Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zzt said:

tag, here is a pic of one comp.  The modified Tanfo comp is on a gun on loan to a friend, and I cannot seem to find any old pictures of it.

100_1083.JPG

That's awesome, by any chance do you have the size of he ports and popper holes? 

Appreciate 

The poppels are 3/16" diameter.  The ports are pretty standard for a major comp.  I'm going to experiment with an EGW Ti comp designed for minor this Winter.  It has smaller ports, but five instead of four chambers.  The poppels bleed off a lot of gas, so there isn't enough left to "work" the comp unless you go to lots more of a slower powder.  I'm hoping the smaller ports keep enough gas in the comp to work all five baffles.

35 minutes ago, zzt said:

The poppels are 3/16" diameter.  The ports are pretty standard for a major comp.  I'm going to experiment with an EGW Ti comp designed for minor this Winter.  It has smaller ports, but five instead of four chambers.  The poppels bleed off a lot of gas, so there isn't enough left to "work" the comp unless you go to lots more of a slower powder.  I'm hoping the smaller ports keep enough gas in the comp to work all five baffles.

K.  That's why I wanna use longshot and hope it will give me enough gas

Just now, tag129 said:

Hi

This is what I have heard. I don't know is true or not  

Is 38 super and 9 major shoot flatter than 40 open? How? 

Or they said 40 doesn't give off enough gas like 38 or 9.  

But doesn't it depends on the powder and the bullet weight? 

tag, that's nonsense.  For mid-weight bullets, 124 in 9 and 155 in 40, the powder charges are nearly identical.  Theoretically, the 9mm should shoot softer. because the baffles are larger and there is more surface for the gas to pus against.  In any event, the difference will be small.

I often shoot with two Master Open shooters.  Both shoot 9mm major.  Dave o's gun shoots flat as a pancake.  I've watched him extensively, and I simply cannot detect any.  He shoots a highly modified, weighted M&P.  Jim H. shoots a 2011.  His gun rises substantially more than mine.  BTW, both shoot 124gr bullets.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, zzt said:

tag, that's nonsense.  For mid-weight bullets, 124 in 9 and 155 in 40, the powder charges are nearly identical.  Theoretically, the 9mm should shoot softer. because the baffles are larger and there is more surface for the gas to pus against.  In any event, the difference will be small.

I often shoot with two Master Open shooters.  Both shoot 9mm major.  Dave o's gun shoots flat as a pancake.  I've watched him extensively, and I simply cannot detect any.  He shoots a highly modified, weighted M&P.  Jim H. shoots a 2011.  His gun rises substantially more than mine.  BTW, both shoot 124gr bullets.

Zzt

thats was I thought cause I will be using 135 with longshot powder, it should produce more gas than mid burn powder.

Thx for the conformation  

Longshot may be too slow tag.  The guys complaining about 40 making too much gas are the guys running the lightest bullets and slow powders.  IMO, the ideal amount of gas is exhausted through all the poppels and ports just before the bullet exits the front of the comp.

Thx zzt 

The reason I wanna use longshot is my friend can custom made a comp and drill the popper holes for me.  

My plan is 3 - 5/32" popper holes and as many ports as I need to exhaust the gas to keep the gun flat. 

I don't know if this is ideal but I will try it when I have all the components.   

What do you think? 

54 minutes ago, zzt said:

Longshot may be too slow tag.  The guys complaining about 40 making too much gas are the guys running the lightest bullets and slow powders.  IMO, the ideal amount of gas is exhausted through all the poppels and ports just before the bullet exits the front of the comp.

That's what I'm thinking. Some years of screwing around led me to accept that powder slower than N340 with 135's was no gain

• 2 weeks later...

When did you start shooting open? 6 months ago

Was 40 your first caliber in open? Yes

Why did you choose 40? Already had the gun set up for limited, so it didn't take much money to turn it into an open gun.  I also didn't want to load for multiple calibers.

What make is your gun? Smith &Wesson M&P Pro

Who built it?  I built it.

What barrel length, comp and optic are you using? 5in barrel, Carver Customs Comp, C-More w/SJC Mount

Do you run a big stick, and what capacity are you getting? 25+1

What have you settled on for a load? 7.0 grns of Autocomp and 155 grn Xtreme bullets.  Loud but shoots flat.  181 pf 

What's your open classification? C

Where are you from? FL

open.jpg

20160610_164424-1024x576.jpg

Edited by erivera715
Added picture

• 5 months later...

Time to revive an old thread?

Well I traded for a .40 open gun that I had the intention of rebarreling to .38 supercomp (it's an svi with interchangeable breach face) but decided to shoot it first since I had a bunch of mags for my limited guns.  

I was seriously impressed and I don't think I will change anything at this point other than optics (going to deltapoint pro).

So far I've settled on ibejiheads coated bullets in 140 gr fp over 7.7 gr WAC and it's a flat shooter at 174 pf.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried those particular bullets with any other powder.

8 hours ago, tag129 said:

West

have you tried HS6? 

Yeah,  I've tried hs6, but I couldn't get the dot to track as well as WAC. I'm still playing with it but so far WAC is edging hs6 out. 

8 hours ago, NMinzghor said:

With my two 40 Open guns I use Nosler or Rainer 135gr bullets with Hodgdon Longshot. Tons of gas very flat shooting.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Nminzghor, care to share a load with it? I've seen some longshot at my local gun shop so I may give that a try. I started with the ibeji bullets because they were cheap and I wanted to play around with different powders to see what would work the comp configuration I have the best, then I was going to switch to Ranier or nosler. An added bonus with the ibejis was that the accuracy is sub 2" standing at 25.