Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Barrels

Precision40

I did a search and didn't come up with much, but Limcats website says the tungsten/stainless barrels are 2.5 oz. heavier than a factory bull barrel, does that make alot of difference at 170pf? (Using 180grn .40)

For those who have one, is recoil really reduced that much to justify the cost?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a STI .40 with Johnny's tungsten sleeved barrel and LOVE it! The felt recoil is extremely light - so much so that I can and do shoot this gun with NO pain in my wrists/elbows.

It does, however, also have the recoilmaster in it, and the two together make this one flat shooting gun!

my next gun will have an aet barrel. The trend is when you are used to recoil, you should loose more wt on the gun so that your transitions will be faster.

In the uspsa I think you only need 165 pf to be major. IPSC still demands 170 pf. so recoil is not heavy

I like mine a lot, the reduction in recoil is akin to the difference between a bull and a bushing barrel ( maybe more).

But then with the trend going to light guns maybe we will see bushing barreled limiteds with lightened slides soon.

James

BTW, what is the optimum weight for a limited gun 2011 in .40cal?. I dont have much experience in limited - I have been shooting my Glock and like it very much and I dont have to worry about the weight there.

I am just moving to a limited gun (so I can shoot both, I dont intend to let my G17!). I have been reading alot about the lighter guns and dont know what to look for in terms of weight, any advice will be appreciated.

sg, IMHO, this is a pretty subjective area. Gun weight is probably as much shooter style and preference as anything. Back about '96 I bought a long dustcover S_I frame and built a heavy barreled .40. In 2000, I realized during practice that I was a bit quicker, and just as accurate with my stock 1911 in .45. This seemed all wrong at the time, because it was contrary to everything I thought I knew. After wrestling with the question for a while, I set that bad boy up in the mill and removed the extra frame length. Wow, never missed it.

When PF for major was lowered to 165, away went the bull barrel too. Now I'm using a std. weight Kart bushing-type barrel in the gun. It comes out of the holster pretty snappy and makes transitions quick too.

I think my preference right now is light and easy to swing as opposed to heavy and controls recoil better. But, that's just my style, combined with a 165PF. B)

Being too cheap to buy a new limited gun (actually, there are other reasons, but that's good enough :D ), I have one of Johnny Lim's sleeved bbls in my Para. It's the poor man's long dust cover.

kevin, do you have any photos of how this sleeve looks like? I checked limcats website but can't find any info about it there. Thanks.

It has the same profile as most bull barrels, but the extra material over a standard, straight bbl is the tungsten sleeve. The only place to see any difference is visible joint of the sleeve and the rifled, steel portion of the bbl at the crown.

At the time I had the bbl installed, Johnny only sold them with a Clark/Para cut - apparently the suckers are so heavy that the extra material is needed to prevent the lugs from shearing. That may not be the case now, since it's been 4 or 5 years, and I don't know how J may have upgraded his design.

I do know that my link has stretched - it's now slightly oval, and a few thousandths longer than standard. I also noticed a very slight amount of battering on the top lugs after the breakin, but no changes in the link or lugs since. It locks up tight w/o binding, and seems to be stable.

• 10 years later...

this is a 10 year old thread. i just want to share my tungsten sleeved KKM precision barrel. reduced felt recoil by 30%. 90% of the IPSC standard shooters here in the Phils have this

3e6eduna.jpg

Edited by bonglee0507

In no way do I mean this to sound critical or flippant... but how did you come up with 30%? Is that your "guesstimation"?

Also, why doesn't the angle of the front/rear cocking serrations match? (perhaps it's just the angle that the photo was taken???)

Edited by Bird_Dog0347

In no way do I mean this to sound critical or flippant... but how did you come up with 30%? Is that your "guesstimation"?

Also, why doesn't the angle of the front/rear cocking serrations match? (perhaps it's just the angle that the photo was taken???)

Its like shootina a 9mm

I used one of Johnny's perfect sight before with a tungsten barrel after 2k rounds i sold it and got SV. The guy that bought it from me cracked the sleeve after 2k rounds.

I think gumsmiths here perfected this sleeving of the barrel with tungsten. No reports of cracking as of today and yes you can always practice to be a good shooter. At first i was quite hesitant in installing one but i noticed majority of the shooters here use it and they are improving faster than i am so i decided to put one. Im just a weekend shooter and just jumped in the tungsten bandwagon. Let's just see how our guys here fair in the WS

I used one of Johnny's perfect sight before with a tungsten barrel after 2k rounds i sold it and got SV. The guy that bought it from me cracked the sleeve after 2k rounds.

I think gumsmiths here perfected this sleeving of the barrel with tungsten. No reports of cracking as of today and yes you can always practice to be a good shooter. At first i was quite hesitant in installing one but i noticed majority of the shooters here use it and they are improving faster than i am so i decided to put one. Im just a weekend shooter and just jumped in the tungsten bandwagon. Let's just see how our guys here fair in the WS

I agree with you. Gunsmiths here in the Phil perfected it. Im using it also. Its like shooting 9mm. Need to get used to its weight.

I preffer a well balanced gun over a front heavy gun ... My 6" is very well balanced than my 5" ... My 5" cycles alot faster ( 11.4oz slide) and transitions faster. But my 6" just feels much better; when I run it ... It also cycles slower so my slow eyes can keep up with the sights.

As for the tungsten barrel ... You want a heavy gun you just start with a heavy gun ( i.e. full dust cover aka The Edge ) and if you want heavier add a tungsten guide rod and you want heavier than that add a steel grip and if you want heavier than that add a tungsten sleeve on the barrel.

What I've notice from watching numerous friends shoot IPSC in the Philippines ... Its very rare that you shoot a stage like a USPSA stage ( 30+ rds ). Its usually only in the 19rd to low/mid 20's round count. Even the mid 20's are rare. So theres alot less transitions happening in a PPSA stage that there is in a USPSA stage. So a super heavy iron pig of a gun would be still competitive but in long courses of fire which are normal at USPSA, it would start to lose ground on the lighter guns.

Edited by RippSpeed

I preffer a well balanced gun over a front heavy gun ... My 6" is very well balanced than my 5" ... My 5" cycles alot faster ( 11.4oz slide) and transitions faster. But my 6" just feels much better; when I run it ... It also cycles slower so my slow eyes can keep up with the sights.

As for the tungsten barrel ... You want a heavy gun you just start with a heavy gun ( i.e. full dust cover aka The Edge ) and if you want heavier add a tungsten guide rod and you want heavier than that add a steel grip and if you want heavier than that add a tungsten sleeve on the barrel.

What I've notice from watching numerous friends shoot IPSC in the Philippines ... Its very rare that you shoot a stage like a USPSA stage ( 30+ rds ). Its usually only in the 19rd to low/mid 20's round count. Even the mid 20's are rare. So theres alot less transitions happening in a PPSA stage that there is in a USPSA stage. So a super heavy iron pig of a gun would be still competitive but in long courses of fire which are normal at USPSA, it would start to lose ground on the lighter guns.

Horse $&!+ The name of the game is keeping the gun on target. If that weren't the case then why would you put a comp on an open gun? You can't put a comp on a limited gun to control recoil so you add weight plain and simple. Every monkey with a milling machine cuts guns up and tells everyone it's "better". Why do you think there is a weight limit for single stack? If weight wasn't an advantage and "slowed you down " why would it matter?

PPSA in the Philippines follow IPSC rules i think USPSA has diffrent rules on courses of fire and equipment.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Horse $&!+ The name of the game is keeping the gun on target. If that weren't the case then why would you put a comp on an open gun? You can't put a comp on a limited gun to control recoil so you add weight plain and simple. Every monkey with a milling machine cuts guns up and tells everyone it's "better". Why do you think there is a weight limit for single stack? If weight wasn't an advantage and "slowed you down " why would it matter?

Isnt that what I'm saying a lighter gun will always be faster than a heavy gun. And thats the reason why they dont allow slide cuts in single stack because of the weight advantage ...