Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA election results...

Flexmoney

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we all have a unique logon id to the USPSA web site, maybe we could get on to the site, click a box on our member info and request a ballot to vote. That will eliminate the 69.8% of wasted paper sent out.

Sad to say but not everyone has a computer, one of the NRA instrutors I teach with does not have one and refuses to get one. Don't quote me but I think the bylaws require a paper ballot be sent to all members. And exactly how could every electronic ballot be verified? We all have a unique ID (it wasn't meant to be that way) that is called a Social Security number so should we use that for electronic voting for President?

It's been said before, but using an electronic voting system wasn't appreciably cheaper (it was significantly more expensive) than the paper ballots. At least to maintain some semblance of security in the voting process. Some people take the voting very seriously and would rather have the assurance that the vote was done accurately and fairly.

The other side to this is whether there is actually an advantage to making it easier to vote. While I would be thrilled to have every member cast an informed ballot, that likely will not happen. There are many members that just don't care to take the time and effort to make an informed decision. If they can't be bothered to put a stamp on an envelope and send it in, are they really concerned about who they're voting for? It's a pretty minimal hurdle to jump through if you care enough to vote.

is there supposed to be any kind of anonymity assured?

I noticed that the two ballot slips I received had numbers printed on them in red ink in the upper right hand corner, which also jived up with the number printed on the outside of the envelope just above my name and address.

is there supposed to be any kind of anonymity assured?

I noticed that the two ballot slips I received had numbers printed on them in red ink in the upper right hand corner, which also jived up with the number printed on the outside of the envelope just above my name and address.

The number is trackable to the member, and this feature was used in the year when we had to send out duplicate ballots because the first set was sent using "standard" (USPS marketing speak for Bulk Rate) rather than first class mail due to an error by the CPA firm. Number tracking assured that everyone got one vote, and that people who sent in their first ballot but not the second (or vice-versa) were counted, without those sending in both ballots having their vote counted twice.

That being said, the number to name correspondence is maintained ONLY by the CPA firm that mails, receives, and counts the ballots. No USPSA employee or officer has access to any information or report indicating what specific vote an individual cast, or even if a particular individual did in fact vote at all. The only details about the results that are provided to USPSA are those on the letter from the CPA firm that is sent to USPSA HQ and then released to the membership.

At least to maintain some semblance of security in the voting process. Some people take the voting very seriously and would rather have the assurance that the vote was done accurately and fairly.

USPSA belongs to the members, not the employees or elected leadership. The best way to assure continued accountability is to make sure that the process for selection of the elected leadership is independent and not under control of persons who may have an interest in the outcome. It is very hard for the membership of an organization to force a leadership that "needs changing" to switch from an informal "count the ballots in the back room" process to a properly done "independent count" when in the midst of a controversial election - so the proper process has to be in place before that happens.

I got my ballot yesterday. I mailed it back today.

I think it is sad that so many members do not send their ballots back in.

I also wish USPSA had a forum on their site so we could talk issues.

You mean this forum? http://www.uspsa.org/forums/

I get a password/authorization error on that link. USPSA login doesn't work

Re-read the instructions. You use "uspsa" for both user name and password.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of content there. I do wish the Front Sight articles were compiled there for a better comparison.

Re-read the instructions. You use "uspsa" for both user name and password.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of content there. I do wish the Front Sight articles were compiled there for a better comparison.

Those instructions don't show when you use the link Flex provided. It goes straight to a login popup

Those instructions don't show when you use the link Flex provided. It goes straight to a login popup

Actually, they do!

This is the login popup (FireFox):

post-400-0-70136300-1320183951_thumb.jpg

Carefully read the text on the pop-up.

Same stuff in IE:

post-400-0-14447300-1320184206_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

It seems like USPSA dropped support of the forums after the big web site update. They tried to revive it with the election forum, but they lost the majority of the posts (what little there was) when the server crashed a few months ago.

It seems like USPSA dropped support of the forums after the big web site update. They tried to revive it with the election forum, but they lost the majority of the posts (what little there was) when the server crashed a few months ago.

We didn't lose much, as the database tables were cleaned up - but some old election forums were cleaned out.