeach obama slogan......and what ever else i couodl think about......all this to shoot the NY matches! convict number 223-308-45 or something like that.

got any more ideas?

eddie

Yes, read the forum rules and then delete your post before you get the thread locked!

I can understand the feeling about the camo and BDU's at matches. I cant say that I would wear it personally, but I feel at this point its more important than every to encourage any and all shooters and make them feel welcome rather than discourage based on what they wear.

I generally go with light colored 5.11 shorts and pants. I learned back in my law enforcement days that having all of the pockets that you get from BDU-type pants are awesome at the range. I had a pair of black BDU pants that I loved for qualification and training. The 5.11 shorts are very nice because, as someone else already pointed out, they're...um, generous when it comes to less-than-fit guys like me. In my defense, I an losing weight. :)

I also really like the 5.11 shorts that have the mag pouch in the left front portion of the shorts. Perfect for my load and make ready mag or a flashlight when it gets dark and I need light to help patch targets.

I go with lighter colors because I shoot in Florida and it turns out it's hot here. I try to do pants as much as I can because it also turns out there are bugs here and they apparently find fat middle-aged guys to be a bit of a delicacy, but it's almost always shorts in the summer because...did I mention it's hot in Florida in the summer?

My shirts are pretty uninspired. Whatever short sleeved T-shirt that looks clean in the hot months and long sleeved T-shirts when it's cooler to provide some additional sun protection since in addition to being fat, I'm so pasty white you could show movies on me. I burn pretty easy.

Edited by ericjhuber

As we all know the targets don't shoot at us, so there is no need to try and hide from them.

If your a hot chick, pink camo would be OK. Other than that you would be like that guy that takes of the suit and tie after work on Friday and changes into jeans and leather and grabbs the wallet with the chain on it to go drive your Harley (poser).

Someone wearing one or two pieces of well worn ex-military is fine, maybe they work in it or have it left from service. The ones that really look stupid are the ones in full regalia that appears to have just come off the shelf.

Reminds me of when I was in Korea and people would get a jacket with ( "I know I'll go to Heaven because I've served my time in Hell" ) and under that " Korea 58-59". How could it be Hell when cigarettes were $1.20 a carton, sex all night the same price and beer was $0.15 a quart ???

Gee, SEX al night? I vaguely remember. Where did it go.

:devil:

I think the rule book should be changed back to the previous years in regards to camo clothing. Like I have said in earlier post I don't like it. To those we said don't care maybe next time I should show up to a match wearing a flag instead of clothing and see how we all feel then. I also don't dress like a COP so I guess we could start doing that as well.

There are people who wear camo 24/7. They just like their real tree or whatever. I don't judge people by their clothes, most of the time I'm just thankful if they wear pants, without concern for the color of the pants.

I agree that banning a color pattern is silly especially since what they are looking to avoid will probably change in the next few years. If you say no 'operator costumes' then in 5 years when we go to war with someone else people will play video games and dress up and look ridiculous anyway. it cant be avoided.

Edited by RammerJammer

There are people who wear camo 24/7. They just like their real tree or whatever. I don't judge people by their clothes, most of the time I'm just thankful if they wear pants, without concern for the color of the pants.

This is true but Realtree camo is way different from military uniforms.

not really ... there are hundreds of patterns out there, some military, some civilian. Some look alike some don't. And then there are a ton of military patterns, some officially adopted, some not. Are you saying multicam is no go because some elite unite somewhere had it issued, but a-tacs or whatever is ok because hasn't been approved so really it is a civilian pattern then?

And then you have woodland which looks like a million different camo patterns. How about .. african tiger stripe, is that ok? Plain green wool pants that used to be issued by everyone and their mother? How about plain green socks? How about hunting camo that someone thinks looks too military? Do match directors and RO's get issued a world camo recognition book?

It is all nonsense. What you are trying to regulate against is an attidude of wannabe soldiers. You can't do that based on camo, because they can wear tan pants and black tshirts and a ball cap and feel all operator about it so are you going to ban casual friday wear?

We need to worry less about what people wear.

Edited by Vlad

If the matches were held in a nudist colony people would complain that some had "limited" equipment while others should run in "open" !!! :roflol:

Hmmmm Ok, so IF matches were held in nudist colonies, wouldn't everybody be running in (the) open? Some might be running a major rig vs. minor...but that could be settled at the chrono. :goof: Taking it one step further down that road..would a competitor be DQ'd for sweeping "himself" during a draw? :devil:

All joking aside, if someone is choosing to be all camo'ed out, that is OK with me. You can't buy entertainment like that. Tactical Teds need lovin' too. The intent of the original rule was to ensure that no one mistook shooting IPSC as some sort of para-military training. That was the political climate of the day and we had to be careful not to present ourselves as something other than sportsmen. Also, the rule was a better fit then as camo clothing wasn't as common or popular among civilians unless you were a duck hunter, or a survivalist.

Full disclaimer - I have some camo print wrangler shorts and wear them sometimes (great shorts for shooting and only about 10 bones on sale! ). Are camo shorts more offensive than plaid, neon, or tie-dyed shorts? I don't think so. Bottom line is as long as the Match Director doesn't take offense, it should be OK.

Edited by Bamboo