Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my .45 back today. Looks better than I could have hoped!!!

Sorry about my poor photography :(

Very nice, I want to send mine in to get this coating. I think I will wait until the winter (probably like everyone else).

Dan

I will keep that in mind, but it is now all Slide Glidey and ready for tonight's match. It will never look the same :(

Well, I saw 'zhunter's' Ionbond-ed gun at the match yesterday night. It looked oh sooooo cool in that black velvet coat. He was concerned that it might bind or something as he hadn't fired it yet. Nope. I don't recall a single hiccup. (Still waiting for them to post the match results in the club's website)

I'm getting ready to coat a couple of guns. How does this Ionbond stuff hold up after time. My guns are blued with significant holster wear. If would be kind of stupid to shell out $400+ dollars to coat two pistols and end up with the same holster wear patterns.

I appreciate the pics of guns after they have been bonded, but I would sure like to see pics of used guns.

CSE,

Well, if it's anything like Paul E.'s mag from MSTN, he showed us this last November and we were "attempting" to scratch the mag with his knife. The only marks were dust coming off the blade and they wiped off without a single mark on the mag. It's pretty scary how durable this stuff is.

I'll be getting both Vipers and my new steel gun coated in this.

Rich

I was still hoping to get this finish, but I didn't expect the $100 jump in price. In all markets there is a give and take between supply and demand. I expect that the price hike is in response to our prior exuberance for the product. We'll see if people cool off a bit and the price doesn't come back down. I'll have to think about whether I consider a 50% increase in price to be a bit underhanded.

Edited by Erucolindon

I can say in all honesty that a 50% price jump seems a bit much... But I know this jump is not in response to demand, rather the price is now attempting to cover cost. This is a very expensive process. I have been to IonBond and seen the process, it cost the same to run the machines if there is 1 item or 1,000. So when doing custom work you can imagine the machine is never full therby, increasing the cost per piece. I know this means little when it comes down to the wallet line but I thought you should know any price increase is not "gouging" just an increase, we do live in inflationary times. :goof:

I am in the process of preping a 700 to ship to IonBond the $300.00 price tag will make this project wait but since I had my 1st gun coated I have been spoiled so now they all must get it, it's that good.

Hamp

$300 is still a deal. It costs about $200 (actually probably more) to hard chrome a gun and this process is better. Hmmm....$100 more for something better. Yeah...I'm down.

I'll be coating my custom AR upper receivers and lightened carriers in this once we get the designs complete.

Rich

Better, probably. But 50% better?

For the $300 for this finish, you can have your blaster sent to Virgil, plated and returned. And, it isn't as if hard chome is suddenly crap now that we have this option. You're looking more like $400 for IonBond with shipping. Neither is cheap, but $100 is still $100.

LOL And shiny black is the sex if you ask me. Polish the flat sides of slide and comp with mat finish every where else. Yeah, that is my plan when I can afford to let go of my gun for a few weeks. That is the kicker, I shoot it every week so it is going to be rough to not shoot for a few weeks. lol Where is Hertz Rent A Gun when you need it?

Joe W.

I love hard chrome, but I wanted a black slide, I also like my money. And black is black, but when I unwraped that mat and shiney slide I really didnt care what it cost( within reason). Money well spent, I would and will do it again.---------Larry

Edited by lkytx

For me, black is the only option. Its a black gun, and to chrome it would completely change the identity of the gun. I will get it IonBonded, all matte, no question. The only question is how likely I am to send another gun. Who knows, maybe I won't even question getting a 2nd one done once I have the first one in my hand. I just can't let a 50% price hike slide without a gripe.

Chris

I got my .45 back today. Looks better than I could have hoped!!!

Sorry about my poor photography :(

what about a group buy?

I'm pretty sure there are enough of us out there that can get together enough guns to bring the price down.

"Pricing:

10 pistols or more per shipment-$ 150.00 each

Less than 10 per shipment-$300.00 each

5 or more long guns per shipment-$200.00 each

Less than 5 long guns per shipment-$350.00 each

AR-15, complete coating-$425.00

AR-15, Just the upper assembly, including carrier assembly-$225.00

Disassembly and re-assembly-$40.00

Gloss polish-$50.00 to $275.00 depending on what is to be polished."

Their latest/pricing guide reflects a price break for 10 or more pistols, or 5 or more long guns........ pretty good price break at that, not sure if any larger quantity wold save you much more. ;)

We should try to put together a bulk order at some point in time. Anyone around VA/MD/PA that wants to figure out how to do it. I will send in 3 if we can get it going. Figuring sometime around December would be a good time.

I live in Ft. lauderdale Fl, and can send two pistols. Ill bet Ryan will not have a problem if the guns are comming from different sources. That's five already any more? I can also say I had Ionbond coat a bunch of stuff a couple of months ago and will post pics. A couple of glock slides on DLC black matte and the other in their matte silver. Mini UZI full auto bolt, HK UMP Full Auto Bolt and a bunch of mags. I have run about 5,000rds through both full auto bolts with zero wear. Awesome stuff and it looks beutiful too.

Craig

We should try to put together a bulk order at some point in time. Anyone around VA/MD/PA that wants to figure out how to do it. I will send in 3 if we can get it going. Figuring sometime around December would be a good time.

I'll be willing to try it on 4 (2 Single stacks, set up like Z's and 2 wide body limited guns)

That sounds like 9 or so already. Looks like one more and we should talk to Ryan about this with guns coming from different spots and doing one batch. Ryan if you see this post it up.

Maybe if a bunch of people are going to send at once and he gets a huge batch with little waste he will be willing to.