Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely! I compete with the 1911 and tried several platforms/versions thinking I might carry something different. Decided it was a bad idea. Sold them all. I'm sticking with the 1911 platform. Haven't looked back.

Short answer: Yes.

Great question! When I started shooting IDPA, I started with a Glock 19 (one of my carry guns). I shot SSP with it. Once I decided that this (IDPA) was something I was going to invest more time and commitment to, I upgraded to a Glock 34 and I now shoot SSP with that. I also shoot CDP division with a Kimber Pro Carry HD.

I am hoping IDPA will approve the proposed division of CCP (Conceal Carry Pistol) as the G19 would fall within its requirements and limitations. I have been carrying concealed for over 15 years and I carry EVERYWHERE I can legally. If you don't carry all the time, what's the point? :-)

I would challenge others to do the same. I don't compete with the G19 all the time, but I try and shoot at least 3-4 matches a year with it. Fun gun to shoot. I have made a few modifications to it (to still stay in SSP) - sights and trigger, but that's it.

Currently I only own a Glock 19, mainly for carry. Since I removed the finger grooves and did stippling that works for me, I ended up in limited. It sure looks a little funky with a 17 mag and extension sticking out! Considering building up a 35 so that the feel remains similar to carry, but still has a few more race gun features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shoot an ACCU shadow in production, carry a glock normally. Still think I'd like to pick up. Cz p07 for carry to make it a little bit closer to what I shoot all the time. But the Glock is fine for now, I think the only way you would have a real serious issue is if your comp gun that you shoot a lot is a gun without a external safety and your carry gun has a safety, or the magazine release is different between the two.

Whatever you have the most repetitions doing, no matter how ridiculous, is what you will do under stress. Training scars will cut deeper than you best laid plan. The PAC timer is nothing compared to the life or death moment requiring deadly force. People resort to stuff they haven't done in years (previous military service as an example), just because they have more repetitions doing that than their current carry situation. Dont be afraid to look bad at the range. Sweat in training to avoid bleeding in combat. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I should update mine.....I'm still shooting 5.4" Sight Trackers for Limited/Competition, but I'm carrying a ZEV G17 Dragonfly or a ZEV G19 Trilo most of the time at work and off duty. I haven't noticed any problems like I had expected....

Resounding yes.

I carry my Kimber 1911 5" .45 everyday in the same holster, cant, position, and with the same ammo that I shoot in IDPA CDP and USPSA SS and Multigun HML divisions. For the latter, I'm also using the same M14-type .308 rifle that I keep in the truck for hunting and SHTF purposes.