Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take a chance of trying to run it without a reload.

Flyin

I can tell ya this, I can recall a couple times at few state and 1 area match on ULSC I dropped an empty big stick and showed a clear chamber. RO usually just gives me the "you lucky dog" look and shakes his head, I in return say something to effect of "What? You don't call YOUR shots?" :rolleyes: It usually gets some good laughs. Haven't got bit YET, but sooner or later......................

LOL, been there done that too :roflol:. Especially if there were a stage thats all paper and the targets really aren't that difficult, no shoots or not that much hard cover. I would risk a stage like that but when your throwing in moving targets steel or some tough shots it changes everything.

Flyin

i shot some of my 155 JHP loads over 6.5 N350 at 1.125OAL over my chrono like you would at a large area-type level 1 match.

first three rounds were

1118 FPS

1096 FPS

1121 FPS

1111 fps average

172.3 power factor out of a 5 inch barrel..no ports.

it shoots softer than 3n37 and is cleaner. unfortunately i do not have many bullets. they are speer gold dots I bought for a song.

The new Jager Comped G35 is running good. Very good. Loaded a couple hundred Rainer 135 HP.

Used Silhouette and Auto-Comp. Both were fine. Left the tripod in the shop so no chrono data...duh. <_<

The Auto-Comp was a stand out but that could mean a low PF for all I know.

Few notes.

The 13# recoil spring Billy from Jager recommended was a difference maker. Perfect cycling.

The EGW "U" caused some earlier problems with this particular bullet shape. The undersized

U die stretches the brass an additional ~.005 by my measurements. Just enough to cause

some odd taper crimps. Trying to maintain a COAL of 1.130 with this combination of things

the rounds would not gauge cleanly. A switch to the standard Lee sizer/decapper solved this entirely.

Lastly, I need to work on the target focus, sight aware thing...a lot. I plan on it.

The new Jager Comped G35 is running good. Very good. Loaded a couple hundred Rainer 135 HP.

Used Silhouette and Auto-Comp. Both were fine. Left the tripod in the shop so no chrono data...duh. <_<

The Auto-Comp was a stand out but that could mean a low PF for all I know.

Few notes.

The 13# recoil spring Billy from Jager recommended was a difference maker. Perfect cycling.

The EGW "U" caused some earlier problems with this particular bullet shape. The undersized

U die stretches the brass an additional ~.005 by my measurements. Just enough to cause

some odd taper crimps. Trying to maintain a COAL of 1.130 with this combination of things

the rounds would not gauge cleanly. A switch to the standard Lee sizer/decapper solved this entirely.

Lastly, I need to work on the target focus, sight aware thing...a lot. I plan on it.

What barrel are you using with that? Does Jager have the threads for a 40 cal KKM barrel?

i just shot my jager comped glock 40 with my vv n350 load... not bad

i also shot some 155 cast over hs6 and they were much softer.

this comp seems to work better than the lone wolf i had on it...and is sharp looking too.

Harmon

i just shot my jager comped glock 40 with my vv n350 load... not bad

i also shot some 155 cast over hs6 and they were much softer.

this comp seems to work better than the lone wolf i had on it...and is sharp looking too.

Harmon

HS6 with a 135 gr nosler made for a great combo when I was shooting a 40 open. I ran some of my best times on some steel target drills with a para open in 40 with this load. That was more than 6 years ago and I'd probably be hard pressed to try and beat it with a STI in super now.

I dunno I think the mag will bight you alot more often. The its not so much looking for a reload point but shooting stages against people who dont reload at all. Last month I finished 3 (Limited) stages way higher than my class on 22 and 23 round stages as I have a 22 +1 magazine. Not having to reload at all on a stage opens things up a bit. Granted this was actually the first match all year that had 22 or 23 round stages so but then one match had 3. So go figure. I think any 28-31 round stage a 40 open guy will be at a pretty big disadvantage, All that being said I still want a .40 open gun. Cause I dont really care that much

A good point. The Nationals stages as posted will not require a single reload for any stage from my 9 major gun. Of course when I actually see them a reload may be in order for a comfort margin. :ph34r:

So your saying you won't do any reloads at nationals?? I just took a look at the stages, even if I had 31 in the mag there are 3 stages that I would do a reload. Me having a 40 means I would do 1 more reload bringing it to 4.

stage 4 29rds

stage 6 27 rds

stage 9 25rd

stage 14 29rds

No reload?? With all the steel, movers etc?? Do you make up a D to get an A?? or even a C to get an A?? Do me a favor, keep track of your reloads and lets us know after nationals. The top guys are going to reload on 2 if not 3 of the stages. 1 jam or a couple misses and makeups and your doing a standing reload at the end of the course and you lose alot of points.

Like I said earlier where a 40 open capacity comes into play is the mid 20's round count like the 25 rds on stage 9. I don't have to reload because I can get 27 but I will. That stage has alot of movement I wouldn't take a chance of trying to run it without a reload. It has 1 steel and 4 movers.

Stage 9 is the only stage at Nationals where a larger capacity has an advantage over a 40. Stage 6 is 27 rounds with 5 steel, 2 of which are going to be behind a hard cover steel and 3 movers and with that stage design there will be several places to reload.

Flyin

I didn't say I wasn't going to reload, it's just as posted none will be required. I can run 30+1 in my gun. Last year I only reloaded a couple of times. I ran several 28+ stages without reloading. And besides a Delta hit is plus 12 points for me.. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

I been messing around with my short mags some. I just got a Dawson +5 basepad. With grams follower and 13 coil spring, STI mag I'm getting 23 reloadable. The only problem is you get a salt shaker because of how wide the basepad is. I had an extra Arrendondo insert and it worked but it was the wrong one. I'll order the right one which Dawson sells and is modified to work in STI mags. I'll let you know once I shoot it. The insert is for 38/9mm but shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure the insert I tried was a 38/9mm.

Flyin

DUH! .356 does give it away. It's been so long since I've seen 135's I guess I got excited.

Maybe that's why I switched to MG 155's, and I think I like them even better.

Edited by WDB

Anybody happen to know how many Open shooters used 40 S&W at the Nationals? (With actual Open guns rather than guys shooting Open with their Limited guns).

Chris

Not many :roflol:

We might find out if Uspsa did the survey like they usually do. They usually post it in Front sight. But the results are dependent of who actually fills them out.

Flyin

Survey forms were available in the hallway leading to the Awards Ceremony room but I don't remember the questions. As one of the RO's on stage 3 I don't remember any open 40's but there could have been some on the slideride guns. The C-More guns that I saw were all 9mm/38 super types but I only got to stare at 1/3 of the guns.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple 170mm tubes coming from Bobby at Kgunz. I have my 5" BarSto barrel to go with my 5" slide. I'm starting to look for a comp now. It needs to be a cone comp.

What do you guys think about weight vs ports with 40 open? I'm thinking a heavier comp with only a couple ports might match up with 40 open better than ultra light comp with a ton of ports. What have you guys found to be the right combination for you in a comp?

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

I have a couple 170mm tubes coming from Bobby at Kgunz. I have my 5" BarSto barrel to go with my 5" slide. I'm starting to look for a comp now. It needs to be a cone comp.

What do you guys think about weight vs ports with 40 open? I'm thinking a heavier comp with only a couple ports might match up with 40 open better than ultra light comp with a ton of ports. What have you guys found to be the right combination for you in a comp?

Chris

Don't rely strictly on weight. You will get enough gas to work it. Here's a good read for ya........

http://www.gansguns.com/lightening.html

You shoot a to heavy setup and you will have to shot a more stout load to achieve reliable functioning.

Chris

This one is working just fine on my gun:

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_p...products_id=115

Later,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I've got an SV Limited gun on the way, so now I've got a gun for every USPSA division except Open. Just outta curiosity, about how much (ballpark) are we talkin' to get an Open .40 top end built? I'd probably go with a melted in Docter type setup, I've got an Optima on my .22 pistol and I like it just fine. If I were to go to the darkside after years of shooting iron sights, I think that'd ease the transition as well. I assume I'd still be able to use the same mags.

OK, so I've got an SV Limited gun on the way, so now I've got a gun for every USPSA division except Open. Just outta curiosity, about how much (ballpark) are we talkin' to get an Open .40 top end built? I'd probably go with a melted in Docter type setup, I've got an Optima on my .22 pistol and I like it just fine. If I were to go to the darkside after years of shooting iron sights, I think that'd ease the transition as well. I assume I'd still be able to use the same mags.

STI Slide, no sight cuts rear serrations $220

Bedell Steel Comp $140

Schueman Ultimatch threaded bull barrel $300(could also get a STI 6in for $100 less but then have it cut, crowned and threaded)

Aftec $70

Firing pin stop, firing pin & spring $30

Guide rod, plug and spring $50

and.......if you don't have a sight aready..

Doctor sight $400 plus whatever it cost to have it shock proofed.

Plus gunsmithing cost

Fitting barrel, slide, comp and small parts and then tune it. Also slide would have to be machined for the Doctor then blueing.

So just over $800 plus gunsmithing cost (between $400-$500)

or

Over $1200 with the doctor sight plus gunsmithing

If your not in a hurry you can probably take $200 or more off that price by watching the classifieds.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

What have you settled on for a load? 180gr Zero JHP and Clays

Jim

:o40 & CLAYS AT OPEN PRESSURES? :o

BE CAREFUL!

ETA: I want to think that the SJC barrel has better support than the OEM tube... Right?

Current (meaning within the last 15yrs or so) Glock barrels have pretty much the same amount of support as high end custom barrels so it shouldn't be an issue. I've linked to this pic before....I need to retake this picture with the new camera and proper lighting but it gets the point across....almost an identical amount of support on the stock Glock barrel (G22) when compared with a new Schuemann Classic AET .40. I'd have to check to be exact, but I bought the Glock this barrel is in back in 94 or 95.

More importantly, I'd think that a slower powder, and more of it, would work the comp a lot better on that SJC setup.

P1010025.jpg

Chris is totaly right. there is not much difference anymore between a Glock factory barrel and a aftermarket one when it comes to support. You can make major with a 9mm or 40 within save pressure levels. I have thousands of 9 Major rounds on my factory barrel and I know people who have more than 50.000 on them without any problems.