Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skipping a Texas star penalty?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, SHOOT IT.

My first time with the star, I hated the thing. I'd heard of it and was a little bit intimidated by it.

By the sedond or third time I encountered it, I thought "this is pretty cool."

Now, after having shot it six or eight times, I love it.

Don't stand there and waste three mags of ammo on the thing. If possible, plan your reloads so that you have a full mag when you start on the star (especially if you shoot Singlestack, Production, L10, or Revo :surprise: ). If the plates just won't fall for you, then move on, but at least give them a shot or three.

I always try to engage any target array that the stage designer throws at me. I don't try to game too much. It is there imagination agains my skill ??? I figure the worst thing that can happen is I have fun and something new to work on.

• 4 months later...

I'm new to the sport (2 months) and went to my first outdoor match a couple weeks ago. One of the stages had a Texas star at 25y that you had to engage kneeling through a barrel. I was a little intimidated of the star and distance and ended up leaving 2 plates standing. However, it was a blast and i'll do much better next time. Just go for it!

I love them. No different than shooting groups, just don't get ahead of yourself, top down.

I went to a shoot one time, and the guy doing the new shooter orientation told the new guys to start at the bottom. I told the new guy that was wrong and then went and hunted the guy that did the orientation down. I was subsequently asked not to come back, until another meeting with the guy running the shoot.

It takes a village.

WG :cheers:

I see a lot of intimidation with newer shooters about stars. I never got scared of them in the beginning, and therefore never had any issue with them, but I do remember all the talk about, "oooooo, the texas starrrrrr, ooooooo"

If this kind of thing gets in your head, you will have some degree of difficulty with it.

Aim, squeeze, aim, squeeze, aim, squeeze, aim, squeeze, aim, squeeze. you'll be finished, and likely hit most of the plates.

Don't skip it though! It's not like the plates are zigzagging or bouncing around or something, I mean, you know where they are going.

Like the little green master Jedi says, "Do, or do not"

My first Texas star was the 2008 TX Limited and first major match, first stage, was supposed to be first but got bailed out by Corina Randolph, she went first. It had a big weight on it, and you shot a popper that dropped the weight to get it spinning then a window opened. Every star since that one has been easier. I cleaned it with about 10 shots. I had them with no shoots in front, no shoots behind and out to 30 yards, blocked so you were leaning way out just to see it. So just step up and do your best.

I tell new shooters to start at the top work your way down and don't chase the plates just wait for them to stop and then squeeze the trigger... that being said, if you are shooting at the star and you run your gun dry, stop shooting... the extra time is going to kill you.

Good luck :cheers: Don't let the Texas Star get to you... it's almost all mental! :wacko:

stars are one of those targets that are intimadating as heck at first. Once you get used to them, shoot top down, an treat each plate like its paper calling your shot they are about as much fun as any target ive shot

just be happy they didn't throw this version of the star at you.

That's just evil.

O>O ok that would be bad... but ive seen them put 2 right in front of each other and the front one counts as no shoots

O>O ok that would be bad... but ive seen them put 2 right in front of each other and the front one counts as no shoots

Now that is evil. I like it. :cheers:

Edited by spanky

• 2 weeks later...

8 paper = 80 points

8 popers = 40 points

Total = 120

Two Texas stars not shot = -50

10 penalties for failure to engege = -50

So 120-100

So the maximum amount of points you can score skipping the stars is 20 out of 170.

Why don't you want to shoot texas stars? Isnt that what we pay for? Don't be afraid them. shoot the crap out of them and have fun :)

And when you slide lock like I did, just empty another magazine on it! It's only money! :cheers:

Never leave any potential points unless its going to cost you a ton of time doing it. My first few feeble attempts at a texas star when I first started out resulted in me dumping a few 10 rnd mags at it. Shoot it from the top down. Because I'm a blind mullet I close my weak side eye to force myself to really focus on getting a good sight picture with the plates with the limited gun. Thank God our club doesnt have those tiny 3 inch plates; I might have to swear off iron sights forever :roflol:

Edited by SIG shooter

When I first saw a video of a texas Star, I was totally intimidated. The first big match I ever shot at was atn the Gator in 2010, and I was nervous wreck when I saw the star. Now, it's not likie I was smoking every stage. I was having gun problems and head problems (not shooting targets, hidden and in the open). I just knew I would run out of ammo whith all five plates stil standing. Bang/miss, bang/hit, bang/hit, bang/hit, bang/hit, bang/hit. Hey, this thing was fun. The next time I encountered one, it didn't go so well, but man it was still fun. Shoot 'em!

Just SHOOT it!!!! Borrow extra mags if you have to. In the mean time you could practice hitting paper plates. Also if you ask real nice I bet after the match you could talk someone into R.O.ing for you to get some practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!