Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sons of Guns

gohuskers

Anybody else notice when he hired Flem, he asked him if he could TIG weld, told him to weld these pieces up, then it showed him with a MIG gun? Reminds me of last year on Top Shot when they were shooting the Beretta 92's and somebody thumbcocked it. Had a soundbyte from a Ruger SA being cocked!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep watching hoping things get better because Will seems like good people but the roof mounted .223 was too much. "If this doesn't work people will DIE" was the furthest reach yet. They had time to order the big green laser, why not a standard .30 cal LMG and a stiffer mount to reduce the bounce?

Heck, they introduced me to Tab Benoit's music so I guess I'll hang on.

That whole episode was full of FAIL! From the fake "contractor" to the cheap design of an M-16 in the plastic housing on the roof.

It was, indeed, hilarious. I want to see if the actor who played the contractor puts his appearance on this show on his IMDB resume.

I really liked how they had to load the rifle by stopping the car, opening the door, and then taking 8 minutes to shimmy a beta mag into place. Seems really practical.

And why, if recoil is the thing that is going to make the mount and robotics fail, did they not put even a simple compensator on the gun? What good does a birdcage flash hider do when the gun is mounted to a freaking vehicle, protect the paint? Because clearly hiding the flash isn't the most important thing when the gun sits atop a 4000 lb SUV.

I agree, the first prioity is to get the SUV painted camo so no one can see it ;)

Anybody else notice when he hired Flem, he asked him if he could TIG weld, told him to weld these pieces up, then it showed him with a MIG gun?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Will also said he taught the gunsmith "everything he knows", "not everything I know". Nice. He is the only school trained one of the bunch. If you hire a gunsmith and you want him to clean toilets, that's fine. As long as cleaning the toilets pays the same as hacking on guns it doesn't matter. Still, that episode made Will really look like a jerk of a boss.

I quit watching. I couldnt take the BS any longer. There was also a girl and boyfriend that came into the store looking for something for home defense. He pulls out a suppressed pistol of some sort. No mention of paperwork again.

The roof mounted machine gun??? They made it sound like this was something new. Other than the Dillon, there was another company some years back (5-10 maybe) that had different machine guns that came up through the roof of SUVs. If memory serves me, they had a dillon and another with an M2, both remotely controlled from the passenger seat.

The tubes for the rocket launcher looked like galvanized steel tubing to me. The guy stick welding them would have to be darn good to weld aluminum tubing to the steel angle they used for support.

Welding galvanized is a very very bad thing, breathing the vapors will kill you.

I hope next season they visit Dill Areo, that would be a nice change. :ph34r:

Did anyone watch this show this week? The one with the alligator kill stick? After they tested the kill stick indoors, the other guy set up his tests with various firearms shooting through a Chrono into the ballistics gel. Did you notice he was putting the muzzle inches from the front of the chrono? All I know is you are supposed to be approximately 10' from the chrono, not inches. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, due to the film editing, that maybe just for that shot he was shooting that close, but for others he was further back...but it didn't look like he would have been 10' from the chrono anywhere he set up.

I was hoping he was going to rattle off numbers from the chrono and really solidify what a mess this show is. I keep watching for entertainment value. Reminds me of the scene from the Howard Stern movie when the radio executives are talking about Stern's listeners:

"The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes."

"How can that be? "

"Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

"Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?"

"Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day."

"But... if they hate him, why do they listen?"

"Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Ok, I tried to give this show a chance. But after watching them struggle to assemble 5 ars in a week, and seeing nothing that looked like quality work, save the sagia conversions, as well as calling a flare gun a grenade launcher, not being able to run a .50 (every Marine can make the .50 run, at least in the infantry) unless they didnt build it square, repeatedly telling me the M203 was from the Vietnam era (must have been an antique model I had in circa 2005 Iraq), and totally Mall Ninjaing the hell out of a Thompson, and then telling me that it will kill anyone who shoots it after just shooting it, I call B.S. This show needs to get pulled off the air and fast! These people make us all look bad.

Agree 100%

Ok, I tried to give this show a chance. But after watching them struggle to assemble 5 ars in a week, and seeing nothing that looked like quality work, save the sagia conversions, as well as calling a flare gun a grenade launcher, not being able to run a .50 (every Marine can make the .50 run, at least in the infantry) unless they didnt build it square, repeatedly telling me the M203 was from the Vietnam era (must have been an antique model I had in circa 2005 Iraq), and totally Mall Ninjaing the hell out of a Thompson, and then telling me that it will kill anyone who shoots it after just shooting it, I call B.S. This show needs to get pulled off the air and fast! These people make us all look bad.

With you 100%

Guys on TV are using .22lr rifles to pop gators so I think the 12 gage "kill stick" is a bit dramatic. The reason you use a "boom stick" on sharks is because water reduces the effectiveness of a spring loaded action.

The water cooled AR's were a bit much. They found 725* after 300 rounds air cooled. Then ran ONE 30 round mag through the "water cooled" barrel and found 82*. Huh? Then claimed a 60% reduction in temp. HUH?

Will's "don't try this at home, kids" is just too much at times. The ass chewing ending with "don't confuse this with a conversation" is just over the top. I couldn't work for him. One, I'm a skilled craftsman. Two, his attitude towards his employees.

The killstick was a 410. Like someone else said, a judge would do fine and safer. I like watching "Swamp People", the way they talk cracks me up. Watching them kill Gators with a 22 is a little unnerving.

The premise of the killstick was to finish off the Gator if it was still alive in the boat. The 410 was used to prevent shot from exiting through the more valuable hide on the belly.

Will is on some other forum that I don't remember the name. His posts are a little odd, in my opinion, but they are consistant with an assault rifle enthusiest. They are more concerned with anything that just goes bang than anyhting else.

Will seems to be a decent guy to work for. He makes sure that his employees understand when he has his boss hat on but appears to maintain a personable relationship with them.

I think the show is far fetched and a little over the top but then again, I have a hard time watching Top Shot sometimes too.

• 3 months later...

This show is embarrassing. First we have a 1000 yd 7.62x39 (if they changed caliber they forgot to mention it) I guess a 1000 yd 30-30 is next. Then we have Arisaka ammo " thats really hard to find'. Guess they never heard of Graf & sons. Then i find out my RCBS bullet puller is "really dangerous" Then they download ammo for the Jap rifle. If you're a competent gunsmith, you should be able to determine if the rifle is safe to fire with standard ammo or not. There may be more but I shut it off at that point.