Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com/ Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Championship

So with all the interest on the AM side here and ARF, how many slots will be availible? Will it be like a Benning signup with everybody's finger on the mouse at midnight? Kinda seems like there might be quite a few dissapointed am's that won't get to play or am I way off base? Signed a verifiable 1 major 3Ggun match shooter and a lowly B limited.

DaG

IMO most of those who shoot Benning are going to want to sign up to shoot pro and that is what is going to be the match administration nightmare. Having Pro and AM in a single match is a great idea. Getting the right number of slots for each group is the :devil: in the detail.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said before the AM side is intended for the new shooter, if you've shot Benning, and are a C USPSA or above you are probably not new, you've got some experience, but then again I am not going to make that decision for anyone.

And unfortunately this will be like Ft Benning on registration, plan is (emphasis on plan) to have an online registration on Feb 15 where everyone clicks the mouse and tries to get in. Yes there will be disappointment, even though we are bumping it all up to 500 in the match, AR15.com's newsletter which includes match announcement, has gone out to their 150,000 subscribers, it is on 3 Gun Nation, on here and who knows where else. I wish everyone could get in but I think we will turn away quite a few interested shooters, I would recommend trying to register for Pro if you are not a true newer shooter as I think the number of entries may actually be less there than in AM, but what do I know I took this job.

FB3GDQ, I think I will have you and I give a clinic on how to avoid being DQ'ed!! :cheers::devil::blush::roflol:

USPSA or IDPA pistol classification is irrelevant in 3 gun.

Jesse- you should be beat with a garden hose for even mentioning it! :sight:

its about 33.3% relevant, haha.

If you have shot major matches and finished decent, then Pro sounds like where they want you. If you've never shot a 3gun, or just a couple small local ones, then Am may be your home. (at least thats how it seems they are wanting it)

If you have shot enough USPSA or IDPA matches to be classified (keeping in mind that the actual

classifications have little or nothing to do with 3 Gun), can be safe handling three weapons -

possibly at the same time and you have to talk to friends and fellow shooters about how to shoot

a reasonably complicated field course, you're an Amateur. There's no stigma attached to shooting

Amateur. Everybody has to start somewhere and shooting Pro at a major match for a prize table is

stupid. Shoot the match, learn, have a good time. It's a game.

If you've been shooting practical shooting matches of some sort - including a few 3 Gun matches -

for at least a year, feel comfortable with 3 guns and you can read the average field course without

saying "oh shite, I screwed that up" after most stages then shoot Pro. If you fit in this loosely

defined definition of Pro and still shoot Amateur then shame on you. You will stay where you are

and never progress. For you guys who usually finish at or near the top in pistol matches but shoot

little 3 Gun, shoot Pro. You already know how to shoot, handle a gun safely and read a stage. The

rest is just practice.

One more thing.

Drop the debate and the whining about Divisions in Amateur. It is not going to happen no matter

how much pleading you or anyone else does. If you want to shoot a Pro-Am with Open, Tac-Optics,

Tac-Irons, Heavy Metal, slings and arrows, Pick a date, spend a year putting the match together,

listen to everybody of a forum bitch because something was not done - before the match even

started - and have your match. Do to the dramatic increase of participation in 3 Gun, I'm sure it'll

fill and everybody will come.

Edited by Scout454

OK I can't keep outta this one any longer.

If you're scared and want to hide from the Pro's and guys like me, you shoot amateur. If you are the man, again like me, you shoot Pro and see how you stack up against the best of the best out there. In my case, I will proabbly win it all with my 11" supressed SBR, 14.5" SBS, and my G18 FA. :cheers::ph34r::roflol::surprise::devil::sight::goof::sick:

Edited by ATAS

sounds to me like all the ARFCOMMers are going to get herded to the Amateur side of things.

whereas, all the USPSAers/BE'ers/"gamers" are going to get shuttled to the Pro side.

darn! I was really looking forward to putting this "gamer" vs. "tactibilly" rift to bed finally.

sorry if this comes off as crass, but the Amateur side sounds like 3 gun with training wheels.

Scout454 wrote:

If you have shot enough USPSA or IDPA matches to be classified (keeping in mind that the actua classifications have little or nothing to do with 3 Gun), can be safe handling three weapons possibly at the same time and you have to talk to friends and fellow shooters about how to shoot a reasonably complicated field course, you're an Amateur There's no stigma attached to shooting Amateur. Everybody has to start somewhere and shooting.............

hmmn...okay!? since you seem to have written so authoritatively/unequivocally on those matters, I gotta ask....

are you the Match Director, Range Master, or some other event staff member?

Three cheers for all us sandbaggin' B class shooters!

My name is Bryan, and I am a B class shooter.

Are you the same AM that won his division in Ozark?????

I never said I was an AM, and but I'm certainly not claiming to be a Pro! :)

I'm all thumbs with a pistol, and it looks like I've only shot a total of 5 classifiers in the last 2 years. Which is probably why I'm still a B.

My problem as well. i am a B class and only shot two classifiers last year.

Chad, B doesn't stand for Beer class.

Dam!!!!!!

As I've said before the AM side is intended for the new shooter, if you've shot Benning, and are a C USPSA or above you are probably not new, you've got some experience, but then again I am not going to make that decision for anyone.

And unfortunately this will be like Ft Benning on registration, plan is (emphasis on plan) to have an online registration on Feb 15 where everyone clicks the mouse and tries to get in. Yes there will be disappointment, even though we are bumping it all up to 500 in the match, AR15.com's newsletter which includes match announcement, has gone out to their 150,000 subscribers, it is on 3 Gun Nation, on here and who knows where else. I wish everyone could get in but I think we will turn away quite a few interested shooters, I would recommend trying to register for Pro if you are not a true newer shooter as I think the number of entries may actually be less there than in AM, but what do I know I took this job.

FB3GDQ, I think I will have you and I give a clinic on how to avoid being DQ'ed!! :cheers::devil::blush::roflol:

I want in on that. At Least Ben and I shot the whole match and then DQed!!!

Scout454 wrote:

Yes And I've been shooting 3 Gun since 1984 Unless you ant to count Vietnam which would make it 1966.

Okay, thanks for your service.

If you don't mind, where do you fit in then in the "chain of command" with respect to the Rockcastle match?

I only ask because the next time I see one of your posts in this thread about how the match is going to be set up or run or whatever a rule might be, and you explain it, at least then I know it is coming from somebody in a position to do so.

Thanks.

The AM division is really for folks that have not been competing in the big matches before, if you've been shooting state and larger matches your place is probably in the Pro's

jc

There is the vague yet fairly simple (at least i think its simple :mellow: ) explanation as to what division you should look at. Do you travel for the major matches? shoot at some 3GN matches last year? then you belong in the "pro" division. Never shot a 3gun match in anything more than a local place that uses scale targets b/c they dont even have a long distance range? Then "Am" may be the spot for you.

This isn't rocket science people.

So basically what you're saying then is if the winner of the AM match uses competitive equipment he will be deemed a 'hiding out sandbagger'?

If you're a Pro at Phil's Pro-Am you're a Pro at this one.

:cheers:

And if you shoot Am at Phil's Pro-Am, you're shooting Am at this one? :sight:

My comment wasn't for me, but I wouldn't want to be the 'silky shirt' wearer that wins the Am match. I like shooting order of finish prize table matches. I like match pressure, makes it more fun. Even if my order of finish garners me some fancy new boot laces.

The AM division is really for folks that have not been competing in the big matches before, if you've been shooting state and larger matches your place is probably in the Pro's

jc

There is the vague yet fairly simple (at least i think its simple :mellow: ) explanation as to what division you should look at. Do you travel for the major matches? shoot at some 3GN matches last year? then you belong in the "pro" division. Never shot a 3gun match in anything more than a local place that uses scale targets b/c they dont even have a long distance range? Then "Am" may be the spot for you.

This isn't rocket science people.

Going by that estimation I should shoot AM but it looks like I'll be ridiculed for doing that so I guess I'll be signing up for PRO with everybody else. I've never shot a major 3 gun match other than the Ky state match which has about a 100 yard limit. 1/2 scale targets don't do much for getting your hold overs at 300 yards when you never see them......oh well. Guess I'll be getting the mouse gun back out after the Ky state match. If I'm going to spend the money I'm going to use the competitive gear even if I'm not. Heaven forbid I get called names because I'm ok with the pistol. :ph34r: eeh its just money they make it everyday B)

I'd rather hear what constitutes a Pro or an Am straight from the horse's mouth, and/or have it posted to their website.

to do otherwise, is to subject oneself to conjecture/speculation and somebody else's preconceived notions.

show me something in black and white, please.