Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

FYI, I got my big sticks put together and tested. I get 26 rounds reloadable and can start with 27 + 1.

The mags are SV 170mm tubes, Dawson SNL basepads and Bolen 13 coil springs and followers. And, yes they run. I tried some 11 coil springs but they weren't enough and would let the last round jam nose up in the gun.

Still looking for the right comp. Has anyone tried a short two port comp with a 40 open gun?

Then I have to decide on optic. I'm leaning toward Jpoint with a Bomar mount at this point. Anyone have a lot of rounds on a Jpoint gun to advise on how it has held up?

Chris

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I got my big sticks put together and tested. I get 26 rounds reloadable and can start with 27 + 1.

The mags are SV 170mm tubes, Dawson SNL basepads and Bolen 13 coil springs and followers. And, yes they run. I tried some 11 coil springs but they weren't enough and would let the last round jam nose up in the gun.

Still looking for the right comp. Has anyone tried a short two port comp with a 40 open gun?

Then I have to decide on optic. I'm leaning toward Jpoint with a Bomar mount at this point. Anyone have a lot of rounds on a Jpoint gun to advise on how it has held up?

Chris

I'm getting 27+1 also in untuned SVI tubes also. I'm trying to find the right combo to get me 23 reloadable in my short mags. I can get 23 but its really tight.

Flyin

Chris

I'm getting 27+1 also in untuned SVI tubes also. I'm trying to find the right combo to get me 23 reloadable in my short mags. I can get 23 but its really tight.

Flyin

What basepad are you using for 23? I have an old 7 or 8mm basepad I may try on my short STI mags to see what I can get. I'm getting 21 in my STI 140mm tubes with Dawson SNL and Grams 11 coil spring at follower. But, I have "tuned" my STI tubes to get the extra one in there.

Chris

Chris

Flyin

What basepad are you using for 23? I have an old 7 or 8mm basepad I may try on my short STI mags to see what I can get. I'm getting 21 in my STI 140mm tubes with Dawson SNL and Grams 11 coil spring at follower. But, I have "tuned" my STI tubes to get the extra one in there.

Chris

I'm using an SVI tube, Bolen spring 13 coil spring and follower and 13mm Bolen basepad on my 140mm.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

• 3 months later...

When did you start shooting open? Was 40 your first caliber in open? Why did you choose 40?

What make is your gun? Who built it? What barrel length, comp and optic are you using?

Do you run a big stick, and what capacity are you getting?

What have you settled on for a load?

What's your open classification?

Where do you live?

Just built my first Open gun.

Yes.

Why 40? 9mm factory loads don't make major. 45ACP lacks the capacity. 25+1 40 is plenty.

XDm. Me. 5" threaded for comp. Burris FF2 & Springer Precision 3port XDm Comp.

Yes, 25+1

LOL whatever I find at walmart?

U

FL

DSCF1776Custom.jpg

When did you start shooting open? 2001

Was 40 your first caliber in open? no .45

Why did you choose 40? available in store

What make is your gun? Glock

Who built it? Glock 24C

What barrel length, comp and optic are you using? 6" barrel, factory, C-More on a Carver mount

Do you run a big stick, and what capacity are you getting? 24 loadable

What have you settled on for a load? 7.0 gr Autocomp 155gr MG HP

What's your open classification? D

I have a STI 170mm 40S&W tube leftover from when I was running a 357SIG Open gun. I was going to adjust the lips and retune the tube for 38 Super, but then I remember how difficult these tubes were to find. Anyone in need of a 40 tube, contact me. This is a used tube, definately no NIB.

• 4 months later...

Been playing with my STI .40 open gun lately. I wasn't putting in enough time to find a good load, but I finally found one. 8.8gr Power Pistol behind a 135gr Rainier gave me 177 PF. This powder runs hot, but at least it works and I can get it locally. I first tried Silhouette, but I was getting too much gas volume. I tried AutoComp, but I was getting unburnt powder (or something) back in my face. The Power Pistol gives more gas pressure, less gas volume, and works my comp well. I shot it on Sunday and did rather well with it. I'm glad I finally get to play with this gun, shoot a dot, and make some NOISE!

• 3 months later...

I'm proud to announce my first ever match win, and I was shooting my .40 Open gun! I'm really liking this thing. Since I posted pics of it, I've added an RHT Thumbrest. Update on the load I've settled on: 135gr Rainier FP, 8.7gr Power Pistol, Federal small pistol primers, COL ~1.17 or 1.18 inch.

Great thread. I have been thinking of getting a 40 open top end for my limited gun. Or the 9mm open top end for my G17 and just run Open minor. Open definately peaks my interest, but mostly to improve my shooting. I can see how shooting open would allow you to concentrate more on the small things. But the main reason is Open guns rock! I just can't justify a full on open gun at this point.

1 When did you start shooting open? this past summer

2 Was 40 your first caliber in open? yes but since then i switched to STI 9mm

3 Why did you choose 40? I thought it was easier to make major

4 What make is your gun? XDm

5 Who built it? Springer

6 What barrel length, comp and optic are you using? 4.2in barrel SP 3port comp Cmore on a B&B enterprise mount (Carver)

7 Do you run a big stick, and what capacity are you getting? yes factory mag with pistol gear extension gives me 24rnds

8 What have you settled on for a load? 155gr CMJ MGB 7.5gr of auto comp sr primers

9 What's your open classification? with my new gun it C, but it was C with the xdm too just about 10% lower

10 Where do you live? OHIO

Edited by TRUbor9

Back in early 1994, I entertained myself with open for a spurt. I had an EAA Witness Carry Comp model in .40. Pistol had a single port comp and iron sights. I classified in C and gave it up...couldn't keep up with the .45 open scoped guns.

Just recently I purchased a real open gun...STI Trubor in 38 super. Wow, :surprise: what a difference. Now all I have to do it learn to shoot it and get my classification up...need to clear out all those C class scores I put in years back.

• 1 month later...

I'm just bringing this thread to the top to try and get the 40 Open guys to post about their 170mm mags again. I have had a couple guys PM me about my mags. They are SVI 170mm tubes, Bolen 13 coil springs, Bolen follower and either Dawson SNL or Bolen basepad. I had to file the back of the feedlips just a bit to get them to fit the mag gauge.

I haven't used these mags since last year when I finally got them tuned. I'm going to check them again this weekend for capacity and function. I believe I had them up to 28 rounds with a tweek on the mag tube. But, I will check to make sure.

What are others able to get now? What parts combination or tube tweeks are you guys using?

Chris

With SVI 170mm tube, Bolen 13 coil spring and follower and Bolen or SNL basepad you should get 27+1 without doing anything to the tube. My tubes have been modified.

I checked them. They are 28+1 with new brass and reloadable with 27 rounds. One mag body is harder to lock in than the other with 28. I measured them and the one that is harder to lock in is a bit narrower.

This is with the Bolen basepad. With my SNL basepads they are 27 reloadable but I can't quite get the 28th round in.

Also, I noticed that my Bolen springs are already getting a bit worn out. I hadn't shot these mags much last spring/summer so that isn't much of a useful life for mag springs. I'm sure it's because of cramming the 28th round in them so many times. If I had only used them with 27 rounds and very rarely used 28 rounds the springs might last longer.

I checked what all I did to the mag tubes to get the 28th round. I had spread the indentation at the top of the mag where the double stacked rounds start to become single stack prior to feeding. Basically making the indentation begin where the mag body begins narrowing rather than lower as it comes from the factory. Also, the mag catch notch had to be lowered just a tiny bit to get the mags to click in on my STI.

Chris

• 1 month later...

been tinkering with loads for mine. i think the load im gonna be using for a while is 140 grain hard cast bullet over 7.8 grains of IMR 4756 at 1.130 OAL lit off by a federal 200 primer in mixed( mostly winchester) range brass.

i had been shooting a lot of 175-180 grain bullets over near 8.0 grains of AA7 for an unknown power factor. these 140's are a lot snappier and the gun tracks like an open gun should.. it is also very loud.

I tried Bear Creek 140's, and Rainier 135, 155, 165, and 180's during my load development. I settled on the Rainier 135's based on their performance. The fact that I can jet on down to Rainier's HQ and buy them direct doesn't hurt. Let us know how your load works out for you.

• 3 months later...