Sons of Guns

gohuskers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion :closedeyes:

This show falls very short in all aspects

Not a shred of professionalism in any respect.

It does not portray a competent gunsmith.

It does not show safe gun handling,,or even the minimum of safety equipment.

the dress, attitude, behavior, language, do not reflect what real and responsible gun people are all about.

I find it disgusting :angry2:

Just to think millions of viewers will lump all of us into this low class display :sick:

And I am being polite!!

Jim

You took the words I amended right out of my mouth. I see no value in this show...

My wife thinks I'm "too sensitive" about gun related issues as it is, so when I complain about this show she just rolls her eyes.... One thing that has bugged me from the get go that most of the time they have made it look like you can just roll into a shop and walk out with something like a suppressed SBR.

Except for the parts of the one show with the WWII vet that won the MOH I think the show is actually portrays gun owners (and smiths for that matter) in a poor light. I like it when shooting and firearms in general get exposure but I don't think this type of exposure helps our cause.

Can you imagine all of the "sound bytes" the various gun control groups are getting from this poor excuse for a show! I turned it on the other night after reading about it on the forum and could only watch for less than 10 minutes. Apparently, I need to get some ink! Maybe that is only for the "assault weapon" crowd. It looks like I have the equipment in my shop to start making guns. Pretty crude fab work to say the least. The episode I saw had a guy walk in and want to buy a supressed shotgun. They told him no problem, come back in a couple of weeks. I guess the permits are just a formality. Anyway, I will definitely not be dignifying this dog pile by viewing it again.

I thought the AR "challenge" was hilarious. A week to assemble five rifles? Did they have 6.5 days of other stuff to do before they started on the AR's? My brother and I assembled our own AR's in an afternoon - with no training other than youtube - and with about 9 beers between us.

Ok, I tried to give this show a chance. But after watching them struggle to assemble 5 ars in a week, and seeing nothing that looked like quality work, save the sagia conversions, as well as calling a flare gun a grenade launcher, not being able to run a .50 (every Marine can make the .50 run, at least in the infantry) unless they didnt build it square, repeatedly telling me the M203 was from the Vietnam era (must have been an antique model I had in circa 2005 Iraq), and totally Mall Ninjaing the hell out of a Thompson, and then telling me that it will kill anyone who shoots it after just shooting it, I call B.S. This show needs to get pulled off the air and fast! These people make us all look bad.

Edited by ClutchUSMC

Ok, I tried to give this show a chance. But after watching them struggle to assemble 5 ars in a week, and seeing nothing that looked like quality work, save the sagia conversions, as well as calling a flare gun a grenade launcher, not being able to run a .50 (every Marine can make the .50 run, at least in the infantry) unless they didnt build it square, repeatedly telling me the M203 was from the Vietnam era (must have been an antique model I had in circa 2005 Iraq), and totally Mall Ninjaing the hell out of a Thompson, and then telling me that it will kill anyone who shoots it after just shooting it, I call B.S. This show needs to get pulled off the air and fast! These people make us all look bad.

Making us look bad could be the whole point of the show.

Jim

As far as gun safety goes, I think it depends on your frame of reference. I am 51, grew up in rural Kentucky (read red-neck), got my first BB gun at maybe 8, 22 at 10 and 20 GA at 12. The only gun rule I knew about was from my WWII vet dad who said son, "Guns can kill you, don't point your gun at anyone you’re not planning on shooting". That rule has worked so far, it was only about 5 years ago when I first heard 180 rule, safe area, hot range, cold range, finger off the trigger and other gun handling rules. I would venture a guess things like 180 rule are unknown to most "gun owners" who do not shoot competitively.

I would also bet their gun handling skills are not far off the mark from many other good old boys down south.

If you haven’t or don’t live in the rural south, you might be surprised what is normal good old boy fun.

Sign Redneck by Birth

Yeah, that Thompson replica was going cyclic on the first two attempts at test fire. It wasn't until the 3rd or so attempt (shown) that he finally mentioned it was running away. Could be the editing.

The flare gun thing did bother me too. Don't try to BS the viewers.

Discovery said that show has 15 MILLION viewers makeing it one of their most popular shows. Ugh.

The sword thing was...well just sad. The Bazooka was an amuzing rocket launcher but at least it was supposed to be fake. Watching Kris use a hand drill trying to make a precision, partial depth hole was like watching a car park across a R/R crossing with flashing lights.

I give them credit for somehow selling the idea for a show to Discovery. I do want to see more gun friendly shows on tv. I just hope this one doesn't back fire on the pro-gun movement.

repeatedly telling me the M203 was from the Vietnam era (must have been an antique model I had in circa 2005 Iraq),

I must be missing something here, and I did miss the show they talked about this in. But the M203 was from the Vietnam War. I'm betting you probably had that M203 under some variant of an M4 or M16. Not sure if you knew but those also were adopted during the Vietnam War, about 45ish years ago if memory serves. They are antiques. But still not as old as the 1911 that is issued to MARSOC.

Now I know the bazooka was to be a prop for re-enactment but did you get a look at the welding? I also noticed the welding on the trashed sword at the handle, granted it was not the boss doing the work but I would never let any one see that kind of work if i was to trying to be a professional gun shop. Jim maybe you are on to something hmmmm.....

My wife thinks I'm "too sensitive" about gun related issues as it is, so when I complain about this show she just rolls her eyes.... One thing that has bugged me from the get go that most of the time they have made it look like you can just roll into a shop and walk out with something like a suppressed SBR.

Except for the parts of the one show with the WWII vet that won the MOH I think the show is actually portrays gun owners (and smiths for that matter) in a poor light. I like it when shooting and firearms in general get exposure but I don't think this type of exposure helps our cause.

I thought it was pretty funny when the sheriff reached for his modified thompson at the range and the gun shop owner pulled it away and said he could have it in 5 or 6 weeks when the paperwork cleared. At least there not like ever main stream media report involving automatic weapons and suppressors. They allways state that they are illegal to sell or own in this country.

Not the best show in the world b ut it beats Desperate Housewives or Couger Town!!!

Edited by Turboprop

I enjoy watching it simply to be amazed they get anything to work! If .001" of misalignment will cause their integral AK to puke it's pieces all over creation they REALLY need to go back to Suppression 101 and bone up on projectile clearance, threading, and tolerance stacking. Also, looking at their monocore, they should really look at some gas flow dynamics software.

And paint? Duracoating everything you sell isn't exactly showing quality workmanship.

One thing they really should do is give a proper explanation of the NFA act and the GCA. It would help reduce a lot of the confusion surrounding just WHAT they are doing.

Ken

I keep watching hoping things get better because Will seems like good people but the roof mounted .223 was too much. "If this doesn't work people will DIE" was the furthest reach yet. They had time to order the big green laser, why not a standard .30 cal LMG and a stiffer mount to reduce the bounce?

Heck, they introduced me to Tab Benoit's music so I guess I'll hang on.

I keep watching hoping things get better because Will seems like good people but the roof mounted .223 was too much. "If this doesn't work people will DIE" was the furthest reach yet. They had time to order the big green laser, why not a standard .30 cal LMG and a stiffer mount to reduce the bounce?

That whole episode was full of FAIL! From the fake "contractor" to the cheap design of an M-16 in the plastic housing on the roof.

Edited by ninemmbill

Some of my co-workers think this is the greatest show ever. It surprises me because they have been around cars their whole lives. They know what good fabrication looks like, at least when it comes to cars. I guess when it comes to guns they don't look at things the same way.

That whole episode was full of FAIL! From the fake "contractor" to the cheap design of an M-16 in the plastic housing on the roof.

It was, indeed, hilarious. I want to see if the actor who played the contractor puts his appearance on this show on his IMDB resume.

I really liked how they had to load the rifle by stopping the car, opening the door, and then taking 8 minutes to shimmy a beta mag into place. Seems really practical.

And why, if recoil is the thing that is going to make the mount and robotics fail, did they not put even a simple compensator on the gun? What good does a birdcage flash hider do when the gun is mounted to a freaking vehicle, protect the paint? Because clearly hiding the flash isn't the most important thing when the gun sits atop a 4000 lb SUV.

Watching the first meeting with the "contractor" was like watching a bad spy movie.

Funny, I didn't even think about their use of a birdcage instead of comp.

I'm curious how the guy that looks like Seth Rogan still works there. Who is he related to? Probably a hell of nice guy but he failed at the simplest of builds. The "Leopard gun". His tools are right up my alley (hacksaw)...but dang..it was a simple task.

The viewer count is up to over 21 million. I guess they are doing something right.

General negative observations:

I think RedHat was spawned over on the saiga forum doing conversions on Saiga's ... not sure that constitutes master gunsmithing. Certainly SHORT saiga's need plenty of tuning (moving the gas system, polishing actions that sometimes don't have reliability out of the box, etc) ... but once you've done a few it should be pretty std.

Being a marine doesn't make you a firearm encyclopedia ... tho Will and his daughter know a lot more than average.

The ma duece never did seem to run well. Lots of stopping and working the action even after it was "broken in". Could be ammo problems? That's an expensive problem to diagnose ... but a fun one to fix too.

I wasn't impressed with the self sell on the suppressor. I know shotguns don't lend themselves to uberquiteness but dropping the DB's from 150's to 140's didn't seem like much. I did a little research ... seems like there's a lot of variables (small indoor range, quality of measuring equipment, etc). I couldn't tell how loud it really was on TV, but I'd have to have someone describe it to me, especially as being comfortable to shoot without earing protection ... so waiting to see. Also, I do think Tromix and others already tried this out.

Definitely have seen M16/Shotgun marriages before.

The accuracy challenge to see who shoots ... that was terrible ... I could shoot better than that before I got into handguns much! Funny the chica pulled out the shotgun tho!

acting is ... suspect. Weekly subjects are likely staged ... or the film crew films 24x7 hahaha ..Chance encounter with MOH recipient? ... with crew on hand? Marine admitting on TV he's afraid of anything? heh.

When they xrayed the cannon before shooting ... they found metal problems and then they shot it anyways ... seems like they did it for drama.

So why will I continue to watch and recommend to friends?

We've come a long way baby. I sat thru 1000's of hours of gun phobic tv. How many irresponsible "average" gun owners can cop drama's, forensic shows and the like dream up? I remember shows of target shooting in neighborhood with no backstop killing victim blocks away? get real. HD situation where man shoots the ceiling? etc. I LOVE MAINSTREAMING of shooting. The girl LOVES to shoot. Dudes come in off the street. Sure they aren't all pretty people, but they seem average to me.

And I happen to think it's funny that they basically switched daughter for sons and firearms for motorcycles from the chopper build show.

Lastly, Love the promotion of our military and it's hero's.

Ugg, there's so much BS it's getting hard to take!!! The short breech loading pistol that might be charged and dangerous ... yet Will points the muzzle EVERYWHERE! The contractor .... too funny. I think he might be real, but his acting skillz and self image were funny. The remote build .. that's 98% a job for a robotic's team. ANYTHING done there is .02% gunsmithing. He rails on using a game controler ... but that's what they ended up with. The movie prop gun that DIDN'T work! hahahahaha. Run out to the truck and get me some oil out of the engine .... surprised they didn't grab some duct tape and hangers while they were out there.

As much as I like "mainstreaming" firearms on TV ... this one is getting hard to take. The father daughter relationship is played out! Will's on my last nerve. Told my son I can't watch it with him anymore ... but I'm going to try to watch it as a comedy and see if I can stomach it that way?