Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you reading right now?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Kindle also and love it! I just started reading "A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) by George R.R. Martin." Which is a change for me, I am more of a Brad Thor, Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy type of reader.

Just finished "Dead Center" by Ed Kugler, the story of a Marine Corp Sniper in Viet Nam. I read it ten years ago but it was worth the read again. One of the main characters happens to be a Enos member and a good friend, I can tell you a 4 hour ride to a match worth of first person stories was even better than the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys have to figure out who "TOMO" really is.

Mildot

Re-reading "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas." by Hunter S. Thompson. I read it every five years or so. Reminds me of my late teens.

I think that means you did it wrong.

:roflol: What I meant was that I first read the book in my late teens, not that my life was like that book in my late teens. Too funny....

Re-reading Starship Troopers because it has been about 10 years and I like it. A number of work-related technical books and reports. A whole bunch of my pleasure reading is internet forum posts on gun-game related activity.

This title reminded me that I found a book shelf in the garage with loads of paperback my father had read while in the service. Just about every Robert Heinlein, Louis L'Amour and all of the mash series. I was in the fourth grade and was already reading at a 12th grade level. I devoured those books from June of 1978 to that winter into the New Year. During the Summer, I would sometimes read two or three a day. When I went to camp, and my Grandmothers and even winter camp, I took loads of those books with me. It was a great experience to read through that many stories. The pictures and business cards, notepad pages, and margin notes that my dad put into those books I left as is when I was done with them. When my parents split up for a while and I was living on my own, they gave all those books away. Broke my heart.

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Abercrombie is one of the best out there. Just wait until you read The Heroes.

Currently re-reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Reading The Heroes now... Nobody writes the grunt's-eye view of medieval combat like Abercrombie... I remember one scene where a guy shits himself in terror leaving a mess on the ground, then another guy slips in it at a bad moment and gets brained.

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Abercrombie is one of the best out there. Just wait until you read The Heroes.

Currently re-reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Reading The Heroes now... Nobody writes the grunt's-eye view of medieval combat like Abercrombie... I remember one scene where a guy shits himself in terror leaving a mess on the ground, then another guy slips in it at a bad moment and gets brained.

There is so much subtle genius in all of Abercrombie's writing. Just wait. There's a scene with Whirrun that is brutally genius/hilarious. The Heroes is his best so far in my opinion, and he's got another coming out this fall. As far as I understand it's supposed to be about Logen again.

One of the types that lost the urge/time to read years ago. But recently I had some extended sessions of absolute boredom so picked up a few old books. Not being the religious type I had heard of the Left Behind series, but wasn't interested. Picked up the first volume and now I'm reading the series. I'm almost done with the second one now. Well written story and not quite as packed full of religious hyperbole as I expected...

I'm currently reading:

Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach by McQuarrie & Simon

Shunt: The Story of James Hunt by Tom Rubython

The Last Centurion by John Ringo

A Cold Place in Hell by Willima Blinn

Just finished reading:

The Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour

The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit by Michael Cannell

Life and People in Old Beijing by Sheng Xishan

Armor by John Steakley