Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Barrels

Precision40

1 hour ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I have shot a lot of tungsten limited guns.  They are very soft and the sites track well.  

The whole point behind tungsten is you are removing reciprocating mass from the slide and adding stationary weight.  

uuuuhhhh....... The barrel has nothing to do with the slide weight. Switching from a standard steel Bull barrel to a Tungsten sleeved Bull barrel does nothing to change the slide weight. All it does as add MORE non-reciprocating weight to the gun. Virtually the same thing as swapping a steel guide rod with a tungsten version or using a long dust cover frame verses a short dust cover. You can add weight to the barrel in an expensive manner, such as a tungsten sleeve. Or you can add weight to the frame in different ways which are usually much cheaper and easily installed. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Just shoot mine at the next match... again. In May, as I will be a Berry's Steel the weekend after next. 

Man, I would hate to burn through some of that expensive 38 Super ammo. How about we go out for a practice session some time, and if I buy you some new brass we call it fair for shooting and dirtying up your gun? I'd hate to be the reason you lose a few pieces of that stuff at the same time lol. 

1 hour ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I have shot a lot of tungsten limited guns.  They are very soft and the sites track well.  

The whole point behind tungsten is you are removing reciprocating mass from the slide and adding stationary weight.  

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking. My current gun (CZ TSO) is already pretty heavy  and flat as it is compared to some other limited guns I see people shooting, but I can only imagine how much flatter it would be with a few more ounces on it and especially toward the front instead of primarily coming from the slide.

Edited by tacomandood

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

uuuuhhhh....... The barrel has nothing to do with the slide weight. Switching from a standard steel Bull barrel to a Tungsten sleeved Bull barrel does nothing to change the slide weight. All it does as add MORE non-reciprocating weight to the gun. Virtually the same thing as swapping a steel guide rod with a tungsten version or using a long dust cover frame verses a short dust cover. You can add weight to the barrel in an expensive manner, such as a tungsten sleeve. Or you can add weight to the frame in different ways which are usually much cheaper and easily installed. 

The barrel has nothing to do with the slide weight, correct,  but barrel weight does affect the initial slide movement, a heavier barrel will add to the weight of the slide+barrel assembly that the recoil impulse drives rearward to cycle the gun before the barrel unlocks and stops.

A heavy barrel will have a lower slide velocity for any given recoil and mainspring firing pin stop combination vs a lighter barrel in a slide of equal weight, this will change the feel of how the pistol cycles and may allow for the use of a lighter main or recoil spring. Lots of variables at play but barrel weight is for sure a component in how the pistol feels in the end.

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Incorrect.  When you are opening up the hole in the slide from .694 to .750 it takes just shy of one oz out of the slide.  My open gun slides come it at 8.5 oz

I don't know if that is how Johnny is doing it but it makes a noticeable difference the way we are.  

34 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

The barrel has nothing to do with the slide weight, correct,  but barrel weight does affect the initial slide movement, a heavier barrel will add to the weight of the slide+barrel assembly that the recoil impulse drives rearward to cycle the gun before the barrel unlocks and stops.

A heavy barrel will have a lower slide velocity for any given recoil and mainspring firing pin stop combination vs a lighter barrel in a slide of equal weight, this will change the feel of how the pistol cycles and may allow for the use of a lighter main or recoil spring. Lots of variables at play but barrel weight is for sure a component in how the pistol feels in the end.

Very true.  The weight alone has major effect on how the barrel unlocks and locks

4 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Man, I would hate to burn through some of that expensive 38 Super ammo. How about we go out for a practice session some time, and if I buy you some new brass we call it fair for shooting and dirtying up your gun? I'd hate to be the reason you lose a few pieces of that stuff at the same time lol. 

Dude, don't worry. The ammo is not expensive at all, about $0.11 per shot. I would not accept you buying me brass since I would just bend over and pick it up. You know?

Fair enough. We'll have to talk about it some more. I'm maybe considering just starting with like a Czechmate at this point too. I figure its a cheap(er) way to try shooting Open, I already have all the reloading stuff for it, and some of the stuff from my TSO would work on the same gun. Then, if I decide to stick with it, I'll go all out on a Limcat lol. I’m still pretty new to the game, so it’s incredibly difficult to justify a $7000 purchase when I haven’t even been shooting for more than a few months lol.

Edited by tacomandood

My FLG agrees with MikeBurgess.  Since the barrel moves A LITTLE, it affects the recoil.

Jim Clark said that when the interest in .38 Super Major came up, he wished he had back the "fat barrel" .38 Supers he had converted to .38 Special.

Otherwise, you could save money by just hanging a bar of pig iron on your accessory rail... like some of the Glock shooters do. 

14 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Incorrect.  When you are opening up the hole in the slide from .694 to .750 it takes just shy of one oz out of the slide.  My open gun slides come it at 8.5 oz

I don't know if that is how Johnny is doing it but it makes a noticeable difference the way we are.  

You go from generically talking about Tungsten sleeved barrel weight to custom builds where Akai hogs out the slide to put a larger diameter barrel in there. That is not even a fair comparison. When this thread was revived the poster was talking about getting a LIMCAT tungsten sleeved barrel over a standard bull barrel. If you don't know exactly how they are doing that (removing slight weight or not) then what is the point of your comments on slide lightening? If we are comparing apples to apples where the weight is ONLY added to the barrel by doing a tungsten sleeve, then there will NOT be slide lightening. 

The fact of the matter is that 95% of shooters would NOT be able to feel a specific difference between adding more weight to the barrel vs guide rod vs frame vs magwell. This is especially true when the buzzer goes off for a stage run and they go ape s#!t crazy. The average shooter literally can't feel a 10 Power Factor difference in ammo once the buzzer goes off due to being so adrenaline jacked. Adding a few ounces of weight to a barrel or not changes the felt recoil much less than a 10 Power Factor swing, especially at Major PF.

Most gun builders charge $1000 or more to do a tungsten sleeve barrel job. To me that is a crazy amount of money to pay for a "weight adding feature" that can be achieved in much more economical ways.

18 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Most gun builders charge $1000 or more to do a tungsten sleeve barrel job. To me that is a crazy amount of money to pay for a "weight adding feature" that can be achieved in much more economical ways.

But I see guys running around ranges with the gunsmith’s name all over their shirts, and they are running one of these...

I just have a boring steel barrel. I’ll never get chicks with this thing.

I have to have it! I don’t care if I need it. The Jones’s have it (even if they recieved it for free) and I must keep up! ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

You go from generically talking about Tungsten sleeved barrel weight to custom builds where Akai hogs out the slide to put a larger diameter barrel in there. That is not even a fair comparison. When this thread was revived the poster was talking about getting a LIMCAT tungsten sleeved barrel over a standard bull barrel. If you don't know exactly how they are doing that (removing slight weight or not) then what is the point of your comments on slide lightening? If we are comparing apples to apples where the weight is ONLY added to the barrel by doing a tungsten sleeve, then there will NOT be slide lightening. 

The fact of the matter is that 95% of shooters would NOT be able to feel a specific difference between adding more weight to the barrel vs guide rod vs frame vs magwell. This is especially true when the buzzer goes off for a stage run and they go ape s#!t crazy. The average shooter literally can't feel a 10 Power Factor difference in ammo once the buzzer goes off due to being so adrenaline jacked. Adding a few ounces of weight to a barrel or not changes the felt recoil much less than a 10 Power Factor swing, especially at Major PF.

I think that it would helpful for those people advocating for the sleeved barrels to tell us if they are sponsored shooters. #I pay for my own s#!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I bet next you're going to advocate using $1000 to buy ammo or attend a class. That's a slippery slope that leads to saying the picture of the new tungsten barrel on "tha 'gram" wont net you tens of likes and women throwing themselves at your glorious, now stronger for carrying the tungsten weighted pistol, feet. Tungsten sleeve barrels are a waste of money.

I think CHA-Lee says something similar to this but if you want to get better go put in hard work. 3rd place in Limited Nationals last year was a $1200 pistol. 

5 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Please point out where I said anything about "generic" tungsten barrels.  I said in my post my Akia guns.  I also said in a subsequent post that I don't know if that is how limcat does theirs. 

You on the other had painted with a broad brush and we know how that works.  

1 hour ago, yigal said:

M.B.that's correct .

but sight block design much cheaper than tungsten barrel sleeve and has the same result.

Correct, sight blocks are a easy way to add weight.

My open gun has a cone comp but the comp is huge, my friends with bull or island barrels and Ti comps ask me why I don't cut down my dumb looking long comp, I tell them because for half the price I got a barrel and comp that weighs the same as theirs. 

21 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

My open gun has a cone comp but the comp is huge, my friends with bull or island barrels and Ti comps ask me why I don't cut down my dumb looking long comp, I tell them because for half the price I got a barrel and comp that weighs the same as theirs. 

tell them that your gun  have  more metal for same price .😀

34 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

That is 2 completely different feeling guns. 

One not necessarily better than the other, but drastic handling characteristics. 

Personally prefer bull/hybrid w/ti comp vs a big weight at the end. 

20 minutes ago, echotango said:

That is 2 completely different feeling guns. 

One not necessarily better than the other, but drastic handling characteristics. 

Personally prefer bull/hybrid w/ti comp vs a big weight at the end. 

oddly Center of gravity on my gun and my friends hybrid Ti is within 1/8" of the same place, but yes weight distribution changes the handling characteristics noticeably. 

Oof, thread turned into a circle jerk again. To be honest, we’re all adults and can spend our money however we want so who tf cares if some dude wants to spend $1000+ to have a heavy barrel and a t-shirt that says it? Lol.

Thats like making fun of someone for buying a Ferrari when he could’ve just bought a Honda because “they both drove 10,000 miles just the same”. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by tacomandood

On 3/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, MikeBurgess said:

A lot of info here. Also tight slide to frame fit is a factor also.

2 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Oof, thread turned into a circle jerk again. To be honest, we’re all adults and can spend our money however we want so who tf cares if some dude wants to spend $1000+ to have a heavy barrel and a t-shirt that says it? Lol.

Thats like making fun of someone for buying a Ferrari when he could’ve just bought a Honda because “they both drove 10,000 miles just the same”. 🤦‍♂️

yes. but with Honda u can drive 10,000 miles without any problems .and with Ferrari u can do this after few visits to service center.😉

really if i could order "Akia"  5.4" 😀limited gun with tungsten sleeved barrel  that was my choice. and replace this diamond made  barrels every 10k.😀

I pay for my own guns and have shot all types of 2011 platforms and brands. When I shot my first Limcat that was Hbar immediately I could feel a difference. A noticeable difference! That’s all I will shoot from now on for limited and open. To each his own but the feel of a heavy tungsten sleeved gun is amazing. 

Edited by Posvar

• 2 years later...