Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 1 - Episode 2

XRe

The cast shooters can't discuss ANYTHING until it first airs on TV. So in regards to all of the questions about what might happen or what could possibly happen down the road... just hold on until after you see it. If it looks unbelievable, perhaps it is. Stay tuned.... :devil:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started watching the show because of Seeklander. From the get-go, I didn't like the "reality" format (I don't watch those shows). They made Mike look like an asshat on the first episode, and I even mentioned on another forum that Brad was made out to be a douche on the second episode. On the other forum, I did make fun of him for the comment on the commercial for the third episode (about the "I'm a blah blah and they got me shooting a bow and arrow").

But the way these people can edit comments and take them out of context, it's not surprising.

Having said that, I can say that so far, I'm not a fan of Andre. Andre, are you on here? Are you anything like they make you out to be? Other celebs on here, is he like they make him out to be?

I know it could be another out of context thing, but he seems like he's definitely gaming and talking the stuff.

just my .02

The show is enjoyable, and I like the way they are trying to expose "competition" (and I use the term loosely) shooting to the masses. I just wish that they portrayed these guys more honestly. I can't imagine that any of them are prima donna's.

Can't wait for the robin hood episode. :)

I can't wait to use Frank's line at the next match when the SO says:

"Shooter Ready?"

"Yeah I'm ready pretty boy, how 'bout you"

DO you think I'll get DQ'd for attitude?

Would be cool if all started replying with Frank's line to SOs/ROs.

It was a crossover type race that was a mixture of on and off road racing. You had motocrossers vs road racers vs Enduro racers vs Flattrack racers vs Hare scramble racers, etc. IIRC it got good ratings at the time. What made it great is that you actually had current and former World/National Champions from different disciplines competing in it. At the time it was groundbreaking. I've lost touch of motorcycle racing, but a friend of mine told me that the SuperMoto is still being raced today, although as its own separate sport with new generation racers training/practicing specifically for SuperMoto.

How cool would it be if this happened for shooting? Uniting the shooting community in competition, birth of a new shooting sport. Positive exposure for firearms...

Sportsman's Team Challenge, 3Gun

I'm enjoying the show probably more because I watch it with my son and he's really into it. He thinks it the neatest thing that some of the guys he sees on the show are posting on here.

C'mon now.... Brad is one of us. I think we owe him the benefit of the doubt and assume that creative editing has turned him into a character.

Time Magazine

Technology Industry

Variety

Do you all get it yet?

A TV character it is. I am squadded with him at Area 1 next week. I have shot alot of matches with him. Oh, he knows he's gonna get some jokes from me thrown his way. It will be intersting if people recognize him.

I'm just glad to see all of the USPSA shooters involved in the show, great publicity for the sport.

I just got involved last year and love it.

Now my kids are watching the show and I'm hoping to have some Junior shooters in the future.

:cheers:

The show was quite fun to do! Would have popped in here earlier, but, have done 2500 miles in the last week and a half driving. The part I loved the best was filming and seeing the instant results from the high speed camera they rented for the production. I have to get me one of those!

Anyhow, if anyone has any questions about the show drop them here or shoot me an email.

Take care,

Matt Burkett

I wished they would have shown the zip line runs un-edited. The high speed shots are neat, but it wasn't possible to get a real idea of how the challenge went since the shots were so cut up.

It looks like you only get one mag and Brad was firing multiple rounds at the targtes, so he spent the second half of the course just riding in a chair (on the first run.)

Maybe the DVD will have uncut footage of the runs.

Kinda stumbled on this forum while looking up info on Top Shot, saw a couple guys from the show posted here and had a few questions if you don't mind.

1. How did you hear about the casting call? Where you contacted or did you just hear about it and send in an audition tape?

2. The show is billed as "America's greatest marksmen attempting history's greatest shots", but there's practically no history involved in the challenges thus far. Can you shed any light on that?

3. Why wasn't Rob Leatham on the show? He's really good on camera and is also and excellent marksmen. (plus Springfield makes the best pistols. ;) )

I heard about the casting call in an email distributed to USPSA members (and all over the internet forums including here!) and sent in a short bio and photos. They called me back and asked for a 5 minute audition video, and pages of shooting experience background, etc.

The show IS 'America's greatest marksmen' (who applied, were willing to sign the onerous contract, and pass background test, shooting skills test, etc.) The show does attempt to acknowledge history in that we use great weapons throughout history in our competitions. But for actual duplication of famous historical shots, they already have the show "Extreme Marksman" and "Impossible shots". The goal here is to take 16 top [all-around] marksmen and challenge them in both teams and individually using important weapons of history. And its only the first season, and a very BOLD adventure for "History" with limited first-run budget, so give them a bit of slack. Be happy its a major network, and that these guys are big supporters of what we all love to do. :cheers:

Why wasn't Rob Leatham (et al] on the show? The application form said it was going to be physical, and the Seal guy wanted it to be faaaar more physically demanging than what you saw so far. And I think Rob has bad knees. And maybe some of the other big names were not able/willing to sign off on the television contract with big restrictions. And maybe there were some big names who applied and did not make the cut for various reasons. In the end, this train has left that station and we (for better or worse) are the passengers. Pick a favorite, cross your fingers, and hold on for a wild ride ~!!

I think we can talk about episodes and content after they air it... so for now I can say I didn't see as much tension in the house as I am seeing on the show, but probably because I can't be in as many places as the cameras. Everything you see is real if we are there saying it. Right? The power of editing is simply to focus more on one person than another, even though both may be doing the same thing.

Watching the show, I didn't realize Andre was that fired up. He seemed pretty quiet to me and a guy who kept his feelings to himself. But I am Blue Team and he may not have wanted to share Red discontent. But any time we actually talked, Andre and I got along just fine... when Blake did his Colby immitation skit, Andre was front and center in the role of the Seal Expert. There were times through it all that we all shot together and laughed together. Other times it was game on!!

And yes Bill really did get furious with Kelly. Not sure if he was just looking for a reason, or if he really stayed emotionally close to his "ex"... but Bill had a position on that issue (and ALL issues) and wasn't shy about saying it. If he and Kelly were going "Hatfield and McCoy" then that is fine, too. Its a competition show and we are competing for a single #1 slot. As Pete famously said in the first episode, "if you want to make omelettes you've got to break a few eggs" !!!

[... and I think that brings us into the Episode #3 thread]

Edited by BamBam

I'm an adjunct instructor for Chris Cirino. He's one of best I've ever met but I would just like to say that to this day he has never beaten me in a shoot off. :cheers:

Other than watching Chris I find the "ultimate shooter" barely watchable.

Edited by John Thompson

• 3 weeks later...

I wished they would have shown the zip line runs un-edited. The high speed shots are neat, but it wasn't possible to get a real idea of how the challenge went since the shots were so cut up.

+100! The most irritating thing about the show is the editing of the actual challenges. Zoom to target, switch to shooter's expression, slo-mo video of round exiting the muzzle, pan to crowd . . . after they showed one of the zip line runs, I thought he only got two hits but it turned out to be five. The fancy stuff is entertaining, but I really wish they'd run the video one time, straight through, so we can see what really happened.

On another subject, someone mentioned how good a teacher Matt Burkett is. It reminded me of a time when I was squadded with him at Space City Challenge. This was definitely not the super squad - I'm just a C-Class weekend warrior. The stage included some initial targets, and some more after opening a door. During the walkthru I was trying to figure out how to run it, and Matt came up to me and asked me if I wanted any advice. Are you kidding me? Do I want coaching from the guy who made the training videos? That showed what kind of guy Matt is. I'm proud of all our USPSA guys on the show, regardless of editing.

Sean

• 4 weeks later...