Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

Good day everyone. Glad i found this thread. I have a 6 port schuemann hybrid that was supposed to be for modified. Now im having it built as a sight tracker but with said ports. I just want to ask you guys what to expect? I dont plan on putting optics in it.just a fun gun built from parts sitting around.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes just a plain 6 port hybrid barrel.i thought so. Just a shame to let the barrel go to waste. I plan on having the ports covered though if i plan to use it in standard. For now im at home with classic div.

btw how much more powder would i need for such barrel? About 20% more than my loads for standard?

I just got one of those extensions for my 22rd mag and with 357 sig I get 26 rounds in it. I think it's a pretty good set up. I double checked mine on the gage and it looks like I need to think ake a couple thousands off think ake he back of the feed lips to be legal but it's really close.

Mike

I got one and I agree. I took a few strokes with the file off the back corner of the feed lips to get it to fit the mag gauge. Awesome product. Now I just need that G22 open top end.

• 1 month later...

Have any of you tried either the 140gr TC or 155gr RN Bayou bullets in your open gun? Does it smoke too much or foul the comp more? Also, if you happen to be using AutoComp, could you let me know what load you're using. Thanks

Edited by msg73

• 1 month later...

I am shooting the BB 155s with 7 grains of AC. My gun really likes this load but I want to see if I can get the flip a little less, so I ordered some of the 140s today. Not sure what charge to use to get major but I will start with 7 gr. AC and work up from there.

Doug

7gr WAC with the 155s seems high. What's your PF? I tried some Ibejihead 140gr but my KKM barrel doesn't like them. So, I'm currently using 6.4gr WAC with 155gr xtremes. I tried some 135gr Rainiers over 7.35gr WAC but it seems to push the muzzle down too much. It's sighted in properly as POI = POA when shot at rest but when I shoot offhand, the POI is 2" lower than POA. I thought it was me but when I tried the 155gr xtremes, POI = POA (rested and offhand). I'm also using CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers.

I am shooting the BB 155s with 7 grains of AC. My gun really likes this load but I want to see if I can get the flip a little less, so I ordered some of the 140s today. Not sure what charge to use to get major but I will start with 7 gr. AC and work up from there.

Doug

7 grains? Whoa! I reckon you would have a substantial "flip". What is your power factor?

6.8 grains of auto comp, under a Montana Gold 155 grain hollow point bullet gives me a power factor of 174. Primer is a CCI 500, BTW.

My dot stays in the glass and my PF is right around 172 in my gun. I think if I can get the lighter bullet around the same PF, the gun should ride a little flatter. My recorder glasses died on me but all my shooting buddies say my gun stays really flat with the current load but I think it can be less.

Been shooting 40 Open for about 4 years using 135 gr Rainers at 1.185aol, 10.0 grs of HS6 with a PF of 172. Guns shoots flat and I love it. Had a chance to buy some Auto Comp and I'm out of HS. Here's my problem. With 8.9 grs of AC and 135 Rainer, chronoed was: Low 1172 FPS, High was 1394 FPS. Any idea why the Extreme Spread is so large. Oh, the avg was 1273 FPS and a 172 PF. Not sure what's up.

Thanks for any help, Pete

Edited by pbc44

Been shooting 40 Open for about 4 years using 135 gr Rainers at 1.185aol, 10.0 grs of HS6 with a PF of 172. Guns shoots flat and I love it. Had a chance to buy some Auto Comp and I'm out of HS. Here's my problem. With 8.9 grs of AC and 135 Rainer, chronoed was: Low 1172 FPS, High was 1394 FPS. Any idea why the Extreme Spread is so large. Oh, the avg was 1273 FPS and a 172 PF. Not sure what's up.

Thanks for any help, Pete

Pete,

I have been using those bullets for years. One thing you may want to look at is if you are getting some setback that is causing the spread. Those 135's are stubby little things and loading long does not leave much bullet / case contact area. I have settled on a length of around 1.155. You may want to measure some loads and shoot one and let one chamber and then measure that to see if there was a change.

Late last year, I tried a small batch of Autocomp loads and I got just shy of 165 using 8.0 Gr of AC out of a 5" barrel. The spread wasn't wonderful but I used mixed brass so that may of been part of it. I only tested 10 rounds so I may know more later this year.

I got a good deal on a bunch of Autocomp so I bought it. I normally use N-340 so I am keeping the rest of my 340 for major matches and will use AC locally.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, What was nice about the HS6 was that all I had to do was change my powder measure and I was good to go in Ltd as the AOL for 180's and 135 was about .005 . Guess I will have to rethink things as I now have 24 lbs of AC. It was nice not having to change the seating die. Oh well, the older I get the more BS I have to put up with. Tanks again for your help. Are you shooting the WSSSC?

Pete

Thanks Chuck, What was nice about the HS6 was that all I had to do was change my powder measure and I was good to go in Ltd as the AOL for 180's and 135 was about .005 . Guess I will have to rethink things as I now have 24 lbs of AC. It was nice not having to change the seating die. Oh well, the older I get the more BS I have to put up with. Tanks again for your help. Are you shooting the WSSSC?

Pete

Na, I had signed up but wound up dropping out. And I just found out today that I have an "emergency" trip to Seattle that would keep me up there until Friday night so it wouldn't of worked anyway. Have fun at the match!

Later,

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update Chuck. Finally settled on 8.4 gr of AC at 1.16. PF of 174. Lowest shot thru chrono was always the first shot. Wish it was like TiteGroup and not as case sensitive as it is. Think that has something to do with the ES being so wacky along with the aol.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Here's an update Chuck. Finally settled on 8.4 gr of AC at 1.16. PF of 174. Lowest shot thru chrono was always the first shot. Wish it was like TiteGroup and not as case sensitive as it is. Think that has something to do with the ES being so wacky along with the aol.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

I have used up some odd lots of ammo I had in the safe and will start loading with AC at around 8.1 Gr. I have a fairly new barrel and it seems to run fast. Thanks for the update!

Later,

Chuck

• 1 month later...

Ditto on the EGW but I had the first side ports cut off because of a balance issue.

Pete

I have a steel-framed gun so it works as is. Is not real light though! I also have a gun with one of these Schuemman Tribrid II barrels:

LS-even-ports_200.png

I think it is more agile but much more obnoxious with all the noise holes in the top. It gets real nasty in confined spaces! I was thinking about trying a comparison again. The obnoxious gun may be a better performer!

Later,

Chuck