Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

I used to shoot 1911/2011s in competition and carry an LCP or revolver or little 1911. Now that I'm running M&P almost exclusively for limited, open, and 3 gun, I'm building an M&Pc to carry. Little bigger than the LCP but since the cartels are actually conducting hits near where we shop, I figured it was time for an upgrade. Laser grips, lightened slide, a compact mag with TF extension (easier to carry 18 rounds than a long mag). No trigger work yet, but I'm sure that happens eventually.

That was the first murder there in 18 years........I think you're OK. :cheers:

Its bound to get worse before it gets better, right?

There is something to be said for having your carry gun be the same platform you shoot a lot.

I was really just kidding with the guy because I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Southlake murder which took place on 05-22-2013. It's a very affluent area that has very, very little violent crime.......

And yes, having similar platforms is a good idea, but not mandatory. I've got a G19 being tricked out by a former Delta guy and I plan to carry that a lot when I get it back.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this thread is pretty much for production/ IDPA folks right?

I wanna see the concealed carry rig for a long wide 2011 with 140's a magwell and thumb rest.

I gave up any thoughts of fight how you train when I started putting a $4000 gun in a race holster.

If I carry concealed its a .38 airweight snubby in my front pocket. Best carry gun is one you will actually carry right?

I wanna see the concealed carry rig for a long wide 2011 with 140's a magwell and thumb rest.

I gave up any thoughts of fight how you train when I started putting a $4000 gun in a race holster.

If I carry concealed its a .38 airweight snubby in my front pocket. Best carry gun is one you will actually carry right?

I think carry covers anything over than what you carry at a match.

I carry at work. Those are single and double stack Infinity 1911s. I carry when I'm off duty. That for now, is a M&P Shield with the G19 incoming....

I think carry covers anything over than what you carry at a match.

I carry at work. Those are single and double stack Infinity 1911s. I carry when I'm off duty. That for now, is a M&P Shield with the G19 incoming....

You are in a great place being able to use 1911 pistols on the job. Poor bastards here in the PNW are stuck with glocks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Ultimo-Hombre said, "...the best carry gun is the one that you carry."

I went through the phases of what gun to carry concealed. I asked myself, Do I carry the same platform as I what I shoot most often? Meaning from a competition standpoint. I have carried from a 1911's (was always making my pants fall down due to its weight) to a Glock, to what I currently carry, which is not currently my competition platform or off duty (yes, I am in law enforcement).

My early years in thinking was to "carry what I shoot and shoot what I carry." I think that does hold some merit with new or "beginner" shooters. So as not to confuse what platform you are shooting when faced with a "stressful" situation. With years in shooting now, I have no problem with distinguishing what gun I have. One for play, one for work, and one when I am out and about. For obvious reasons, my super duper race holster is never going to be concealed carry holster.

Now, by having different platforms, it puts me in the type of mode that prefer to be in. With the blaster on, I will make fun of all my fellow shooters when they run by a target, we joke and laugh, and have a good time at the local match. When I have me duty weapon on, I know I have to be,nice, courteous and generally helpful for the public that I serve. When I have my concealed carry on and I am heading to the local quickie mart for my ritual soda pop you best not get between me and my Mt Dew. I will crush a ice cube on your forehead...lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, the same platform, 1911. I tried others but wanted the consistency between competition and carry. Closest I came to the 1911 was the H&K USP in DA/SA with the safety/decocker lever. In the end I decided to go all 1911. LesBaer for comp and Wilson Sentinel for carry.

I have two Clark Barrels for the bowling pin gun I'm building. One with a two chamber comp, the other a standard 5". If I ever decide to get my CCW, that may be my carry piece. I am, however considering another build in 10mm on a Caspian classic frame and a Damascus slide.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point in time my completion is a CZ Shadow and my carry is a Glock 23, I shoot the shadow in production IPSC So essentially the principle is the same between the 2 guns, draw and squeeze the trigger to shoot no disengadging safeties. The biggest learning curve was to learn how to squeeze the trigger and not pull or slap it. I do have full intentions to start shooting standard gun though. Which will not be with a Glock.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a very lean guy and wear business professional attire so concealing a larger weapon would be a challenge for me. I love the ccw piece i got a couple years ago - Sigp238. It is the most accurate pocket pistol i have had and can wear in a IWB at 4-5 oclock or in a pocket hokster in front or back pocket. I practice quite often with it but due to its size there is very little similarity to my competition G34 or 2011.

The 2011 guns are my favorite then 1911 and CZ 85 and would carry 2011's if I could and could afford it, but my issue and back up are G22 and Shield. So I don't get much choice, I am not switching my match guns to what I carry at work. I think if you are well practiced with all the platforms you shoot it's not a big issue.

I've just started this summer shooting in a few matches and trying to find a comfortable Platform for both. I'm shooting a Cz75 that I love in the matches and a Glock 23 accompanies me daily. Thinking of going to a metal frame for CC since I'm more accurate with them.

Yep, it's the same gun (for now). Ruger CMD, I will eventually start working on a 5" 1911 for matches. A4F469E3-6B0A-4D04-A0CC-3D5E54356727_zps

Is that commander length?

That is an appealing simple pistol, nice.

Yep commander length. I like simple things and small changes that a lot of people would never notice.

This one will probably get retired back to carry only. I just picked up a 9mm 1911 for matches.