Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you reading right now?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am more of a Brad Thor, Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy type of reader.

You should like the stages for Area 8 then.

I just finished Vince Flynn's last book and I am waiting on Thor's new one next month.

Re-reading "The Belgariad" and "The Malloreon" by David Eddings. Sometimes ya just need ta escape into the realms of sword and sorcery.

I loved those books. I rarely read fantasy much, but these and the Narnia and LotR books are on my shelf and get read again occasionally.

I had a nick on an old forum 'Kal' that I took from these books haha.

I recently read a couple fun books before diving back into non-fiction / theological books.

Lee Child: One Shot

Lee Child: The Enemy

My father-in-law gave me these for an airplane trip awhile ago and I finally got around to reading them. Fast reads, fun exciting stories. I think I jumped into the series at #8 and #9, but I don't think it matters when you start reading them.

Right now I am working through some theology books on the Biblical books Acts, Romans, and Revelations.

I recently read a couple fun books before diving back into non-fiction / theological books.

Lee Child: One Shot

Lee Child: The Enemy

Whenever Lee Child tries to describe anything technical, particularly guns, I have to groan and roll my eyes... He apparently does just enough research to *think* that he understands and then tries to write in lots of "authentic" details, but ends up getting it totally wrong.

It's still entertaining pulp, but why can't he get someone at least moderately familiar with guns to give his books a once-over before it's published?

Whenever Lee Child tries to describe anything technical, particularly guns, I have to groan and roll my eyes... He apparently does just enough research to *think* that he understands and then tries to write in lots of "authentic" details, but ends up getting it totally wrong.

It's still entertaining pulp, but why can't he get someone at least moderately familiar with guns to give his books a once-over before it's published?

Oh yeah, the sniper details in One Shot I had to read a couple of times to make sure I understood what I read haha... yeah it was definitely him not me.

Overall though, fun reads, not classics by any means.

I started reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo today when I was stuck at a Starbucks for an hour waiting to pick up my kids. It was free on my Kindle Fire and I hadn't read it yet... so theology and American Assassin aside for now... Hugo on deck.

:)

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Abercrombie is one of the best out there. Just wait until you read The Heroes.

Currently re-reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Reading The Heroes now... Nobody writes the grunt's-eye view of medieval combat like Abercrombie... I remember one scene where a guy shits himself in terror leaving a mess on the ground, then another guy slips in it at a bad moment and gets brained.

There is so much subtle genius in all of Abercrombie's writing. Just wait. There's a scene with Whirrun that is brutally genius/hilarious. The Heroes is his best so far in my opinion, and he's got another coming out this fall. As far as I understand it's supposed to be about Logen again.

A fourth for Abercrombie. Enjoyed everything he has written & I usually don't like too much fantasy.

Will have to try some Vince Flynn.

Overachievement by John Elliot and entreleadership by Dave Ramsey

I've gotten hooked on William Johnstone books. I'm a sucker for a good western/frontier novel, and his are the best offered in my opinion.

Presently, I am on the 'The First Mountainman' series. He wrote over 100+ books in his lifetime, and I plan on reading them all. He wrote in a way that really keeps your interest and there's never a dull moment.

Just added a new book into the series I'm working through.

'Ben Hogan's Magical Device', Ted Hunt.

Not to be confused in any way with the newest chick flick, 'Magic Mike'. And yes I think it is VERY fortunate that the author of the Ben Hogan book's name is Ted.

lol..

Look out perfect swing!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I read Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell... again. It's one of my multi read book, you know, the book we like to read when no other books seems to find his place in our actual taste, so we read again a old book. Or maybe it's because I'm too cheap right now to buy some great book available here... like Brian or Sauls books.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow of the Giant

The Simplified Guide to Not-for-Profit Accounting, Formation and Reporting

Nonprofit Organizations, Cases and Materials, 4th Edition

Nonprofit Organizations, Statutes, Regulations and Forms

Accounting and Finance