Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

When did you start shooting open?

Umm... last weekend. (Jun. 26, 2011) :P

Was 40 your first caliber in open?

Yes.

Why did you choose 40?

Because I can use the same frame for Open and Limited.

What make is your gun?

Glock

Who built it?

Me.

What barrel length, comp and optic are you using?

Glock 22 RTF2 frame & slide, Lone Wolf barrel, Jager comp, C-More STS red dot.

Glockworx trigger, (2lb), and magwell. Jager striker and steel guide rod. 4 mags w/ Dawson +5 basepads. 1 mag w/ Taylor Freelance +8 basepad.

I also have a Lone Wolf Glock 24 slide & barrel for use in Limited.

Do you run a big stick, and what capacity are you getting?

Yes. Taylor Freelance +8 basepad. I'm actually getting +9, for a total of 24 rounds.

What have you settled on for a load?

Haven't yet. At the moment the lightest bullet I could find locally was 165gr.

I'm looking at 135gr plated, (Berry's of Rainer), 8.3 gr Autocomp, Winchester small primer, OAL 1.135"

Should be good for about 172 PF.

What's your open classification?

Unclassified. I've only shot one classifier so far. I expect to be C class. (That's what my classification is in Limited & L10.)

Where do you live?

Missouri

Edited by Parallax3D

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

Why did you choose 40?

I had two limited guns in .40, One is Tanfoglio and the other is CZ TS. Reloading is same for Limited and Open. Ten rounds maximum in Canada.

What make is your gun?

CZ Tactical Sport

Who built it?

Me

4.75", coned comp patterned after thundercomp II, C-more w/ sideways mount (built by me).

No, ten.

What have you settled on for a load? 7.8 3n37, Berrys 155gr. PF is 176.

B

Where do you live?

BC, Canada

I just went through all 10 pages and found that there are about 25 of us that admit to shooting 40 Open guns. I didn't count those that moved on to 9mm or .38, or those that used to 6+ years ago. Keep it going. Share the knowledge.

NMinzghor:

I have a Tony KIDD built 40 caliber open gun based on a SVI frame. I'm now sponsored by STI so I believe it's a conflict to have the gun.

Extremely nice and smooth firearm and eats just about anything you put through it. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll get the details to you.

Thanks,

Robby

Larry,

After not shooting for ever and ever, I'm starting to get back into it with my 6" limited gun and pondering an open 40 gun. Did you try True Blue at all with the 135 gr?

Nick

Nick,

I tried Silhouette and it was too slow for my setup. I also tried AutoComp, but then settled on Power Pistol based on Pinman's recommendation. I don't know if we've met, but you can check out my setup some time.

I started shooting .40 open January 2011. Glock 35, slide ride Cmore STS, no comp or barrel ports, and 24 round big stick. Load is auto comp behind a 180gr Bear Creek moly I just finished 7th overall at AREA 1 2011, so it works for me. I will be shooting the Northwest Challenge next weekend in open then back to Limited/Limited 10. Will see you there splashdown?

Edited by L-10_shooter

• 1 month later...

thought I would revive this thread...

Heading to the range to see how this set up works...

IMG00437-20110826-12222.jpg?t=1314380872

still need a few things for it, but it is open now :D

Today

Yes.

Why did you choose 40?

Didn't want to reload at first, but now I do

What make is your gun?

Glock 35

Who built it?

Glock and myself

jager comp with sts

Not yet, but TF will be here soon

Haven't yet. Going to play with bayou and hs6 to see what I like.

Unclassified.

Where do you live?

down by the river

• 2 weeks later...

No

Why did you choose 40?

Brass is free for me and already have mags and loading stuff from Limited gear.

What make is your gun?

SVI Custom

Who built it?

Tony Kidd (I'm 4th owner)

5", don't know, cmore

Still waiting on them from Beven. He says probably 26.

Rainier 135gr, 8.6 grains of Longshot

A

Where do you live?

WA

You guys are awesome........ :cheers: I was thinking 40 the other day. I'm waiting on Briley to get there 40 barrel's in to finish a few other gun build's. I'll going to put a 40 open together soon... Here are two I just finished in 9 and 38 super comp.

post-24727-0-56189100-1315282835_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Anybody else notice that none of the Rainier 135gr actually weigh 135gr. Most of mine are weight out at 133.5-134.8. Gonna bump up the powder a bit so I'm good for Area 2.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that I had feed issues with them for some reason. I totally blew Area 3 because of constant jams due to this.

I'm going to use Nosler 135gr JHP with 8.2 Autocomp for the big matches. I used those at the MO Fall Classic and they ran just fine.

For the average local match, I'll use Montana Gold 165gr with 6.3gr Autocomp. Not as flat as the 135gr, but they cost less.

Anybody else notice that none of the Rainier 135gr actually weigh 135gr. Most of mine are weight out at 133.5-134.8. Gonna bump up the powder a bit so I'm good for Area 2.

Yup, I noticed that. I also noticed that Zero 230 FMJ are a tad light also. I used the Noslers for a few major matches but I never really saw any big difference (other than cost) and since my guns run fine with the Rainers, I just use them full time.

In any case, I guess that means there will be at least 2 of us at Area 2! Good luck!

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm new here at the BE forums, but a long time reader around here. I was seriously considering building a gun for 9mm Major, but then started to think about what it offers over .40s&w, and it seems that ammo/brass price, and mag capacity are the big advantages to Major 9. Well I live in CA, and I don't own high-caps, so that's a non-issue. And, I work at a range. I don't trust range brass for Major 9 loads, and making major in .40 isn't pushing the limits the way it is with 9. So, free brass, and a mag capacity more limited by my state than my caliber has led me to .40 major. Since I just plan on getting a feel for things, I'm going to build it off a Glock 22. I don't have a load because I don't have the gun set up, but I'm going to pick up either Nosler or Rainier 135 and 155gr bullets, and test them with Longshot and Autocomp, maybe Power Pistol, just to see what feels best. Hopefully I'll be posting back here soon with some more info when I get the gun built.