Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA election results...

Flexmoney

The result have been released.

I won Area 5.

Phil Strader won President.

Huge thanks to Gary and Michael for all their years of service! And, thanks to Tom, Frank and all of the candidates that threw their hat into the ring.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won Area 5.

Huge thanks to Gary and Michael for all their years of service! And, thanks to Tom, Frank and all of the candidates that threw their hat into the ring.

Congrats to you both!!!

:cheers:

Edited by Paul Santiago

I won Area 5.

Congrats Kyle!

Congrats to Phil also!

The following motion was passed at the BOD meeting this morning. Current bylaws require advance notice of the inclusion of any amendment to the bylaws, hence the nature of this motion.

I will be working with rest of the board to generate the exact bylaws change we will vote on in January, however, some of the key points that I expect to see based on the board discussion:

- The election will remain independent, and not under control of USPSA. The contract will state that USPSA does not have access to the voting record of any individual member.

- It will allow internet voting, but also allow members to cast their ballot via US Mail. Internet voting will be conducted on a server under the control of the election firm; not USPSA staff, officers or volunteers.

- No fundamental changes to the election (nomination procedures, runoff if there is no majority after initial voting, etc.) is expected.

- There will probably be some minor changes to the deadlines specified for the election.

The motion:

The board is issuing notice pursuant to bylaw 15.1 that we will take up a motion to amend the bylaws to modify the election process at our next regular meeting, which we expect to be an on-line meeting held in January, 2012.

The modifications are intended to enable the use of an independent professional election firm rather than a CPA firm to conduct the election, and to permit internet as well as postal voting.

Board members are authorized to discuss this motion prior to the official publications of minutes for the December, 2011 meeting

Changes to election procedure should not take place until the newly elected officers take office.

And no discussions either.

There's no hurry.

The meeting at which we will follow up on the election issue will be in January after the new officers take place. What is under discussion is the mechanics of how an election is conducted, not procedures like "rules and runoffs", how one petitions to become a candidate, etc.

The most important thing is that no procedural changes be made when there are "votes in play", particularly if the changes have ANY chance of influencing the election. One reason I felt this was an appropriate time is the amount of time it takes to move from "starting discussions" to "done deal" - advance notice of any bylaw change meeting is required; once any bylaw changes are made, a contract has to be negotiated with an election company; and the new procedures published. If we let things slip into the spring, USPSA may already have "declared candidates", individuals circulating nominating petitions, etc. - and that opens up the can of worms like "how does this change impact XYZ's chances relative to the other candidate".

The discussions are taking place WITHOUT the newly elected officers in place, officers who will vote on the changes.

A fact more important than any perceived future "problem."

IMO, inappropriate.

Edited by rgkeller

The discussions are taking place WITHOUT the newly elected officers in place, officers who will vote on the changes.

IMO, inappropriate.

Both newly elected officers were present for all discussions - Phil Strader in his capacity as Area 4 Director and Kyle as member who was invited to participate in discussions due to his director-elect status.

IMO, inappropriate.

I would add to Rob's statement that any vote on a bylaw change would take place in January, after the officer will be in place. USPSA has an election cycle that has two to three elections a year. If we waited on every issue we'd never get anything done. That said, both Kyle and Phil were there, and are fully in the loop on any potential change. But thank you for your opinion on the appropriateness of this action. Did you have a better option?

IMO, inappropriate.

I would add to Rob's statement that any vote on a bylaw change would take place in January, after the officer will be in place. USPSA has an election cycle that has two to three elections a year. If we waited on every issue we'd never get anything done. That said, both Kyle and Phil were there, and are fully in the loop on any potential change. But thank you for your opinion on the appropriateness of this action. Did you have a better option?

Yes, wait until January to start the process. That way, the new folks would be in place and the old folks would be gone.

But what is done, is done.

those officers are elected till December 31st of this year and have every right to serve their position till that point and when the new officers are on the board Jan 1st they get to do their thing at that time. Robert why are you so concerned about this issue?

IMO, inappropriate.

Yes, wait until January to start the process. That way, the new folks would be in place and the old folks would be gone.

But what is done, is done.

The new folks were there and involved in the discussion. So unless your argument is that somehow having two of the most experienced BOD members there was somehow a detriment I really don't understand your concern. We have four AD's up for election in 2012 and no more in person meetings scheduled for several months. I guess we could make the decision by email. I just thought the membership deserved as much consideration and discussion as possible. That happens best in person.