Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sons of Guns

gohuskers

The only actual firearm I have seen them (build), not butcher...was a prison quality zip gun to shoot gators with.

I know so many masterful smiths and machinists, that watching the (show) makes me just plain sick.

It may make money, and it may be entertainment, but I dont think it shows gun owners or shooters in a respectful light!

It also shows nothing of the true craftsmanship that is so evedent in the real gunsmithing trade.

It may be that this show will improve, and start doing things that better represent us.

But untill then.... I will pass

Jim

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this show first came out, I thought "Cool, something that's up my alley".

Then of course, came the personality fluff and the character fluff and the daughter fluff...not to mention the ridiculous builds they were showcasing. The Discovery Channel should drop these hacks and throw Jim & I a few K's and we could really put on a show that would actually be a boost to the sport.

• 4 months later...

Various sources reporting today that Sons of Guns is... uh... in trouble.

Apparently the "shop owner" isn't really. He and his daughter lost their FFL after some guns went missing, three of the 'smiths got together and formed a new LLC, actually run the place (rather than just "employees".

Entertaining thread on arfcom. Have to say, the drama is more interesting than the show...

:ph34r:

Apparently the "shop owner" isn't really. He and his daughter lost their FFL after some guns went missing, three of the 'smiths got together and formed a new LLC, actually run the place (rather than just "employees".

Entertaining thread on arfcom. Have to say, the drama is more interesting than the show...

Do you have a link? That's pretty crazy news

Do you have a link? That's pretty crazy news

http://gunnuts.net/2...guns-loses-ffl/

http://www.tmz.com/2...ayden-firearms/

Show first aired Jan 2011. So possible this all happened before show even was filmed.

Edited by eerw

When this show first came out, I thought "Cool, something that's up my alley".

Then of course, came the personality fluff and the character fluff and the daughter fluff...not to mention the ridiculous builds they were showcasing. The Discovery Channel should drop these hacks and throw Jim & I a few K's and we could really put on a show that would actually be a boost to the sport.

It would never work. Real gunsmithing is about as fun to watch as watching grass grow. And you can't build a $5000 dollar competition gun in 32 minutes and then go blow stuff up with it. :roflol:

That says 2009. Happened awhile back. So what?.

It all came out today, as the business was in Vince's name and he left in Nov of this year. Apparently he and the daughter got in an argument on FB last night all the gloves were off.

The loss of 10 NFA items is kind of a big deal. The ability of father and daughter to NEVER have an FFL in their name is kind of a big deal.

Why discovery put such hacks on TV is beyond me but they have really made the gun community look bad this time...

From 'informed' sources ...

I just spoke to Will. When they got the TV show Will wanted his main guys to have a part of the business so he started a new license to include them as partners. They turned in their sole ownership license and are operating on the new LLC license with Joe and Charley as the responsible party. Will lost 2 AK receivers in 2004 on his old license, those are the only missing numbers, they were reported and they were not machine guns.

Of course being Hollywood the rumors are what they are, Rumors

Consider the source "TMZ"

• 2 weeks later...

Just wait my friends, there are producers that are not done filming hacks yet. As we speak another show is in the works and don't expect the bar to be raised. Not sure what TV channel is going to air it but it probably wont help true Shooters image either.

I just found this show on Netflix, and I watched a few episodes. I took an immediate dislike to it, mostly because I was not impressed with what they were building and shocked by what they were charging for it. I saw an episode the other night with their "Katana" AR, designed by some trainer who according to the show was a really big deal but who I'd never heard of. Nevertheless, I thought that the way they built a lightweight carbine was conceptually sound, so I went to the Red Jacket website to look at pics. They want $1800 for a complete rifle, or $600 for the upper. I've never put together an upper, but I've put together a lower, and I can't conceive of how an AR lower could possibly be worth $1200. It's not billet or anything else that would make it more expensive, and I didn't see where it even had an enhanced trigger. What could they possibly be doing to make at most $300 worth of parts and 30 minutes of labor worth $1200?

I just watched the episode when Vince left. He left them standing with their cranks in their hands. Hahahaha! Good for him. Pissed me off how he got shat on, at least after editing he did. Chris can dremel an AK but can't ASSEMBLE an AR? It was Chris who lost the buffer, and no that is really not why an AR won't fire on auto. If the disconnect spring is installed wrong, that is why it won't fire more than one. MK18's, MK12'S, M4's etc don't use hydraulic buffers and work just fine.

There is a huge thread on this on barfcom too. Lets say they dug a bit deeper...

Not as bad as the thread on snipershide :)

The SH thread is epic. :)

Just when I thought these guys could not set the bar any lower. They dropped it several notches at once!

Knowing that the shows are edited to achieve a desired result, I saw the writing on the wall about Vince. Will had been treating him like crap for a couple of shows. The stuff they aired also looked to put Vince in a bad light. I'm in it for one more show and then I'm done. I want to see the aftermath when they all get back from Vegas and Vince is gone. Funny though, the main concern seems to be "Crap, our FFL holder just left." Not, "Oh man, what happened to Vince?"

...the buffer, and no that is really not why an AR won't fire on auto. If the disconnect spring is installed wrong, that is why it won't fire more than one.

...and do we really think Rifle Dynamics didn't have a disconnector spring somewhere around the shop?

...and do disconnector springs really come in "a couple of sizes and lengths" (at the gun shop)

...and... feh. I 90% think the episode was re-edited after Vince left, just to make him look bad.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had to go to my Class 3 FFL / Gun smith to file paperwork for my new M11 and found him working on a customer’s 223 AK redoing some barrel work. At first I didn’t understand why he was so bitchy doing the work it turns out the customers AK was a Red Jacket build, the barrel work was so bad it was returned to Red Jacket 4 times then ended up to his place. He told me he worked on the barrel but it was beyond repair so he had to install a new barrel. I was shown the removed barrel and was surprised it looked like it came out of a gun build by an amateur without the proper tools (Dremel). After finding this article well I feel bad the guys that got their AR’s from Academy.

You can see the notches were too small a grinder was used for fitting, the diameter of the barrel was too the barrel was welded and grinded down to fit.

post-15420-0-16007400-1331319993_thumb.j

post-15420-0-70076900-1331320013_thumb.j