Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com/ Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Championship

I will be there whenever you guys need me mate ! As long as the Ticks are fully briefed its FB3GDQ they can go to town eating and not me and my delicate legs then its all good ! :rolleyes:

You are just TCFW :wub: (To cute for words!)

I didn't think it was very cute at all. Tea and trumpets

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm a 3 gun nobody but I think it would be a good idea to have TO and TI in AM division. It would allow those with RDS on their rifles or those that don't want to spend the money on the optic and just use Irons to not feel left out. I don't care either way I'm shooting HM gear for S&Gs! B)

Those guys are't meant to be left out, they can shoot irons or RDS in the Tactical division, they don't have to go buy an optic and they can see how they stack up against the whole lot and the stages are being designed where they should be able to complete with those blasters and it doesn't affect how they go to the prize table because its random draw

So, what will happen to an AM shooter who shows up with equipment that would bump him to open? You know it will happen, but with no open what will happen to him. Does he now get thrown into the PRO side of the tournament?

By the way Jeff, I think this is an idea thats waited too long to happen. Looking forward to it. :cheers:

So if you average a 30% to 35% finish at big matches, would you shoot with the pro's? or with the Am's? I like challenge but also I don't want to be smoked :P

I have grown well accsutomed to being smoked by the big boys. :rolleyes:

If your finishing with those results at other major matches shooting with pros, your likely to post the same results at this match shooting with pros. My belief is that there are going to be enough bigger guns in AM that maybe my overall finish will only bump up 10 points or so. I like shooting the harder stuff. But I also like the lower AM entry and the prospect of finishing earlier and having porch time while the PROs are shooting. But on the other hand open shotgun is a lot more fun for me.

An amatuer is an amatuer. Division really doesn't have anything to do with it. You're only competing with those in your division. Others are tip-toeing around it, so I'll just ask, with utmost respect, would you please add open division to the amatuer match? Figure you won't if no one asks. Even the tacticool guys are running dual optics on their AR's now.

Edited by OPENB

Maybe my take on the AM vs Pro is way off base, but I kinda like the notion of "no divisions" in AM. I put on a local level 3 gun back in November. I'd say a good 50% if not more of the people who showed up had never shot 3 gun or any type of competition. The "new" shooters had wild varieties of equipment. I'd have a guy with a hi-cap 9 (irons), an 870 with an extension, and a mall ninja AR with a 3x9 leapers and laser, BUIS, and a $30 offset red dot. Or the guy who had an old 1100 (no extension), a glock 34, and a m1 Carbine. Trying to fit them in a division where they felt welcome as new shooters, but not intimidated was tough. I would've loved to just let them run without worrying about divisions. But I also had the repeat shooters who spent a lot of time and $$ developing their rigs for a specific division. I couldn't really throw out the divisions without backlash from those guys.

Seems like the AM match is a perfect way to do this. Particularly with a random prize table.

The AM division is really for folks that have not been competing in the big matches before, if you've been shooting state and larger matches your place is probably in the Pro's

jc

I understand what you are saying. And I do not have a dog in that hunt. But in the small demographics of our club, there are several shooters who only have open gear, who have never shot a big match...definately amature material in the scope of things who have said many times to me "If I did not have to compete against (Insert big name here) they would love to go to a big tournament. I bet there are many more out there like that,shooting open. Just my .02 worth.

I got an idea! Make it all open division.

That makes sense to me, especially in the AM Division - "Run what ya brung". Particularly with the random draw prize table for AM.

On the Pro side - snicker at that term, especially since that's where I'll be and I'm far from being a Pro - it'll be mostly the same core-group of 300 or so guys/gals who show up at the big matches anyway. Divisions for these guys make sense, since these are the "usual suspects".

That makes sense to me, especially in the AM Division - "Run what ya brung". Particularly with the random draw prize table for AM.

On the Pro side - snicker at that term, especially since that's where I'll be and I'm far from being a Pro - it'll be mostly the same core-group of 300 or so guys/gals who show up at the big matches anyway. Divisions for these guys make sense, since these are the "usual suspects".

So when a big dog shows up with a Bedell 9mm, and a saiga and sign up for AM everybody is cool with that? I'm not saying they would win I'm just saying that making it all open is not a good idea. The rifles really don't matter what matters in Open is the Shotgun more than anything and the pistols.

I thought Tactical only was pretty good for the AM side. I wouldn't mind seeing it split to Optics and Irons, but for simplicity sake I think Tactical only is fair enough. If someone is willing to shell out $125 for a large 3 gun match they shouldn't mind peeking at the gear rules and conforming whatever they may have to fit. It's still "nearly" run-whatcha-brung..just take the second optic off rifle and leave the comped pistol at home. If someone only has a pump shotgun, pop the $30 for a mag extension and run it. We still have 7 months to prep gear and practice.

Due to the difference in entry fee, I don't think an AM getting 'bumped' to Pro-open is going to happen, unless they are willing to shell out another $125 to stay in the game.

So when a big dog shows up with a Bedell 9mm, and a saiga and sign up for AM everybody is cool with that? I'm not saying they would win I'm just saying that making it all open is not a good idea. The rifles really don't matter what matters in Open is the Shotgun more than anything and the pistols.

Personally, I'd be OK with that. Why a "big dog" would want to compete in AM is beyond me, but the random draw prize table will keep them from reaping any financial reward. I would hope the "big dog" has enough shooting buddies who would mock him without mercy to prevent this from happening. :cheers:

Personally, I'd be OK with that. Why a "big dog" would want to compete in AM is beyond me, but the random draw prize table will keep them from reaping any financial reward. I would hope the "big dog" has enough shooting buddies who would mock him without mercy to prevent this from happening. :cheers:

Like I said it doesn't matter to me as I'll be shooting HM legal gear for fun anyway but you know its going to happen.

I think I'll shoot the match first........and THEN make comments on how to improve the event if needed.

Read the rules, pick your stuff, shoot the match. I really dont think the divisions, or lack of, is going to make this event more/less fun. My O2.

The AM division is really for folks that have not been competing in the big matches before, if you've been shooting state and larger matches your place is probably in the Pro's

jc

Thx, That clears things up. I Got caught up on the word "Pro" I'm everything but that :P. Maybe it should be renamed to Gamers and Mall Ninjas I mean Veteran 3-gunners and Amateurs :)

FWIW I plan to shoot the match using a RDS and maybe a magnifier, in pro. I am planning on having a blast. It is a great facility, the stages are going to be from some of the best in the business, and it is relatively close. It'll be warm in August too.

Any tick that plans on biting me better have a supply of lime and coconut. Or is that Lyme and coconut?

I have never shot a state level match or higher so I consider myself an AM. IDPA has been my game, currently SSP MA.

I will be shooting in AM with my iron sight 16" AR, M+P 9, and Moss 930.

At club level matches I finish top 5-10%

I think like any match, I will compare myself to those similarly equipped, and take pleasure from beating those with high dollar rigs.

I guess my question is, when looking at the scores after the match, will the equipment used by each competitor be listed? Or even if not used, the classification they would really be shooting in? This would really help me determining how I'd stacked up against the competition. Otherwise my only performance gauge will be comparing my score to those in PRO TAC/IRONS, which would still be OK, I guess.

First and foremost thanks again for putting on this match.

David E.

There won't be any PRO TAC/IRON division. I still feel that the whole thing should have ben Tac only. By the time you split off the guys who Don't want to get beat by ____ in open again, or the guy who just can't stand facing off against _____ in Heavy Metal....etc,and put them in AM, you end up putting on a match in the smaller divisions of 6-8 guys tops.

Now the AM side is where there should be divisions and those should be Tac Non Magnified, and Tac. so folks CAN compare.

I guarantee that when you put on a major match you will NEVER please everyone, but at the same time you have to ask why are we even bothering to take the extra effort in scoring/prize distribution for 6 guys out of 300.

Trapr and I have often thought of a big match with 300 slots, 150 of which would be T.O. 50 Open, 50 T. 1X, and 50 H.M. When one division is full you can pick any of the 3 other or not shoot. It would be interesting to see. It may only be a one time deal as shooters might not like it, OR it might be the next Bread Slicer....you never know. :devil:

Trapr and I have often thought of a big match with 300 slots, 150 of which would be T.O. 50 Open, 50 T. 1X, and 50 H.M. When one division is full you can pick any of the 3 other or not shoot. It would be interesting to see. It may only be a one time deal as shooters might not like it, OR it might be the next Bread Slicer....you never know. :devil:

This is a good idea - would be interesting to see the choices people make, and would probably be a lot easier for the staff to set up a more equitable prize table among the different divisions.

There won't be any PRO TAC/IRON division. I still feel that the whole thing should have ben Tac only. By the time you split off the guys who Don't want to get beat by ____ in open again, or the guy who just can't stand facing off against _____ in Heavy Metal....etc,and put them in AM, you end up putting on a match in the smaller divisions of 6-8 guys tops.

Now the AM side is where there should be divisions and those should be Tac Non Magnified, and Tac. so folks CAN compare.

I guarantee that when you put on a major match you will NEVER please everyone, but at the same time you have to ask why are we even bothering to take the extra effort in scoring/prize distribution for 6 guys out of 300.

I am with you Kurt!

Patrick

+1,000 !!!

The more divisions, the more you dilute the talent and the prize pool. There is no reason why you can't mix tac irons and tac optics. I will guarantee you that the top 5 will be mixed optics and irons and it wouldn't surprise me to see an irons shooter take overall.

Personally, I'd just as soon Jeff went back to tac only. I sincerely doubt that there are any serious open shooters who couldn't put a tactical rig together for the match, practice with it and be competitive.

jc

i hope that is not a hard and fast rule. i have been to a few big matches, benning and last years blue ridge match. BUT those who know me know i am in it for the fun.

and people who know how i shoot, slowsure, cloudy, Mike P, Ben and so on wonder why i waste my money shooting these matches. :)

in USPSA 3 gun,i have won and lost in my "D" class.

love the sport and the people are great, BUT random draw prize table for me that a great prize in itself! :cheers:

i have had a room on 1 st floor at the hotel saved since this match was first posted. i hope to get in on the AM side myself, but if it has to be pro well i am use to the table scrapes.

thanks

Edited by RWF