Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sons of Guns

gohuskers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not so good for enthusiast like most of us, but I could over hear in many of my classes "dude bro, they put a shotgun on a m16 it was so awesome". So apparently they are getting through to someone.

I do like how shooting is getting mainstream. I hear a lot of guys talking about firearms in class. I am a crim major so that may have somthing to do with it.

Edited by GuyC

I watched the show tonight. I have a few problems with it. It seems nearly every gun is a AOW, Suppressed or in some other way a generally accepted view of what 'bad guys' use. The customers coming into the store look like people that i would not want to see with suppressed short barreled SGs and the like. At least the daughter is telling them that it takes months to go through the paperwork to legally obtain such a piece. The guy that wanted a short barrel Saiga to hunt with was special as was the guy with the blue head band. I don't know about where you all are from but that looked like gang wear. Not a good image for us.

Now as for the backwoods, down home gunsmith and his people, no problem. Not everyone can be an uptown co-op dweller from NYC.

I am not sure I'll bother again.

They should make a show about the Medal of Honor winner. That guy was awesome.

The rest of it is awful. The "reality" acting couldn't be worse. The pistol lesson he gave the couple was worse than anything I've ever seen. Apparently Will can't be bothered to put a clean shirt on. I could go on and on. I'm sure they're all nice guys, and kudos to them for trying to make a show out of their business, but the execution is horrible.

I'll probably tune into the episode where Tromix shows up (you know, the guys who made the Saiga suppressor Red Jacket later claimed to have invented), other than that, I'm out.

The daughter's "God and me" comment from the first episode and last nite's little graphic "AK47 = Assault Weapon" helped me to decide I have better ways to spend my time.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, is there a new requirement for machine operators to be completely tatted up with crazy piercings and freaky haircuts? Not that I care, but if you see anyone on TV on any channel operating anything from a welder to a lathe, they look like walking billboards. Apparently there's crazy money to be made operating machines at small shops, because that much ink isn't cheap.

Mac

No that wasn't james. I don't think james even deals with that kind of equipment.

lilB

Thanks.

The guy wearing one of his shirts, so I thought I'd ask.

Yeah, I didn't even notice the shirt til someone on BayouShooter asked about it so I had to check it again. It wasn't James but it was a member.

The episodes seem to get worse as they continue. I don't understand why TV producers seem to think that they have to add drama to a show in an attempt to get people to watch it. There is such a thing as so called reality TV without all the nonsense. I'd really enjoy a show that focused on a group of quality gun builders and let the audience follow their builds and the customers they build them for. They could focus on competition, hunting, and other shooting sports. I don't know these guys personally but the producers make this group out to be hillbilly wannabe special forces type guys and gals. It all starts with their fake storefront.

I'm done with Sons of Guns though. Next season, if there is one, the Producers should consider selling the program to MTV, and give us something good to watch...

Can you get the stamp or what ever it takes to own that 50cal. machine gun that they built. If they would have made it semi auto would have been legal if in states that you can have a 50.

Not that it mater's because I could not afford to feed it!!

Brent

Can you get the stamp or what ever it takes to own that 50cal. machine gun that they built. If they would have made it semi auto would have been legal if in states that you can have a 50.

Not that it mater's because I could not afford to feed it!!

Brent

Bet against it... Probably registered as a dealer sample. If the kit it was built on had registered/transferable sideplates it would normaly cost a good bit more than what the guy claimed they paid for it..

So far I've seen them assemble a Ma Duece and repair a flame thrower. I would say almost anyone with any fab experience could handle that (and they had to bring in an expert to build the .50) Maybe one of the other episodes shows them actually doing something complicated.

General negative observations:

I think RedHat was spawned over on the saiga forum doing conversions on Saiga's ... not sure that constitutes master gunsmithing. Certainly SHORT saiga's need plenty of tuning (moving the gas system, polishing actions that sometimes don't have reliability out of the box, etc) ... but once you've done a few it should be pretty std.

Being a marine doesn't make you a firearm encyclopedia ... tho Will and his daughter know a lot more than average.

The ma duece never did seem to run well. Lots of stopping and working the action even after it was "broken in". Could be ammo problems? That's an expensive problem to diagnose ... but a fun one to fix too.

I wasn't impressed with the self sell on the suppressor. I know shotguns don't lend themselves to uberquiteness but dropping the DB's from 150's to 140's didn't seem like much. I did a little research ... seems like there's a lot of variables (small indoor range, quality of measuring equipment, etc). I couldn't tell how loud it really was on TV, but I'd have to have someone describe it to me, especially as being comfortable to shoot without earing protection ... so waiting to see. Also, I do think Tromix and others already tried this out.

Definitely have seen M16/Shotgun marriages before.

The accuracy challenge to see who shoots ... that was terrible ... I could shoot better than that before I got into handguns much! Funny the chica pulled out the shotgun tho!

acting is ... suspect. Weekly subjects are likely staged ... or the film crew films 24x7 hahaha ..Chance encounter with MOH recipient? ... with crew on hand? Marine admitting on TV he's afraid of anything? heh.

When they xrayed the cannon before shooting ... they found metal problems and then they shot it anyways ... seems like they did it for drama.

So why will I continue to watch and recommend to friends?

We've come a long way baby. I sat thru 1000's of hours of gun phobic tv. How many irresponsible "average" gun owners can cop drama's, forensic shows and the like dream up? I remember shows of target shooting in neighborhood with no backstop killing victim blocks away? get real. HD situation where man shoots the ceiling? etc. I LOVE MAINSTREAMING of shooting. The girl LOVES to shoot. Dudes come in off the street. Sure they aren't all pretty people, but they seem average to me.

And I happen to think it's funny that they basically switched daughter for sons and firearms for motorcycles from the chopper build show.

Lastly, Love the promotion of our military and it's hero's.

Edited by kdmoore

Lemme see, a guy buys an M2 "kit" and they turn it into full auto. Must be a class III license involved but I'm not sure that means they can convert anything that's not a full auto into one. I suspect there are reams of registration issues over this. Gonna be some nutcases putting full auto conversion plans on the internet. I agree with the comment on machine tools. No cutting oil / coolant is an excellent way to kill tools and parts.

It also seems to be easier to get a variety of Mil-Spec 50 ammo in armour piercing, incendiary, and explosive war heads in the bayous! Must be where the Mexican drug dealers are getting the full auto stuff the BATF claims is coming from the USA. Yea, right! Full auto assault rifles by the dozens are being traded for drugs and money in gun show parking lots all over the country. Hell, it's all you can do to dig out a poor example of a Limited gun at the gun shows in South Florida. Red necks, full auto guns mounted on pick-up truck headache racks and explosive ammo isn't doing our sport any favors.

By the way, a $500 discount for a night bow fishing trip on an airboat! Really! I can charter a 40' sport fisherman for 4 guys for a half day in the Gulf Stream off Miami for $500! They kept hollering "You got a big one" and all they showed was a couple of 3 pound carp. What crap.

Reality programming? Not hardly. This debacle needs to have a VERY short life. :sick:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" John Wayne

How hard is it to assemble 5 AR's?

No Kidding ;)

I can build a complete AR in a bit over an hour and then a few hours at the range to test fire them . Maybe I ought to open a shop up ... LOL

Edited by paraman1

I'm trying to like it, but I have too much RO in me when I watch.

The father obviously loves his little girl. So why would he invite into a hot range, where thy're about to test fire a gun he says may spit parts all over creation, and not tell her to put on some eye protection? I know he looked at her because he chided her and shamed her into removing her hearing protection...

Any more of this and I'll have to DQ the whole series.

I watched it today for the first time. I wasn't impressed with the format of the show nor do I see myself watching it again in the future. Cool concept, boring show... :yawn:

+1 The reality acting and script reading was really bad... very boring :yawn:

In my opinion :closedeyes:

This show falls very short in all aspects

Not a shred of professionalism in any respect.

It does not portray a competent gunsmith.

It does not show safe gun handling,,or even the minimum of safety equipment.

the dress, attitude, behavior, language, do not reflect what real and responsible gun people are all about.

I find it disgusting :angry2:

Just to think millions of viewers will lump all of us into this low class display :sick:

And I am being polite!!

Jim

I was kind of disappointed they never got the M2 running. They tried to fake it well with editing though. No dice for me. They aren't that hard to keep running. Perhaps they didn't get the receiver SQUARE during assembly. Oh, and they PAINTED IT? WTF?

They only have one school trained gunsmith and they tied him up doing 'monkey-smithing' on 5 ARs? Weird. Everyone else just gives real gunsmiths a bad image. That may be a bit harsh but as I watch I have to wonder how many people think ALL gunsmiths look/work like that.

The work shop looks like a Sear catalog spit up. Everything is shiney and new, including the benches and walls. I give them credit for putting on a good shop appearance.

There is a lot of Dremel work going on in that shop. I can't complain about that, mine needs new bearings.

Just like OCC, the "customers" appear to have something to gain by appearing on the show (MOH winner gets a pass).

I've watched every episode and I will probably continue to watch the rest.