Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 1 - Episode 2

XRe

I liked Matt's comment when he said, "I don't know, but that's your target size now!"

I agree. That exchange said a lot about both of them. It should never matter what size your target is.

+1 Always high entertainment value watching MB teach with his brutally honest dry humor. Lol!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another funny thing to watch is Colby with his hands ALWAYS on his hips. Watch carefully as the teams walk up to the first Beretta practice. On a predetermined signal, ALL of Blue Team go 'Hands-On-Hips" in our best Colby immitation. We were cracking up so much, he had to ask a producer later what the heck was wrong with us. :roflol:

We all got a long pretty darn well, and Frank was the favorite of both teams. We were all really say to see him go. But he took it like a man, with a great sense of humor to the very end.

As he got on the zip line for his final run, Colby asked if he was ready. Frank answered, "Yeah I'm ready pretty boy, how 'bout you??" Hysterical !!!!

So I figured I'd be getting lit up online this morning, some of which is deserved, but I thought I'd give my impressions to what went down with the Beretta challenge. And yes, I did look like a total dick.

First off in regards to my Glock fanboydom, I can say that it's partially true. At that point I could think of a bunch of possibilities that would be considered more representative of a modern handgun (2011 to striker fired polymer). I didn't mean to speak ill of the Beretta in its entirety though, even for USPSA. Hell, Ben can still kick my ass with one! Everyone is correct in that it's all about the shooter behind the equipment. That being said, even though I'll be shooting my Glock in Area 1, I'm actually probably switching to CZ because I have small hands and it simply fits them better. The Glock sits at an angle off the web of my hand because the frame is large (and in Cali, we can't buy the Gen4).

As far as that particular gun was concerned, I really did think that it was shooting to the right. I could have been wrong, but Bill and I keyholed a 1 inch group when we first shot it to dial it in. Now again, it's an unfamiliar gun to me, and I could have just been consistently pushing the shots over there. However, out of the 20 rounds I got, I had to shoot some fast because I had no idea what the challenge would be like. (IPSC course vs accuracy?) I had a pretty good idea of where it was shooting for me, but I'm very compulsive about these things (especially on national TV, where I'm supposed to be a pistol expert) and was worried about not being sure of its point of impact. On the first shot, I aimed at the left edge of the target and clipped the wood on the right. On my second shot, I aimed 1.5 inches off to the left and drilled it. Bill missed his next shot right, and I told him where to aim, and he delivered.

As with what happened with Mike, it's our responsibility as competitors to account for our equipment. Regardless of why it was shooting right for me (and I think it there's still a good chance it was my fault), I knew where it was grouping and should have hit the target on the first hit. That being said, in retrospect, it was wrong for me to start bitching about the gun. I was just worried about missing and looking like an idiot in front of 4 million people. (Both of which I did anyways) Although some things, like the comment about the sights being worn, were in response to a question by another competitor about if the gun for the elimination and the team challenge were the same. The elimination gun was different, which I could tell because it had newer sights.

Per the elimination challenge, Ben Stoeger is correct (as he's mentioned on other forums), I should have hit more targets. The first run was a blur, but the second run I should have done much better. (They removed the closest two targets which gave us fewer scoring opportunities.) Out of the gate, I drilled three for three. However, I got hung up dropping two rounds at the bonus target on the left because I thought I was way ahead. The zipline went faster than expected, and I had to rush to catch up on the right. I was stupid (as I said on the show) and should have just cleaned the right side when I had time. I honestly thought Frank was going to beat me after that run.

I want to clarify one more thing. I have the utmost respect for the experts in my sport, like Ben and Matt. You can see their scores in comparison to mine, I don't need to explain that they're better than me at this game. I'm actually a fresh GM (which I got pretty much by accident at two consecutive matches by good classifier runs in the end of 2009) and have yet to really perform at that level after having only done USPSA for 3 years. I've been training hard to live up to the title. As a matter of fact, some of the advice Matt gave me on the show has led me to change my entire shooting mechanics. (See my shoulder hunch and head movement) There's a lot of progress to be made in a lot of capacities, but we'll see how it goes.

And by the way, the Brad vs. Door video was hilarious!

I have seen it posted on other forums that the shots for the challenge were easy. They were not. You essentially had to fire a perfect shot to hit the smaller tubes.

I realize that that people watching the show might think its candyass to have to hit those small tubes. It was a tough shot, seriously. I was VERY nervous to have to make hits on the tubes in front of the crew of the show (this was the high speed footage you guys saw). It would have been much worse to need to do it as a competitor.

I think the problem with the editing of this episode was they focused to much on "Brad is a whiner" and not at all on "Bill is a jerk". Maybe next week.

So I figured I'd be getting lit up online this morning, some of which is deserved, but I thought I'd give my impressions to what went down with the Beretta challenge. And yes, I did look like a total dick.

First off in regards to my Glock fanboydom, I can say that it's partially true. At that point I could think of a bunch of possibilities that would be considered more representative of a modern handgun (2011 to striker fired polymer). I didn't mean to speak ill of the Beretta in its entirety though, even for USPSA. Hell, Ben can still kick my ass with one! Everyone is correct in that it's all about the shooter behind the equipment. That being said, even though I'll be shooting my Glock in Area 1, I'm actually probably switching to CZ because I have small hands and it simply fits them better. The Glock sits at an angle off the web of my hand because the frame is large (and in Cali, we can't buy the Gen4).

As far as that particular gun was concerned, I really did think that it was shooting to the right. I could have been wrong, but Bill and I keyholed a 1 inch group when we first shot it to dial it in. Now again, it's an unfamiliar gun to me, and I could have just been consistently pushing the shots over there. However, out of the 20 rounds I got, I had to shoot some fast because I had no idea what the challenge would be like. (IPSC course vs accuracy?) I had a pretty good idea of where it was shooting for me, but I'm very compulsive about these things (especially on national TV, where I'm supposed to be a pistol expert) and was worried about not being sure of its point of impact. On the first shot, I aimed at the left edge of the target and clipped the wood on the right. On my second shot, I aimed 1.5 inches off to the left and drilled it. Bill missed his next shot right, and I told him where to aim, and he delivered.

As with what happened with Mike, it's our responsibility as competitors to account for our equipment. Regardless of why it was shooting right for me (and I think it there's still a good chance it was my fault), I knew where it was grouping and should have hit the target on the first hit. That being said, in retrospect, it was wrong for me to start bitching about the gun. I was just worried about missing and looking like an idiot in front of 4 million people. (Both of which I did anyways) Although some things, like the comment about the sights being worn, were in response to a question by another competitor about if the gun for the elimination and the team challenge were the same. The elimination gun was different, which I could tell because it had newer sights.

Per the elimination challenge, Ben Stoeger is correct (as he's mentioned on other forums), I should have hit more targets. The first run was a blur, but the second run I should have done much better. (They removed the closest two targets which gave us fewer scoring opportunities.) Out of the gate, I drilled three for three. However, I got hung up dropping two rounds at the bonus target on the left because I thought I was way ahead. The zipline went faster than expected, and I had to rush to catch up on the right. I was stupid (as I said on the show) and should have just cleaned the right side when I had time. I honestly thought Frank was going to beat me after that run.

I want to clarify one more thing. I have the utmost respect for the experts in my sport, like Ben and Matt. You can see their scores in comparison to mine, I don't need to explain that they're better than me at this game. I'm actually a fresh GM (which I got pretty much by accident at two consecutive matches by good classifier runs in the end of 2009) and have yet to really perform at that level after having only done USPSA for 3 years. I've been training hard to live up to the title. As a matter of fact, some of the advice Matt gave me on the show has led me to change my entire shooting mechanics. (See my shoulder hunch and head movement) There's a lot of progress to be made in a lot of capacities, but we'll see how it goes.

And by the way, the Brad vs. Door video was hilarious!

Welcome to BE Forums, Brad!

No worries - you're "one of ours", and I'm glad you're still in the hunt. I'm sure the producers could make a "bad guy" out of just about anyone with the cameras rolling all day and the right editing.

I love all the comments about "so and so is a jerk" based on 10 minutes of footage from a "reality" tv show. If cameras followed me around 24x7 filming everything I did in a day, the producers could cut and paste that to make a 5-10 minute montage to make me out to be anything they wanted to. For example, last week the show made a guy that we all know can shoot look like he couldn't hit the bottom of his holster.

This week they made Brad out to be a bad guy because he made a comment or two about how the Beretta doesn't fit him well and showed him taking "extra" practice rounds. If I could shoot well enough to get on the show you would have been able to see me making comments about how I prefer the grip of my custom built SV to the Beretta and I would have looked like even more of a prima dona than Brad did. Oh, and not knowing what the challenge would be and with $100K on the line I might get tempted to take a couple extra practice shots too.

Brad may well be a jerk, but I don't know him and I'm not a teenage girl so I'm not going to form my opinion on that based on this show.

It's entertainment, with (some) shooting. Looks, from the previews and the competitor bios on the website, that there might be less shooting of the type we here are expecting, and more with other weapons. I've seen throwing axes, slingshots and bows. How even a multigun GM will do with such remains to be seen.

It's reality show entertainment, emphasis on entertainment. Part of the "reality" show formula is getting you to root for some and against others. No drama, though, if you don't have somebody as the bad guy. Brad seems to be the one this week. I shoot with him, and he is not the jerk he is being set up to be. A little editing of comments removed from context (and that includes other folks' body language and reactions) goes a long way to making somebody either a hero or goat.

I love all the comments about "so and so is a jerk" based on 10 minutes of footage from a "reality" tv show. If cameras followed me around 24x7 filming everything I did in a day, the producers could cut and paste that to make a 5-10 minute montage to make me out to be anything they wanted to. For example, last week the show made a guy that we all know can shoot look like he couldn't hit the bottom of his holster.

This week they made Brad out to be a bad guy because he made a comment or two about how the Beretta doesn't fit him well and showed him taking "extra" practice rounds. If I could shoot well enough to get on the show you would have been able to see me making comments about how I prefer the grip of my custom built SV to the Beretta and I would have looked like even more of a prima dona than Brad did. Oh, and not knowing what the challenge would be and with $100K on the line I might get tempted to take a couple extra practice shots too.

Brad may well be a jerk, but I don't know him and I'm not a teenage girl so I'm not going to form my opinion on that based on this show.

The comments reflect the persona of the TV "character" as depicted by his own unscripted words and the words/opinions of his fellow competitors.

The comments reflect the persona of the TV "character" as depicted by his own unscripted words and the words/opinions of his fellow competitors.

So are you a teenaged girl? :unsure:

The show is fun..afterall it is TV and while a reality show, it isn't

Brad and everyone..hats off to you guys, hope it was fun. You guys will get a lot of scrutiny, but I hope you know most of it, is because we are all just jealous. :sight:

I don't think Brad came off too badly. Glock shooters are used to glock grips. The people who don't shoot don't understand just how different that grip is, and when you've been shooting Glocks for years, you get used to that grip. Then when you suddenly have to shoot something else, it'll take a little time to get used to it.

I shoot a CZ...not particularly well, but hey, I'm learning. But it's all I practice with and use. And to go to a glock with that grip angle, I probably would have some issues dialing it in myself.

Creative editing can make anyone seem like a dick.

The "Tube" shots are definately harder than they look. Its not just HITTING a quarter, its shooting THROUGH a tube !! One shot... with a million people watching, and perhaps a $100,000 hanging in the balance.

And as fellow shooters I hope you all try it, but please make it a fair comparison.

FIRST - Don't just shoot at a quarter or paster. Hang a paper towel (or T.P.) tube at 25 feet and block the back with a piece of paper. Then BORROW a buddies gun instead of using your own. A box stock gun. No fancy trigger jobs allowed !!! Finally, have all your friends stand behind you and watch. And then take JUST ONE shot. :goof:

PS - if you knock the tube off the stand, that does NOT count at a HIT.

Edited by BamBam

I don't think Brad came off too badly. Glock shooters are used to glock grips. The people who don't shoot don't understand just how different that grip is, and when you've been shooting Glocks for years, you get used to that grip. Then when you suddenly have to shoot something else, it'll take a little time to get used to it.

I shoot a CZ...not particularly well, but hey, I'm learning. But it's all I practice with and use. And to go to a glock with that grip angle, I probably would have some issues dialing it in myself.

Creative editing can make anyone seem like a dick.

I'm shooting my Old .45 for the RM3G,,, and not my G-35 no point shooting,, it,, the angle is very different,, I have to think to aim every shot,, it will be interesting, for the next month or so getting used to it again,,

jim M ammo

The "Tube" shots are definately harder than they look. Its not just HITTING a quarter, its shooting THROUGH a tube !! One shot... with a million people watching, and perhaps a $100,000 hanging in the balance.

And as fellow shooters I hope you all try it, but please make it a fair comparison.

FIRST - Don't just shoot at a quarter or paster. Hang a paper towel (or T.P.) tube at 25 feet and block the back with a piece of paper. Then BORROW a buddies gun instead of using your own. A box stock gun. No fancy trigger jobs allowed !!! Finally, have all your friends stand behind you and watch. And then take JUST ONE shot. :goof:

PS - if you knock the tube off the stand, that does NOT count at a HIT.

I know I could do that with my gun and no pressure. In that scenario... it would be... well embarrassing for sure. I am anal about sighting my gun in prefectly. If the gun wasn't sighted in to my liking- that and the foreign trigger would have me all F'd up. I think that would be a good drill to try at a practice- just make everyone grab someone else's gun!