Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

Jimmy, I bet the wal mart value pack ammo does make major it does in my shorter G22 open gun.

Ill test some 155s and AA7 either monday or tuesday and let you know what i think about them.

i shot some power pistol loads and they were smokin hot.

155@1255 fps. with cast lead.

im gonna try that at about 1100 fps and with HS6 also.

Harmon

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"155@1255 fps. with cast lead."

That might effect local weather patterns for a couple days. WOW!

Yes, good. I'd like to see the 155 data when you get it. I have to

pick some up. Somewhere.

Well...it's scored as Open! :goof:

DSC00504-1.jpg

That makes my smile! Cause I don't see hardly any open major glocks like mine!

I also got the Burris and Wolf barrel with a custom comp. Will be shooting it at the Nationals next month and again

at Area 2 this year. If you're at these 2 matches hope to run into you!

BTW I'm a good friend of Larry P who has been an RO at Area 2 and WSSS the past couple years. He wears a green Rio Salado

bowling shirt.

I'm thinking about doing the same that many of you have. I built a 6" topend for my Limited gun. Now I have a 5" slide and a 5" Bar Sto bushing barrel. Can I get a cone comp and then have the Bar Sto barrel threaded for it? Or, do I need a 5.5" barrel?

Also, those of you who are getting 27 rounds in a 170 mag, what parts are you using to get that capacity?

Chris

I'm sure you can use your 5" barrel and have it threaded for a cone comp. That's what I did, but mine was a 5" Tribrid sight tracker style. I had the rib milled off and then the barrel was turned down to classic diameter before threading and installing the comp. I know one guy on here has an older/shorter SV tube with a longer base pad to get to 171.25mm which gave him 27 capacity. I'm getting 25 rounds in my untuned STI big stick with 4mm Gramm's basepad. It fits the gauge perfectly.

I'm getting 26+1 in all my mags, both STI and SVI. Grams guts and basepads.

Is there someone getting 27 in the tube??? I was told that it could be done with SVI tube and Bolen Guts and basepad and having them tuned. I just haven't been able to justify the price to get one more round.

Flyin

At a smaller regional match this year we had a shooter on our Squad fail to make major over and over with WWB 165g 100 round value pak in a 5" STI Edge. Highest PF he got was 152!!

Another example of black magic at the chronograph. You can be 99% sure of what your load will do at the chrono, but never completely.

I'm getting 26+1 in all my mags, both STI and SVI. Grams guts and basepads.

Is there someone getting 27 in the tube??? I was told that it could be done with SVI tube and Bolen Guts and basepad and having them tuned. I just haven't been able to justify the price to get one more round.

Flyin

Flyin,

Yup, that combo will get 27 in the mag. It works but the only issue is that the spring life is way short as compared to the Grams 13 coil springs at 26. It seats fairly easy since I use a Para frame with a standard SV tube. Is one more round worth it? :unsure: Is any of the stuff we do worth it? :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

I chronoed a few loads this weekend. I liked the feel of these compared to some Silhouette loads I tried before, but they didn't quite work out. A few more tenths may get me there if I've got the room. Need to check the load data. I've got a pound of AutoComp on the way as we speak.

135 gr Rainier FP, 8.2 gr Power Pistol, 1.18" COL, 155 PF.

155 gr Rainier FP, 6.8 gr Power Pistol, 1.18" COL, 153 PF.

165 gr Rainier FP, 6.2 gr Power Pistol, 1.18" COL, 153 PF.

Other loads that did make major:

135gr Nossler JHP, 9.0 gr Silhouette, 1.18" COL, 170 PF.

140gr Bear Creek, 8.6 gr Silhouette, 1.17" COL, 178 PF.

This is out of a 5" Schuemann AET barrel.

I dunno I think the mag will bight you alot more often. The its not so much looking for a reload point but shooting stages against people who dont reload at all. Last month I finished 3 (Limited) stages way higher than my class on 22 and 23 round stages as I have a 22 +1 magazine. Not having to reload at all on a stage opens things up a bit. Granted this was actually the first match all year that had 22 or 23 round stages so but then one match had 3. So go figure. I think any 28-31 round stage a 40 open guy will be at a pretty big disadvantage, All that being said I still want a .40 open gun. Cause I dont really care that much

A good point. The Nationals stages as posted will not require a single reload for any stage from my 9 major gun. Of course when I actually see them a reload may be in order for a comfort margin. :ph34r:

I just picked up a IPSC modified gun to play with.

The only loads that I have tried are my limited loads, 231 under 180gr precision. The gun shot like a limited gun with a c-more.

To all those that shoot Poly coated bullets like Black Bullets or precision, do you find that they clog the comp and ports more?

I was thinking of using Bear Creek 140 over IMR 7625. would I be better off running a heavier bullet? would plated be worth the extra cost?

here is a picture of the little guy

modified%202.jpg

The only loads that I have tried are my limited loads, 231 under 180gr precision. The gun shot like a limited gun with a c-more.

To all those that shoot Poly coated bullets like Black Bullets or precision, do you find that they clog the comp and ports more?

I was thinking of using Bear Creek 140 over IMR 7625. would I be better off running a heavier bullet? would plated be worth the extra cost?

I have handled quite a few modified guns over the last few years and I never found one that DIDN'T shoot like a limited gun with an optic. Yours sounds typical.

Edited by larry cazes

I have handled quite a few modified guns over the last few years and I never found one that DIDN'T shoot like a limited gun with an optic. Yours sounds typical.

Good to know.

for those interested at 1.125 oal i can get 25 40 caliber rounds in my glock big stick (latest gen tube, TF basepad)

the gun is a glock 22

siedler mount (made in austria)

Lone wolf threaded 40 caliber barrel freebored to take STI length ammo (1.200" oal at .401" bullet dia)

Currently running a lone wolf comp but i am ordering a Jager comp tomorrow.

Home built vanek type trigger. 2.5 pounds.

THE brass magwell

THE tungsten guide rod wrapped with an IMSI 13# spring

Factory striker spring

Bushnell trophy micro sight (looks like aimpoint micro) 3 M.O.A. dot

current load is 6.5 N350 and a 155 HP at 1.125 oal and fed 200 primer. Mixed brass pushed through a lee factory crimp die minus the crimping guts.

Ive shot everything from 135s to 200s and the gun shoots great. the long freebore does not seem to affect accuracy but DOES increase reliability with lead bullets.

Harmon

I dunno I think the mag will bight you alot more often. The its not so much looking for a reload point but shooting stages against people who dont reload at all. Last month I finished 3 (Limited) stages way higher than my class on 22 and 23 round stages as I have a 22 +1 magazine. Not having to reload at all on a stage opens things up a bit. Granted this was actually the first match all year that had 22 or 23 round stages so but then one match had 3. So go figure. I think any 28-31 round stage a 40 open guy will be at a pretty big disadvantage, All that being said I still want a .40 open gun. Cause I dont really care that much

A good point. The Nationals stages as posted will not require a single reload for any stage from my 9 major gun. Of course when I actually see them a reload may be in order for a comfort margin. :ph34r:

So your saying you won't do any reloads at nationals?? I just took a look at the stages, even if I had 31 in the mag there are 3 stages that I would do a reload. Me having a 40 means I would do 1 more reload bringing it to 4.

stage 4 29rds

stage 6 27 rds

stage 9 25rd

stage 14 29rds

No reload?? With all the steel, movers etc?? Do you make up a D to get an A?? or even a C to get an A?? Do me a favor, keep track of your reloads and lets us know after nationals. The top guys are going to reload on 2 if not 3 of the stages. 1 jam or a couple misses and makeups and your doing a standing reload at the end of the course and you lose alot of points.

Like I said earlier where a 40 open capacity comes into play is the mid 20's round count like the 25 rds on stage 9. I don't have to reload because I can get 27 but I will. That stage has alot of movement I wouldn't take a chance of trying to run it without a reload. It has 1 steel and 4 movers.

Stage 9 is the only stage at Nationals where a larger capacity has an advantage over a 40. Stage 6 is 27 rounds with 5 steel, 2 of which are going to be behind a hard cover steel and 3 movers and with that stage design there will be several places to reload.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

I wouldn't take a chance of trying to run it without a reload.

Flyin

I can tell ya this, I can recall a couple times at few state and 1 area match on ULSC I dropped an empty big stick and showed a clear chamber. RO usually just gives me the "you lucky dog" look and shakes his head, I in return say something to effect of "What? You don't call YOUR shots?" :rolleyes: It usually gets some good laughs. Haven't got bit YET, but sooner or later......................