Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 20 list

RussellM

If the USPSA web guy watches this thread - there is a mistake on the list.

GM = 95% - 100%

Yet Revolver and Single Stack have folks listed as GM that are under 95%

Or maybe they shot some sub 95% classifiers and their percentage went down. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM = 95% - 100%

match bump and not that many gm's

You are soooooo smart MHOP remind me next time I see you to buy you some ribs since they are your fav meal!

The top 20 list for the GM's can be a little deceiving. As always there is an inconsistency between the top 20 classifications and the top 20 finishers at a major match. A good example being Max Michelle being listed 4th in Open when he pretty much gives everyone a solid donkey punch at whatever major match he attends.

The Top 20 list is entertaining to watch, but its just a single data point that needs to be put into perspective with everything else.

Yeah

The top 20 list for the GM's can be a little deceiving. As always there is an inconsistency between the top 20 classifications and the top 20 finishers at a major match. A good example being Max Michelle being listed 4th in Open when he pretty much gives everyone a solid donkey punch at whatever major match he attends.

The Top 20 list is entertaining to watch, but its just a single data point that needs to be put into perspective with everything else.

Yeah like Charlie said, there is some disparity with the list of GMs. For example if you have a Lifetime membership with USPSA, you can be in the top 20 of GM (or any class for that matter) and your name will live in infamy for ever (even if you should kick the bucket). Because of the Lifetime membership never expiring. So it is possible to make the "Top 20" list in GM and if you hit a number high enough, say 98.9% or 99+% your name could live there forever.

But on the other hand, if you don't pay your dues, and you let your membership lapse, your name doesn't even appear on the EzWinScore update list. I know a few GM's whose names don't even appear anywhere in the database. So it's a tiny bit misleading in that respect.

I'm with many of you guys who believe that it's more or less either a list of the Top 20 sandbaggers, or it's just a crap-shoot of whose percentage lands on 84.9999 on a specific day of the month. I'd much prefer to see a "Top 100" in each division. I think that would shed more light on the "Best of the Best" ..... if that's what they were striving to show. But then throw in what I said earlier about Life Memberships diluting the accurate representation of the current "Best of the Best", and the whole thing is for naught anyways.

Now some of you might call me crazy (cause it took about an hour to do), but I took the EzWinScore update list that USPSA publishes each and every month, and I singled out all the GMs. The original list was 642 pages long, and included 33,665 classifications.

But I whittled it down to 8 pages and 467 classifications of only GMs. I then took out all the duplicate names, or rather all the people who had multiple GM classifications, and I come up with the following numbers. Take it for what it's worth. :)

Word has found 305 GM’s in the database.

161 OPEN

145 LIMITED

45 LIMITED 10

81 PRODUCTION

19 REVOLVER

17 SINGLE STACK

------------------------

467 CLASSIFICATIONS IN ALL

But in the end there were some interesting points of observation.

For one, I really enjoyed going through the list and seeing some of the old names, like Brian Enos, Jack Barnes, Jerry Barnhart, Tommy Thacker, Dave Dawson, Benny Hill, etc.

And secondly, whoever got the number L-2011 was one lucky sob, and made GM. Probably even before 2011s were really very popular. But he hasn't shot since 1997. Is he even still alive anymore? :unsure:

And secondly, whoever got the number L-2011 was one lucky sob, and made GM. Probably even before 2011s were really very popular. But he hasn't shot since 1997. Is he even still alive anymore? :unsure:

He's got a 2004 Classifier score in L10 so he was alive then.

He's got a 2004 Classifier score in L10 so he was alive then.

[FACE PALM] WOW! How did I miss that?! :rolleyes: LOL

My eyes must have been so tired from staring at the screen for over an hour! Thanks Chuck! :)

GM = 95% - 100%

It's not a mistake, necessarily -- percentage reflects their current %. Now in half divisions, every GM with less than a 98 will drop off, in L10 it drops a little lower, and in SS and esp. REVO, it really drops. Revolver probably only has 18 grandmasters...

So, except for GM, is this the list of who who can get their % the highest without going over? The top 20 Sandbagger list ?

:roflol:

Having been the top B in SS for the past few years I know a few who would (have) called me that. :goof:

I got classified and only shoot the WSSSC once a year so unless someone gets closer than me I just stay there.

Neal in AZ

I should ask Karen if she will let me shoot the the classifier match next weekend with your USPSA number :goof:

So, except for GM, is this the list of who who can get their % the highest without going over? The top 20 Sandbagger list ?

Having been the top B in SS for the past few years I know a few who would (have) called me that. :goof:

I got classified and only shoot the WSSSC once a year so unless someone gets closer than me I just stay there.

Neal in AZ

I should ask Karen if she will let me shoot the the classifier match next weekend with your USPSA number :goof:

Well look who showed up, one of those "few" I was talking about above in my first post.

That woud be real funny, what a great shooting buddy helping me out.

I think they have a name for that kind of buddy. :roflol:

Edited by Intel6

Neal in AZ

Well look who showed up, one of those "few" I was talking about above in my first post.

That woud be real funny, what a great shooting buddy helping me out.

I think they have a name for that kind of buddy. :roflol:

Dude, a bagger is a bagger...

Lmao, two dudes from the list shoot out of my local club

• 1 month later...

So, am I right that you can be on that list even if you don't shoot any more? If so, that list is really not accurate is it? Still not sure why once you get a class you stay there forever, even if you have not shot in that class for years. But, it is what it is I guess.

So, am I right that you can be on that list even if you don't shoot any more? If so, that list is really not accurate is it? Still not sure why once you get a class you stay there forever, even if you have not shot in that class for years. But, it is what it is I guess.

It's a list of highest hit factors achieved in class -- so if a C shooter put up an average of 59.9999 he could probably stay in the #1 spot forever if he dropped out of the sport. Only two ways folks leave that list -- class bump, or being bumped out of position by someone shooting a higher percentage...