Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you reading right now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently in the middle of "Covert Warriors" by WEB Griffin.

Next up is "Black List" by Brad Thor.

FYI, since everyone in here seems to be eager book readers, I figured I would share my favorite book site. Every time I mention this to people, they've never heard of it. It's called Fantastic Fiction. You can find it at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

If you are looking for any book, this is a great site to find it. You can search by Author, or by title, or by subject. It lists the author's books in chronological order, by series. I like this because if you see a book that is interesting you can see where it falls in the series so you know which books may precede it.

The other nice thing is at the bottom of the author's list of books, there is a very large "If you like this author...." section, showing you other authors that write similar genres.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

In the Heart of the Sea, the tragedy of the whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick.

I started this book a few weeks ago, then had to return it to the library unfinished. I recently just got it back and will finish it now. The real life story of a whale crashing into a whaleship that inspired Herman Melville to write Moby Dick.

I have been reading a series of books by Daniel Silva. His books are about a Mossad Agent: Gabriel Allon. Gabriel is a art restorer, he gets called back to the agency for missions. I would highly recommend these books. Last one I read was Fallen Angel about a death at the Vatican. I haven't read them all but most!

Other favorite authors: Grishom, Michael Crichton, Balducci, Clancy, Cussler and others.

THE KEEP by F. Paul Wilson. One of his first novels. A horror story in WWII Romania.

Listening to Olen Steihauer's THE TOURIST. A spy novel. Nothing new in the plot about a spy getting framed by corrupt superiors but I am enjoying the story and some new revelations near the end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for the Correia books.

I've read all of the Spellbound/Dark Noir series he's done. That was really good, a great mix of magic and '40s tech. He does characters really well.

I just finished reading Monster Hunter Legion. It's actually a shorter book in his Monster Hunter series. Not as good as the first three, but I still finished it in three days.

I also read Dead Six. This one was co-written with a military friend of his, and you can see the difference in the writing styles. Correia writes one of the main characters' perspective, and his buddy writes the other. To me, it wasn't quite as good as the other stuff, but still a page-turner.

I've gotten to the point where I won't read a Griffin or Clancy novel unless they're on the bargain books shelf. Their quality has deteriorated since taking on partner writers. To me, all of Griffin's books are the same, as one of the main characters is generally a guy who's rich as hell, so he possesses resources nobody who would really be in that position would have. Clancy's books just aren't as good now as his others--Without Remorse was probably my favorite, followed by Red Storm Rising and Patriot Games.

I like Sharra's books. Jeff's aren't as good as his father's, but they're still good reads.

I've also invested heavily in Harry Turtledove's alternate history books. The latest series about WWII starting early has been pretty good. I haven't picked one up recently, but mostly because I've had other priorities.

I'm also trying to figure out how to publish my zombie novel--if anyone knows of an agent who would work with that kind of a book, I'll mention you in the foreword! :roflol:

I read James O. Born's ESCAPE CLAUSE. A fun book from 2006. Florida FDLE agent sent to investigate murder in a remote prison. Agent makes friends. Agent makes enemies. Corruption, hot prison investigator, lack of diverse beer.

I'll likely start George Pelecanos's CUT this week.