Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

Thats possible I'm sure, but at the rate I slide the slide I don't think I have a lot to worry about.

Maybe I'll do like Chris T and just dump the last round and fugettabowtit.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a table or closed barrel in front of my last shooting position, I'll turn the gun over and let the chambered round fall to the table. If there isn't, I'll turn the gun to the left and attempt to catch the round. If it doesn't go easily into my hand, I simply let it fall to the ground. I always go back and show clear afterwards though. I don't feel like anything about this is unsafe to myself or others.

Thats possible I'm sure, but at the rate I slide the slide I don't think I have a lot to worry about.

Maybe I'll do like Chris T and just dump the last round and fugettabowtit.

In a match with 22 stages, that's a lot of ammo to dump on the ground.

I can easily catch rounds from every weapon I own. I wont do it though. At competitions this seems to be a point of contention, and I stay away from it. I will not partake in any activity that can get me DQd or put into an heated discussion with an RO or range staff. Simply not worth it.

There are many things that you can do at a match that have nothing to do with shooting ability that can advance your position. Figuring out all the minefields and pitfalls of a competition COMBINED with shooting well will put you high up on the list. Avoid all those small things that can trip you up and get in your head… And shoot well… Then you got it figured out.

Catch the rounds?… Why?

I like to show off but it usually involves 16-17++ HF

Rounds can and do detonate this way. I have see it. Not in a very long time so I think we figured out how to prevent this, pretty much.The only wild card is the shooter. Bad gun build could cause this but bad reloading is probably the major culprit

I could tell you stores about bad reloading that might freak you out. Remember that new shooter and his new Dillon could be an idiot and his new toy

I don't flip cause 25 years ago I realized it did not increase my HF on the stage. So I never started it.

I could care less if you flip unless I get hurt. Hurt yourself all you want.

Edited by BSeevers

Does USPSA have a rule against flipping your ammo? Then the flipping will continue. Period. No one is going to tell Eric G, Max,Blake, Manny, Smitty or any top shooter to stop you cant do that while I'm the RO. Lol

Edited by a matt

Does USPSA have a rule against flipping your ammo? Then the flipping will continue. Period. No one is going to tell Eric G, Max,Blake, Manny, Smitty or any top shooter to stop you cant do that while I'm the RO. Lol

Well they should, its one of the deadliest things in the sport. Thats why I don't. That and I have a wierd ejection pattern on my XDm and can't.

Im left handed to much effort to flip and catch the way I have to get it done.

I agree if they are going stop the local shooter from flipping ammo, then every RO all the way up to the national level should stop everyone from flipping ammo. But they can't and won't at that level. Only at a local level RO's to a local shooter. But it's a mute subject. because its not against the rules, and if an RO's tells me not to do this or that, I'm going to ask for someone else to run me. I don't think it's right to make rules up as you like. Thats my issue.

Edited by a matt

Well they should, its one of the deadliest things in the sport. Thats why I don't. That and I have a wierd ejection pattern on my XDm and can't.

Wow. How many people have been killed by this?

I disagree wholeheartedly. Do we really need to ban everything?

possibly. have you not read the thread? this is a deadly practice and people do it to look cool. so no, not every thing just anything that looks cool and that somebody saw somebody get hurt doing one time.

well several posters have seen this devastation first hand but the injuries are not widespread enough to cause a rule change so just judging by the anger it causes I'm gonna say 100s.

Hundreds of deaths from flipping ammo? I'm guessing if it caused even 1 death at a match it would be addressed in the rulebook.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but making up false and outrageous statistics hurts your position more than it helps it.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Do we really need to ban everything?

possibly. have you not read the thread? this is a deadly practice and people do it to look cool. so no, not every thing just anything that looks cool and that somebody saw somebody get hurt doing one time.

You keep using the word "deadly." Please provide evidence of 1 incident where a shooter was killed flipping the round out of the chamber. Just one, and I'll write the entire BOD of USPSA telling them this needs to be added to the new rulebook.

Its called reductio ad absurdum or reduction to the absurd. After reading this entire thread, or collection of threads every third or fourth person declares they won't allow it near them because they have seen the injuries it causes and that is just an incredibly reckless action and a safety violation. I guess I either wasn't being absurd enough to make my point (which is sad but says something about the thread. Read my previous posts.

I tried to make the point I believe a page before that the action of the slide is no different than clearing a malfunction which everyone does. Others have pointed out it sucks losing rounds but it all comes down to I saw someone get hurt or it looks cool so I won't allow it.

If all these injuries where happening it would have already been banned. I probably shouldn't get so mad at all this but the idea that you can make up a rule as an RO and enforce it at will angers me. Plus like I said I can't do it with my current competition gun because of its weird ejection pattern.