Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

I'm watching this thread again. I real think it might be a less-expensive way to go about it. I'm thinking of tinkering on my own to set up a slide ride type upper for my girlfriend to shoot open with. We have smaller matches around here, so an easy 40 load would be fun and fine. Plus I used to shoot SS, so not worried about 1-2 reloads a day. would it be OK to buy some used slides and barrels and stuff, just to see if I like it? Already have an STI 40 and 45 lower set up really well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so one question I have for those who shoot Open .40's. Do you have to be as careful with brass is the guys shooting 9mm Major? I have seen that they can't use brass more than one or two times or they can have serious issues with the brass due to pressures. Does the .40 major out of an open gun have those issues?

Ok, so one question I have for those who shoot Open .40's. Do you have to be as careful with brass is the guys shooting 9mm Major? I have seen that they can't use brass more than one or two times or they can have serious issues with the brass due to pressures. Does the .40 major out of an open gun have those issues?

Normally an open 40 doesn't have pressure problems, but I am sure if basics were ignored it could happen.

And those that have pressure problems with 9major are ignoring the same things. Such as; there are only 2-3 powders that are acceptable. And hiding high pressure signs with rifle primers. If ya just gotta be cool and use rifle primers, ya really gotta be careful. Do load development with pistol primers is one way to watch for over-pressure.

If done correctly 9major will not damage brass either.

JMHO

jj

I shoot a Glock 22 Open and I love it. I have no signs of over pressure at all. Just use the right powder and play with your loads too find what works for you. What works for someone on here might not work for you. But I am not saying to not try what they are using.

I shoot a Glock 22 Open and I love it. I have no signs of over pressure at all. Just use the right powder and play with your loads too find what works for you. What works for someone on here might not work for you. But I am not saying to not try what they are using.

What load and powder do you use for yours? I am thinking about having Bobby carver build up my Glock 22. Might give me a good baseline to experiment with.

I'm in the middle of building up my .40 Open M&P. 4 port Carver comp with 155gr Montana Gold heads and 7.2 grains of Silhouette (supposed to make major, haven't chrono'd yet) and according to the 5 guys I had try it last Wednesday who all shoot 38 super. It was noticeably softer shooting. Right now I just have it setup with my Limited top end, so blacked out rear and Fiber front. I am lightyears faster with it than my regular major Limited load. In the next couple weeks once work dies down, I'll be milling out a slide and mounting a Delta Point to see how it really does. Currently get 20 reloadable in my mags, I'm not worried about having to do a reload when 9's won't need one, I'm not good enough for it to make a difference and to change over my press from my limited load which I have 15,000 bullets for and my Open load... 3 turns of the seat die and 3 turns of the powder drop. That's it!

I am starting to turn my STI Edge into an open gun. Looking for a comp and 170mm mag body. Who is still shooting open .40 these days? I am shooting .40 production haha. Need to get this threat going again.

My open gun is an Edge.

I do know a shooter with several 170mm 40 mags. He wanted me to buy them but I already have three.

I turned my XDm 40 caliber, limited gun, into an open gun last August. I did so because I have reached the point where I can no longer shoot iron sights, and did not have the capitol to build a new gun. After 6 matches, thought I had all the bugs worked out . . . she was running good! That is, until I shot a match last month, in 23 degree weather . . . too much spring. I have an 11# spring in her now, and initial tests look good. Going to put it outside for a few hours, and run it this afternoon.

I bought a Trijicon RMR and slide mount and a KKM barrel w/ comp this week. Going to try out Open for a bit with my Glock 22 top end on my Limited gun frame.

I'm currently shooting 165 or 180 moly bullets with n320. Need to figure out an Open load. Looks like autocomp is popular. Hopefully I can find it.

After shooting last season with a G35 in limited, my old eyes were telling me it was time for a dot.

Going with a .40 for an open gun was my number one choice.

Trying to find a used g22 slide for under the price of a complete gun was another story.

So, for now I decided to build a super budget open Glock.

I used a LW 40-9 4 port conversion barrel for a G35 that was collecting dust.

Picked up a Burris FF3 8moa dot for around $190.

Stuck everything in my G35 limited gun.

Shooting 9 minor loads in it at about a 135 PF it was nice and soft.

This allows me to get used to acquiring the dot for awhile to see if I like it before committing to an open .40 setup!

image.jpg

Here's my G22 that Bobby Carver put together for me. This past weekend was my 1st match with it and my 7th USPSA match. The first 5 matches I shot were using a Glock 34 or 35 in limited. The 6th match I used a 9mm open gun. My best scores so far have been with this G22. I have been shooting it with 155gr Berry's HBRN with 7.2 gr Autocomp and 180gr X-treme with 6.9 gr HS6.

31239710151305865344613.jpg

When did you start shooting open? 1994

Was 40 your first caliber in open? Yes

Why did you choose 40? It was the new, hot setup at the time.

What make is your gun? Springfield Armory

Who built it? A guy named Bob that shoots at my club.

What barrel length, comp and optic are you using? 5", homebuilt, C-More

Do you run a big stick, and what capacity are you getting? No

What have you settled on for a load? It was almost 20 years ago, I don't remember but it could have involved Win231.

What's your open classification? B

Where do you live? SE Michigan

Sorry, no picture available. Sold this one to fund the .38 Super built by George at EGW.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

• 1 month later...

I just started and i also shoot 40. i had a glock 35 that i decided needed everything redone, inside and out. Had some work done by b&b customs and have a steel frame on order. Yes its not a sti, but im just getting started and lets face it....im cheap. ps. disregard the grip tape, seemed like good idea at time but makes it look like old nintendo gun. Shoots great

post-47377-0-04641900-1366139320_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I turned one of my 40 caliber XDm's into an open gun last year. Just got to the point where I could no longer shoot iron sights, at anything more than 20 yards away. And, I was not about to spend 4 grand on a gun. At my age, and skill level, it's all about the fun. No gun will ever make me a Max Michael anyhow :roflol:

I started with a Fastfire II, on a Scott Springer slide mount. However, after I purchased a used Carver mount, here on the forum, my shooting improved.

post-23750-0-52956600-1376590845_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got one of those extensions for my 22rd mag and with 357 sig I get 26 rounds in it. I think it's a pretty good set up. I double checked mine on the gage and it looks like I need to think ake a couple thousands off think ake he back of the feed lips to be legal but it's really close.

Mike