Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com/ Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Championship

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Just watched the interview and it turned out really well. I can't wait to shoot this match.

My .02 is that, since you're recognizing open class, you should recognize open and tac optics on the pro side and tac optics and tac irons with non magnified RDS on the amateur side. That would allow all the new (to 3 Gun Competition) shooters with red dots to shoot against each other and not worry about the magnified optics shooters.

I'll be shooting tac optics either way but I thought that might make it more appealling to some.

Great points about safety Jeff. BTW, did anyone notice that in all the stages at FB3G this year (IIRC) in which a handgun was used, that the handgun was always the last weapon to be used in the stage?

Newbie here,

Planning to shoot this match in the amateur division with irons. I see from the match info; rifle shots to 300 yds. What size would the target be at 300? Or is the distance for the amateur COF less? I will be shooting what I have, 16” AR with A-2 sights. I don’t want to look the fool more than I have too; what should a realistic goal be for irons/distant shots/target-group size? Working on hitting an 8” plate at 200 yards now. Guess this part of my post is in the wrong place.

David

SSP MA

Newbie 3-gunner

David,

I anticipate AM rifle shots will be out to about 250 yards at MGM flash targets probably 10", though some of the closer targets that will be smaller may be a greater challange, but certainly doable with a 16" iron sighted rifle. If you are getting 3-4" groups at 100 and stay in that moa range you should be fine out for the match

jc

What do you think the pro side will have for rifle shots? Still trying to decide what division to enter. Nobody would ever call me a pro, but if I am traveling this far I am tempted to enter the pro side for the extra stage and challenge. But I do not want to upset anyone in the pro division with my average shooting.

Pro side rifle targets will be about 300 yds, everyone should be able to reach those and dope whatever wind we may have. I didn't want any changing wind conditions to be determining the outcome of the match depending on winds and when folks shoot it due to squadding.

No worries on entering into Pro, we all know only a true few at the top are Pro and have full rides to do this.

:cheers:

jc

What do you think the pro side will have for rifle shots? Still trying to decide what division to enter. Nobody would ever call me a pro, but if I am traveling this far I am tempted to enter the pro side for the extra stage and challenge. But I do not want to upset anyone in the pro division with my average shooting.

+1

I know I'm a 3 gun nobody but I think it would be a good idea to have TO and TI in AM division. It would allow those with RDS on their rifles or those that don't want to spend the money on the optic and just use Irons to not feel left out. I don't care either way I'm shooting HM gear for S&Gs! B)

Read the thread but still not clear on this. Are you saying that the plan is that all of the am shooters shoot tactical and the pros can elect either open or tactical?

Yes charles that is correct

Is there a reason? At first glance I thought it was maybe because you just wanted to have one prize table. Then I thought that if you were going to distribute prizes in the AM Division by random draw, you would only need one prize table anyway.

I know I'm a 3 gun nobody but I think it would be a good idea to have TO and TI in AM division. It would allow those with RDS on their rifles or those that don't want to spend the money on the optic and just use Irons to not feel left out. I don't care either way I'm shooting HM gear for S&Gs! B)

Those guys are't meant to be left out, they can shoot irons or RDS in the Tactical division, they don't have to go buy an optic and they can see how they stack up against the whole lot and the stages are being designed where they should be able to complete with those blasters and it doesn't affect how they go to the prize table because its random draw

Hey Jeff, have you figured out how the whole Pro/Am thing is going to work for ROs?

DanO

It's no different, we will have RO's that choose to shoot the AM side and some that shoot the Pro stages, shooters choice based on thier experience. People can have tons of experience and be great RO's and due to other factors still feel they are more comfortable in AM. All of the RO's in the match are PRO RO's in my book, I will let them decide on the shooting aspects :cheers: