Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100

It's expensive. Ive heard of people modifying the frankford arsenal primer feeder for dillon tubes. I haven't tried it though. The dillon one is supposed to work well, just a cost issue for me personally

Daniel K

They work well when they work. A bit tedious to adjust initially and occasionally need to be fiddled with.

No matter the secret sauce or voodoo incantations I always seemed to get 1 or 2 flipped primers per thousand and for that reason alone I have two that sit idle on my bench today.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of the newer ones with adjustable vibration and a two minute off plus an on off switch. It works really good if you get the vibration adjusted just right. Over vibrate and it will flip some primers. Under vibrate and it won't feed the last two or two or three.

I am satisfied with it and use it constantly. I would buy it again.

Edited by Brooke

I wanted one but the price was an issue. Especially after watching videos. It doesn't look like it works that well and seems to take as long as if you do it by hand. I have the Frankford arsenal vibes prime. It's junk but I can actuallget it to work. The tubes it comes with need to be thrown away. I use the Dillon tubes. I do have to bend or torque on the assembly once I get the primers and Dillon tube in the adapter but it does work. 

I love dillons stuff but I'd spend money one something else. Like a case feeder or bullet feeder. Or if you haven't bought the press adding that money for the primer filler and get the higher end press!

Just my $0.11!  

The great thing about the RF is that it loads primers in the tube automatically. You just dump in a tray of primers, turn it on and go back to loading. When you are ready for more primers they are there in the tube. You don't have any other interaction with it. You don't have to hold it while it loads, or stack up a bunch of filled tubes. Just drop the full tube of primers into the reloader mag, put the tube back on the RF, dump in a new tray, of primers, and turn it on...

If its flipping primers, its not adjusted correctly. The built in reostate makes it easy. It also needs to be level, or just slightly tilted foreward, something most that have trouble don't do. And a rubber buffer on the top of the tube where it rubs on the head helps as well.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

It also needs to be level, or just slightly tilted foreward, something most that have trouble don't do. And a rubber buffer on the top of the tube where it rubs on the head helps as well.

Hadn't heard about the slight tilt forward - a new one I will have to try. The other tricks helped, but still not 100% reliable for me.

Thanks for the input though JJ,

M

I thought I was in reloading heaven when I got one of the first 8 prototypes to test out.

Brian what is the policy on classifieds?

Perhaps I shouldn't stand in the way of someone else achieving reloading Nirvana :-)

I use a PAL now. With a Mk VII driven 1050, I can reload 2 almost 3 tubes with the PAL in between primer refills at 1,800 rounds an hour (actually closer to 1,650-1,700 actual when considering a stop every 100 rounds for more primers, cases and bullets, etc.).

Idle hands are the work of the devil, so it gives me something to do while the press is running - while still keeping an eye on what's going on.

M

10 hours ago, Brooke said:

I have one of the newer ones with adjustable vibration and a two minute off plus an on off switch. It works really good if you get the vibration adjusted just right. Over vibrate and it will flip some primers. Under vibrate and it won't feed the last two or two or three.

I am satisfied with it and use it constantly. I would buy it again.

+1. Like others, the price put me off, but I now wish I had gotten one years ago.

Been pretty happy with mine, takes a bit to get it initially setup just right, but once setup correctly I don't have to mess with it.  Just dump and let it run.  Mine has the rheostat and auto shutoff feature, which can be added to an older version as well.

I started with pickup tubes, then used a Vibra-prime for a while. Picked up a Rf-100 a few months ago. I love it.  Next to the bullet feeder on my 650 it is one of my greatest time savers I have in my reloading arsenal.  It took about 3 tries to get my machine working like a champ. The only issue I have is using S&P primers. It eats winchester, CCI, Tula, and federal without a problem.  It is a wise investment if you want to save time. 

Purchased an RF100 last year, prior to that I was loading ten primer tubes per session.

Now I throw 100 primers on the RF100, hit the power button..... while it's loading the first tube I top of cases, powder and bullets.  Usually by the time I'm done, so is the RF100.  I throw another 100 into it, hit start.... and start reloading, when I run out of primers I simply repeat the process, grab the full tube and load the press.... then toss another 100 into it, and go back to reloading.

I'm running 1000+ rnds an hour (s1050 w/MBF), and that includes topping off all supplies (usually add bullets and cases when the primer alarms sounds) and QC'ing 5-10 cartridges per 100 (case gauge/measure).

Recently I needed to make a small adjustment, overall it's worth every penny IMO.  If I had to do it again, I'd buy it earlier in my reloading addiction.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

12 hours ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Ugh.  You guys are going to end up convincing me to buy one.  

I don't like things permanently attached to my bench, though.  Has anyone used one mounted to a small shelf or something similar?

It is free standing so no need to attach to bench. 

I grew up in Pensacola and always said I would live in Fairhope someday. Never got around to it. War Eagle!

3 hours ago, Brooke said:

It is free standing so no need to attach to bench. 

I grew up in Pensacola and always said I would live in Fairhope someday. Never got around to it. War Eagle!

Ah, I thought it needed to be mounted to work correctly.  I didn't realize it just sat on the bench.

I would not want to live without it, but nene of my three RF100's has been totally reliable.  They all seem to be sensitive to the primer brand to some degree, prefer one brand over the other, and all require prodding from time to time - usually just hitting their side with your palm is sufficient. 

The irony is - they tend to start fine, but with time lose their grip.  I suspect with some tweaking they could be made more reliable again, but when I go to my reloading bench, I go to reload, not to fiddle with equipment.  So I just monitor them and sometimes knock on their sides.  And yes, they all have the latest hardware - some were already bought that way, others upgraded.