Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Barrels

Precision40

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use a lower recoil spring coz the added weight absorbs recoil energy. If you use a 14 lb recoil spring, ejection will be weak/marginal.

Also what Bonglee said, the dipping when the slide goes forward will be pronounced. Hence, a lighter spring will help.

Mike, I will get back to you on this one.

Jim, yes, this can be done on a pistol that has been fired already.

Guys, the latest craze is a tungsten sleeve with a diameter of 0.765 in. This requires boring the slide twice; one for the horizontal, and one for the lock up clearance. The barrel will be so heavy that recoil will be like shooting a 9mm. In fact, the barrel assembly is heavier than a 38 Super 5.5 inch compensated bull barrel assembly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread! I think the discussion has shifted from tungsten barrels to gun weights and the reality is that is personal preference. There isn't really a need to argue about what is better, because better depends on the shooter. Is a fast transition better than a fast split? The reality is if you can manage the recoil of the gun a lighter gun will start and stop faster. Is the "9mm marshmallow" recoil worth the extra weight to swing around? I think bonglee is exactly right, we will see at the WS. People can argue all day long on the inter web machine but results don't lie. I have a prediction but I will keep it to myself. BTW my single stack weighs 36 oz and I couldnt be happier!

Trying to get this back on track here- is the sleeve threaded at the front or the rear of the barrel? I'm asking because I'm thinking of a similar concept but with a metal that is lighter than steel...

I think we had a preview last month on the extreme euro open. Jethro Dionisio of the Phils beat the WS 2011 standard champ Blake Miguez. Jethro used a 40 cal with tungsten sleeved barrel.

Thank you for the information on the weight! This is all very fascinating to me.

I think there are many reasons that one shooter might beat another at an individual match, but the world shoot should be a great opportunity to see if there is a dominant setup in Standard!

It could still be at its early days still so it may not be many shooters in the WS that have a tungsten barrel however it looks promising and is a trend worth seeing over the next few years to come. It may become the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a thread going about the long stroke slide mod as well and people are saying similar things about that being like shooting 9mm with full power 40 ammunition. Would be an interesting comparison if someone with a ton of extra cash were so inclined to do a little experiment.

The smith who does the long stroke explained in one of the forums that he only removes 0.200 in. from the frame rails. He did mention that there is hardly any improvement with regards to lowering recoil.

But adding up to 3 oz. weight to the barrel will have a estimated 25% reduction in recoil. Simple physics.

Simple physics will tell you that if the same energy is going out the front of the gun, the same is going into the shooters hands. You're just changing the perception of the recoil.

I'm sure if Jethro was shooting a regular bull barrel he would have beaten Blake anyway.

Simple physics will tell you that if the same energy is going out the front of the gun, the same is going into the shooters hands. You're just changing the perception of the recoil.

Seriously!? I don't have a whole lot of edumacation but I know I can't send a paint can full of sand near as far into the air with a M-80 as I can when it's empty, just sayin.

Seriously!? I don't have a whole lot of edumacation but I know I can't send a paint can full of sand near as far into the air with a M-80 as I can when it's empty, just sayin.

I should go get the $$,$$$ back that I spent all those years to get my bachelors degree then shouldn't I?

I'd write you out the equations to prove it but I'd rather drink my beer.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Actually, lets do it.

Assume that the can absorbs the same amount of energy from the M80 if it's light or heavy.

You turn that into Kinetic energy with the can accelerating upwards. Force = Mass x Acceleration. Since the can weighs less, the acceleration will be higher.

As the can gets higher, the kinetic energy is traded for potential energy.

Potential Energy = Mass x Gravity (acceleration towards the earth) x Height. So if the empty can has 10x less mass than the full can, it will have the same potential energy when it is 10x farther up in the air. Still the same energy.

(Of course we are negating friction to drag & other influences.)

So I suppose you're right, you can make a can fly farther up into the air with a M80 if it weighs less.

Of course this still has nothing to do with a heavy gun. We're not accelerating the gun, we're absorbing the energy of the bullet leaving the barrel. You're just changing the feel.

I should go get the $$,$$$ back that I spent all those years to get my bachelors degree then shouldn't I?

Physics isn't for everyone.

Per the example above I'm waiting for someone to come out with a rail attachment to hold paint cans full of sand on your IPSC pistol.

I think people confuse perception with physical and mathmatical realities.

Back to the topic of the thread, a heavier gun will spread the recoil impulse out over a longer period of time, giving it a "softer" feel.

What Jediwarrior and others are doing is very interesting because adding weight to the barrel affects the unlocking of the gun. It may be more advantageous than simply having weight in the frame, etc. I don't have an answer to this, although I do have an opinion about overall gun weight, etc. I can't say that this is better, or worse, just different.

I think if we are really interested in "gaming" equipment we need to be open minded and willing to accept objective data, physics, results, etc. I'm in the middle of a build that reflects my current thoughts on an ideal setup, and once it is done I'll stick with it for a while and see if it works for me. Hopefully I can settle on it and stay out of the "Technical" forums enough that I read the "Shooting" ones instead.

Apparently you should go get your money back. Go look up the equation for free recoil. There's a reason the weight of the firearm is part of that equation.