Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why 40? This is really going to limit your magazine capacity. Isn't that what open is all about?

No open is about having a comp and optical sights. Since rules limit 8 scoring hits from a single position that means my 24+1 rounds (G24C) gives me multiple reload points. I know a couple 38 super shooters tried to do a 28 round stage with a 28 round mag only to have it jam before they finished. I would have had to reload somewhere but I could have finished.

Just a thought after re-reading this thread....

How many people shoot open 40 because of the following reasons:

I already have a 40, I'll just add a dot and a comp.

I live somewhere where I can't load to capacity, so there is no benefit to 9/38.

I don't reload an it is easier to buy 40 that makes major.

I used to run 40 for the first reason. I learned my lessons, now I shoot 9mm. (with range brass)

• 2 months later...

Anybody else notice that none of the Rainier 135gr actually weigh 135gr. Most of mine are weight out at 133.5-134.8. Gonna bump up the powder a bit so I'm good for Area 2.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that I had feed issues with them for some reason. I totally blew Area 3 because of constant jams due to this.

I'm going to use Nosler 135gr JHP with 8.2 Autocomp for the big matches. I used those at the MO Fall Classic and they ran just fine.

For the average local match, I'll use Montana Gold 165gr with 6.3gr Autocomp. Not as flat as the 135gr, but they cost less.

I noticed your avitar is from the STL area. I'm in the STL area monthly and I've been buying most of my reloading supplies from Graff's & Cabela's while I'm in town. I tried Graff's 155gr Rainier bullets and didn't have much luck.

6.9grn AutoComp

10 shots

Hi vel 1196

Low vel 1124

Extreme spread 72

Avrg vel 1158

Avrg dev 12.2

Energy 492

Std Dev 18.38

10 round group accuracy spread 3.37” @ 25 yrds

Compared to Winchester white box 165gr ammo:

165grn rnj bullet

10 shots

Hi vel 1146

Low vel 1100

Extreme spread 46

Avrg vel 1118

Avrg dev 10.7

Energy 430

Std dev 13.86

10 round group accuracy spread 1.88" @ 25 yards.

I'd be better off using the W/W/B 165gr over the Rainier 155gr with these results. I'd like to try the 135gr Nosler or some 155gr Montana Gold, but Graff's doesn't carry those. Where do you get your reloading supplies?

Thx, Brian

My biggest concern in working up my load was making Power Factor with a load that worked my comp well. I never have shot groups for accuracy, but I can say that they seem to go where I point them. Steel falls.. when I shoot at it so no complaints here. I use Rainier 135gr.

Anybody else notice that none of the Rainier 135gr actually weigh 135gr. Most of mine are weight out at 133.5-134.8. Gonna bump up the powder a bit so I'm good for Area 2.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that I had feed issues with them for some reason. I totally blew Area 3 because of constant jams due to this.

I'm going to use Nosler 135gr JHP with 8.2 Autocomp for the big matches. I used those at the MO Fall Classic and they ran just fine.

For the average local match, I'll use Montana Gold 165gr with 6.3gr Autocomp. Not as flat as the 135gr, but they cost less.

I noticed your avitar is from the STL area. I'm in the STL area monthly and I've been buying most of my reloading supplies from Graff's & Cabela's while I'm in town. I tried Graff's 155gr Rainier bullets and didn't have much luck.

6.9grn AutoComp

10 shots

Hi vel 1196

Low vel 1124

Extreme spread 72

Avrg vel 1158

Avrg dev 12.2

Energy 492

Std Dev 18.38

10 round group accuracy spread 3.37" @ 25 yrds

Compared to Winchester white box 165gr ammo:

165grn rnj bullet

10 shots

Hi vel 1146

Low vel 1100

Extreme spread 46

Avrg vel 1118

Avrg dev 10.7

Energy 430

Std dev 13.86

10 round group accuracy spread 1.88" @ 25 yards.

I'd be better off using the W/W/B 165gr over the Rainier 155gr with these results. I'd like to try the 135gr Nosler or some 155gr Montana Gold, but Graff's doesn't carry those. Where do you get your reloading supplies?

Thx, Brian

I get my reloading supplies from my local range, (Top Gun in Arnold), or from Dunn's Sporting goods in Pevely. Top Gun carries Montana Gold bullets.

I have tried the 155gr MG, and they didn't run as reliably. I think it's because they have a more conical shape to them, as opposed to the 165gr MGs or 135gr Nosler. They would jam up, and I needed to increase the recoil spring to a #15 to get them to run reliably.

Anyway, I've bought an STI 9 Major Open gun, so I won't be shooting .40 in competition any more. I still use it for bowling pin shoots, but that's about it.

• 1 month later...

I have a .40 Open also. I've been away from competition for a while now, and I was shaking the bugs out of mine right around the time I got away from the sport.

my .40Open:

Para gunsmith frame I got in a trade of prize-table stuff

STI slide, originally decked for a slide-ride Optima.

Clark .40 threaded barrel.

Dawson "Awesome #2"comp, 4 upward ports, 2 sidewards

C-More Serendipity sight with 8-minute dot.

Para factory mag tubes ...I went with .40 because I was in CA and had the high-cap mags. With the Dawson pad,I could get 21 in the mag. Grams pads got me 20.I used the same mags with my Limited gun.

ammo was 140 gr Bear Creek RNFP over WSF powder and Win primers, loaded 1.135 OAL and 172 PF.

now that I'm thinking of getting back into the game, I'll probably try AutoComp.

I tried 155 Berrys plated, but not as good if results, but I could also shoot them in my LTD. Gun.

When I started out with my 40 open gun, I was testing with Bear Creek 140's. It was gunking up the comp pretty bad so I switched to rainier 135gr plated bullets. You must be digging out your comp somewhat frequently.

• 4 months later...

Gun is finished, just gotta work on the cosmetics. Still thinking on which way to go.

Need to develop a round. Settled on a 155 gr. Once I get that done, then I can work on the recoil spring then see if the slide needs venting. :)

Anyway. It was my 40 Edge Limited gun.

STI-open-a_zpsf37eef08.jpg

ati-open-b_zps385f0984.jpg

Why 40? This is really going to limit your magazine capacity. Isn't that what open is all about?

No open is about having a comp and optical sights. Since rules limit 8 scoring hits from a single position that means my 24+1 rounds (G24C) gives me multiple reload points. I know a couple 38 super shooters tried to do a 28 round stage with a 28 round mag only to have it jam before they finished. I would have had to reload somewhere but I could have finished.

Actually Open is about all three, optics, comps and higher magazine capacity. All other things being equal having more rounds is better than having less.

Pat

They can have more than 4 targets(8 shots) visible at any time. They just cant have more than that where it is only visible from there ie cant have 10 shots only visible through a port.

If you shoot outlaw three gun the rules are not nearly as rigid.

Pat

what # recoil spring are you guys useing in the 40 open guns?

My open 40 cycles and runs on 10# and 12# - what trades offs do I look for to choose?

e.g generally are there measurable changes to observe - like pistol size small and light gets more snappy on recoil and to point - heavier and bigger will not respond as quickly to recoil nor to transition.

What are the pros and cons on too light a spring versus too heavy - with limits that the gun still feeds and functions on the ammo.

Does this summarize the effect or are there more factors:

• Too light a spring with more flip on recoil and less force of slide going forward.
  • >> Slide opens faster/harder and closes slower with less spring resistance
  • Too heavy spring absorbs recoil and then slams slide home and down making it DIP.
  • >> Slide opens slower and closes faster with more spring resistance
  • Perfect spring cycles the action and returns it to battery without extreme open or close speed

So this is where a lighter slide can change the balance because the inertia on both open and close will be reduced.

I'm using a Para 40 - not the tightest slide fit - I was wondering if heavier spring might give a better return to same zero.

Note: I get 26 rounds in my mags with room to load - I had two tubes cut and welded into one big stick. I should be okay most times with 26+1 even with a forced reload somewhere.

I like using my old Para 40 mags that hold 21 rounds. Still getting used to the ported shock and change in recoil from Limited.

As you mentioned, #1 is to be sure the gun runs as close to 100% as possible.

Just experiment with your two springs and pay attention to the gun timing and dot tracking. That's what I was looking for when testing springs from 8-12 lb. I settled on a 9 lb. I was running a shock buff in my STI.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 06 when I started shooting open, I put a serindipity Cmore on my STI Executive limited gun. after shooting that setup for awhile, I got an open gun in 9mm. So now I have four 170mm STI mags with Dawson basepads that I will never use. Anyone want to buy em? $80 each. or $300 for all four.