Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 1 - Episode 2

XRe

Brad,

Welcome to the BEnosverse! The show did a great job of making you look like a dick ( you may have helped a bit... ;) ). However, please understand that my comments (and hopefully those of others) are about you as a TV character and not about you as a USPSA shooter/friend/son/dad/etc. We have a very unusual situation with this show in that we can play armchair QBs to a TV show and the characters respond to the feedback. Awesome!

Like someone said you're one of us. We'll give you hell but you'll still be one of us. I'm sure we "keep" some that are worst, like Cliff... :sight:

Welcome again! :cheers:

Shoot good.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah I know how it is. If I was the one watching, then I'd be doing plenty of armchair QBing as well. I've become a firm proponent of the phrase "it is what it is." But feel free to dish out anything you guys feel, I won't take it personally, and the best I can respond with is some context. And thanks for the support Adam- you've been the (un)official Top Shot PR rep across the Internet!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backpacks?? C'mon. You know shooting people and their gear!! We really don't know what the challenge might bring so we try to prepare for every possibility. The show provides guns and ammo and squishy earplugs.

We pack sunscreen, cleats, gloves, hat, fleece (yes, it was cold in the morning), plus several pairs of shooting glasses, water, snacks, a notebook/pen, etc. That kind of stuff.

I was wondering what is up with the backpacks? History channel is providing the ammo and guns, what are the guys bringing to the challenge?

It would have been nice to have a little product placement here. Matching red and blue Shooters Connection range bags would have been a nice touch.

Backpacks?? C'mon. You know shooting people and their gear!! We really don't know what the challenge might bring so we try to prepare for every possibility. The show provides guns and ammo and squishy earplugs.

We pack sunscreen, cleats, gloves, hat, fleece (yes, it was cold in the morning), plus several pairs of shooting glasses, water, snacks, a notebook/pen, etc. That kind of stuff.

I thought it might have been for thier makeup :P

So far the show has been entertaining at best. Nowhere near what I thought it would be but did anybody but me notice the stupid sound overdubs? They used a Ruger 3 screw sound when they showed the 92 being thumbcocked. I hate shit like that! Ruins the mood.

So far the show has been entertaining at best. Nowhere near what I thought it would be but did anybody but me notice the stupid sound overdubs? They used a Ruger 3 screw sound when they showed the 92 being thumbcocked. I hate shit like that! Ruins the mood.

Good ear!

It would have been nice to have a little product placement here. Matching red and blue Shooters Connection range bags would have been a nice touch.

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder why none of the "big names" are prominent sponsors? About the most visible sponsor, so far, has been "Husqvarna"

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder why none of the "big names" are prominent sponsors? About the most visible sponsor, so far, has been "Husqvarna"

After seeing some of the other forum criticisms of the shooters, skill, format, weapons, drama and so forth, I think it was pretty smart to stay out of this first season. Potential gun company sponsors had no idea how the producers were going to clown this up anyway. But if there were big name sponsors, they would not like disparaging commments like what we had on the pistol challenge.

After watching both episodes I think that the help each other out “Team” strategy that is portrayed is opposite of what it really should be. If I was on that show I would be throwing people under the bus any chance I could get. There can only be one winner right? So the sooner you get people knocked out the better. Why would I help the “Team” win a challenge and miss out on a chance of eliminating the weak links?

Think of it from this perspective. In the first episode how do you know that Mike wasn’t missing on purpose to create a situation where he would be almost guaranteed to get voted off and be matched up with someone he knew he could have smoked in a face off challenge? If I was him and had his shooting skills, that’s exactly what I would have done. But instead of shooting long range rifle stuff against an Olympic level shooter (Kelly) he could have just as easy shot against Brad and then worked him like a rib in the man on man challenge.

Why avoid getting kicked off by winning the team challenge when you are competing in challenges that suits your skill? I would much rather face off against someone shooting something that I am proficient at versed getting forced into something later that I have little confidence in.

After watching both episodes I think that the help each other out “Team” strategy that is portrayed is opposite of what it really should be. If I was on that show I would be throwing people under the bus any chance I could get. There can only be one winner right? So the sooner you get people knocked out the better. Why would I help the “Team” win a challenge and miss out on a chance of eliminating the weak links?

Think of it from this perspective. In the first episode how do you know that Mike wasn’t missing on purpose to create a situation where he would be almost guaranteed to get voted off and be matched up with someone he knew he could have smoked in a face off challenge? If I was him and had his shooting skills, that’s exactly what I would have done. But instead of shooting long range rifle stuff against an Olympic level shooter (Kelly) he could have just as easy shot against Brad and then worked him like a rib in the man on man challenge.

Why avoid getting kicked off by winning the team challenge when you are competing in challenges that suits your skill? I would much rather face off against someone shooting something that I am proficient at versed getting forced into something later that I have little confidence in.

it bothered me that they were paired off against each other in a contest where the upper hand was way in Kelly's corner( when Mike was eliminated). I shoot IPSC and my brother was on a national rifle team back in 86'. I would kick my brothers ass in IPSC match or handgun usage,...whereas he would serve me in any long range rifle contest. They should use actual courses of fire from actual sports,...not made up stages. It is heavily leaning towards Bullseye type contests (IMHO) I like the use of the different firearms,...which I would like to see more of. BUT,...they should get to pick from a variety of firearms for contests where there is handgun shooting. Would not be fun to show up to a National, state, provincial, or Area championship and use a gun you are not used to.....

Edited by Mo Hepworth

it bothered me that they did were paired off against each other in a contest where the upper hand was way in Kelly's corner( when Mike was eliminated). I shoot IPSC and my brother was on a national rifle team back in 86'. I would kick my brothers ass in IPSC or handgun usage,...whereas he would serve me in any long range rifle contest. They should use actual courses of fire from actual sports,...not made up stages. It is heavily leaning towards Bullseye type contests (IMHO) I like the use of the different firearms,...which I would like to see more of. BUT,...they should get to pick from a variety of firearms for contests where there is handgun shooting. Would not be fun to show up to a National, state, provincial, or Area championship and use a gun you are not used to.....

thats kinda the point of the show tho. to see not who is good with a weapon of their choice but to see who is the "Top Shot" with anything they pick up. as for the rifle challenge in episode 1, it was a rifle team event so it made sense that a rifle would be used in the elimination matchup. Mike posted he wished he could do it again and not shoot against one of the top long range shooters in the game today, haha.

There ya go, Cha-Lee. Truer "Survivor" philosophy we have yet to hear, here. :D

I guess there's still the perspective of the team coming first. That'll change, once one team, or most of one team is eliminated. Then comes the realization that it'll be every man/woman for him/herself. :sight:

I guess there aren't to many folks who are that conniving on the show, at least not the ones we know. Too honorable, too much self respect. Wanting to compete against the best to measure yourself against them, win or lose, not simply to win at any cost, is a philosophy we know well here. Maybe it's counterproductive in a winner takes all elimination venue that also has a huge element of random luck mixed in, but we'll see if talent and an honorable ethic can prevail. :cheers:

Cha-Leee, if there's one thing I've learned from watching reality TV with my wife, it's that the guy that tosses his teammates under the bus is generally ganged up on and eliminated.

Top Shot's a little different, because you'd have to be pretty smart to predict the elimination challenge in such a way that you know for a fact you'd have an advantage. Just look at the first challenge for example. At 50-100 yards with, say an M14 Mike might have beaten Kelly because Mike's faster in that kind of environment. But instead, the challenge was .308 rifles at 600 yards. Mike had no way of predicting that.

it bothered me that they did were paired off against each other in a contest where the upper hand was way in Kelly's corner( when Mike was eliminated). I shoot IPSC and my brother was on a national rifle team back in 86'. I would kick my brothers ass in IPSC or handgun usage,...whereas he would serve me in any long range rifle contest. They should use actual courses of fire from actual sports,...not made up stages. It is heavily leaning towards Bullseye type contests (IMHO) I like the use of the different firearms,...which I would like to see more of. BUT,...they should get to pick from a variety of firearms for contests where there is handgun shooting. Would not be fun to show up to a National, state, provincial, or Area championship and use a gun you are not used to.....

Why would they NOT have an elimination challenge that was related to the team challenge?

Why would I help the "Team" win a challenge and miss out on a chance of eliminating the weak links?

Your strategy put YOU at risk. If your team wins, you have zero risk of being eliminated.

You kinda saw that play out in Episode 2. If you had been on Red team, you were down a top pistol shooter from losing Mike in Episode 1. The Red team had less depth/diversity.

Plus, if you are a pistol shooter (like we saw here), the expectations on you now rise with the pistol challenge. So, you could easily find yourself in jeopardy (like we saw here).

It's only been two episodes and they've already used rifles and handguns.

What kind of strange weapons will we see in the coming weeks. :surprise:

its a team long-bow challenge in episode 3, and i think somebody said a crossbow challenge shooting apples liek william tell.

I see tomahawks, blowguns and I'll bet shotgunning of some kind in the future episodes. Towards the end I'd like to see a 50 BMG long range shoot. I would also like to see towards the end, a demonstration of what the shooters are known for. At least some footage of their competitions if there are any.

I'll bet a pop that the winner is not a "PRO" shooter. Just my gut feeling.

It's only been two episodes and they've already used rifles and handguns.

What kind of strange weapons will we see in the coming weeks. surprise.gif

I'm afraid all the good stuff is over, as far is I'm concerned (time will tell.) When they break out the long bows, throwing knives and sling shots, I'll be watching something else.