Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you reading right now?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently reading the complete Sir Arthur Conan Doyle......... "The game is a foot". But mostly sci fi/ fantasy. Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Blizzard, all the fantasy books by the guy that wrote the Percy Jackson series. Or anything with words (started reading the encyclopedia britannica when i was 5 and finished when i was 7). Thats all outdated info now.

I've been on a firearms "history" kick lately.

I just finished Glock - The Rise of America's Gun by Paul Barrett. It was an interesting read that casts some light on the plastic pistol empire. I will say Mr. Barrett throws a few digs at gun rights groups, mainly the NRA, but also treats gun control groups with the same level of scrutiny. It's obviously written by a non-shooter even though Mr. Barrett has covered the firearms industry for a long time, he's still an outsider. It was at least entertaining to see what a motley group Gaston used to build his empire.

I'm about a third of the way through C.J. Chiver's The Gun, which is easily 4 times the length of Barrett's book. However, I find that Mr. Chiver has put much more time into the research and tells a more complete history of automatic firearms leading up to the AK style rifle, which is the book's main subject. This has been a really good read so far, covering repeating arms in the Civil War through WWII and beyond. He is also a lot more reserved with his opinions about firearms, although he makes one statement in the forward that would have me believe he's a shooter himself.

Both are good books, Glock is a light read while The Gun is a little more on the heavier side.

Edited by pittmanj22

Both are good books. Barrett is a business reporter and was not writing a gun book. Both authors talk about the importance of marketing the product and trying to sell new technology.

I just heard an interview with Barrett off a January 29 radio podcast at: http://www.followyou...2/#t=00:00 The podcast lets you jump ahead to the interview if you like.

I've been on a firearms "history" kick lately.

I just finished Glock - The Rise of America's Gun by Paul Barrett. It was an interesting read that casts some light on the plastic pistol empire. I will say Mr. Barrett throws a few digs at gun rights groups, mainly the NRA, but also treats gun control groups with the same level of scrutiny. It's obviously written by a non-shooter even though Mr. Barrett has covered the firearms industry for a long time, he's still an outsider. It was at least entertaining to see what a motley group Gaston used to build his empire.

I'm about a third of the way through C.J. Chiver's The Gun, which is easily 4 times the length of Barrett's book. However, I find that Mr. Chiver has put much more time into the research and tells a more complete history of automatic firearms leading up to the AK style rifle, which is the book's main subject. This has been a really good read so far, covering repeating arms in the Civil War through WWII and beyond. He is also a lot more reserved with his opinions about firearms, although he makes one statement in the forward that would have me believe he's a shooter himself.

Both are good books, Glock is a light read while The Gun is a little more on the heavier side.

Edited by Gerard

I've been listening to Olen Steinhauer's spy series featuring the character Milo Weaver. I'm on the third book now, AMERICAN SPY. Realpolitik versus morality with most characters struggling between those two sides. Steinhauer does a real good job plotting things out and keeping the characters and reader wondering which character is doing what and if any character fully understands what is going on.

Edited by Gerard