Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

Well, I just got my gun back from IonBond on Saturday. It was my first attempt at building my own and needless to say, Ryan and the guys at IonBond did a first rate job at making my project look great!

Is that an Extreme or C&S hammer and was it IonBonded? If so, how did it affect the trigger feel?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that an Extreme or C&S hammer and was it IonBonded? If so, how did it affect the trigger feel?

It is a C&S hammer. The hammer, sear (EGW) and disconnector were all IonBonded (the only things I didn't coat were springs, firing pin, and trigger). I did all the prep before coating and cannot notice any difference in the feel and the pull weight is the same. My understanding is that the trigger job will last much longer as well.

Hey I know this gun....I saw it Sunday at the Ant Hill 3-Gun :ph34r: You would think after so long on the forum I would know who I shoot with. This gun looks great in person. I'm sold...as soon as the Area 6 match is over I am sending in my SVI and having it done....I love blueing and black guns but having now switched to a DOH and dropping the ghost I need to protect from holster wear.

Chuck

So does Ion Bond have a "chrome"-like finish (i.e. silver) that goes with the PVD above?

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff. On my Kidd Vipers, I'm having Rusty go through them and give 'em a tune up. They both need 'em. After the work is done though, I send all the parts to Ion Bond then right? I'll have Rusty do the re-assembly too.

Does everything just get the PVD (since they are my 'black' guns)? Or do various parts get different coatings.

The reason I ask on if they over a 'chrome'-type coating is I have an old 1911 that I want to get done in the classic 2-tone.

Thanks for any info. An e-mail address for Ryan would be great too.

Rich

Hey I know this gun....I saw it Sunday at the Ant Hill 3-Gun :ph34r: You would think after so long on the forum I would know who I shoot with. This gun looks great in person. I'm sold...as soon as the Area 6 match is over I am sending in my SVI and having it done....I love blueing and black guns but having now switched to a DOH and dropping the ghost I need to protect from holster wear.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, I know we've talked about Cross Creek on here, since you know who I am now, you'll have to introduce yourself next match! I'm always pulling my little red wagon so am easy to spot! :P

So does Ion Bond have a "chrome"-like finish (i.e. silver) that goes with the PVD above?

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff. On my Kidd Vipers, I'm having Rusty go through them and give 'em a tune up. They both need 'em. After the work is done though, I send all the parts to Ion Bond then right? I'll have Rusty do the re-assembly too.

Does everything just get the PVD (since they are my 'black' guns)? Or do various parts get different coatings.

The reason I ask on if they over a 'chrome'-type coating is I have an old 1911 that I want to get done in the classic 2-tone.

Rich

Rich, originally I was going to go with a "chrome-like" finish on the barrel and the hammer, just for a little "bling." Ryan said they have a finish that has the appearance of hard chrome, but if I recall correctly, it wasnt as hard as the black PVD, maybe 60-70 versus 70-90. I thought about it and went all satin black.

I'm sure that Rusty could do the work, then send it direct to Ryan and back. No need for the extra step if Rusty is going to assemble it anyway. Ryan mentioned they deal with alot of 'smiths. Save you some trouble.

I know he has an email, but dont know if he wants it out. I have to contact him about something and will see if he minds it being passed to you given your current location...having spent a little time there myself, I know how challenging phone calls can be!

Stay Safe!

Paul

On my Kidd Vipers, I'm having Rusty go through them and give 'em a tune up. They both need 'em. After the work is done though, I send all the parts to Ion Bond then right? I'll have Rusty do the re-assembly too.

I'll let you break him in on the new finish :D He's getting mine back for a new comp after the season... ;) Need to refinish after that... it'll have about 17K on it at that point - perfect time to refinish in PVD...

whats up everyone, Flynn from IonBond here. Sorry I haven't been on here keeping up with you guy's, one I don't actually own a computer and two, IonBond is keeping me very busy. I just wanted to tell eveyone interested in the coating that if you have any questions feel free to call or email me at work. Right now the best way to contact me is by email becuase I check them first thing every morning. I have seen alot of questions on here about pricing, drop me a line and I will send you the info package. i will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. email address is r.flynn@us.ionbond.com and Phone is 336-665-0005 ext. 1340. Hope this helps, shoot straight and have a good one.

Rich

Yes we do have a chromium nitride coationg that looks like hard chrome. So if you wnat your classis two tone, it is doable.

I shipped mine to Ryan and it arrived at Ionbond today. He quoted me 6-7 weeks to get it finished. I will add pics when it comes in.

Ouch. Anyone know if you can just put your name in line? I don't want to have to borrow a gun for 2 months to shoot matches!

turn around time is soon to be back to the normall 2 to 3 weeks, i starting to get caught up from the machine problems we had last month.

How was the metal prepped before it was coated?

This finish looks subdued and I'd guess it to be somewhere in between matte and satin. I'd hope the prep options could create everything from a high gloss to a darker matte finish.

Honestly, IonBond is really frustrating the shooting market with their lack of tangible information.

the gun in question was 220 grit oxide blasted then coated, his barrel was oxide blasted then ceramic blasted for a smoother finish that is a satin. this is done for wear reasons.Any violent wear areas are usually done this way unless you specify otherwise. all areas that are polished when we recieve the gun get masked so they will remain polished. i am an actuall gunsmith and have built 1911's, so you are in good hands, no worry's about getting your gun back and felling like you just left it at the village idiot gunsmith garage. It's my job to see to it that you get what you want when you send me your baby.

KC Eusebio's 2 new Caspian .38 Super open guns custom built by the USAMU Custom Firearms Shop coated with high gloss Ion Bond DLC on the slide and barrel.

Smoothe looking slide. ;) It does seem to polish up nicely.

Here is my updated limited gun. Ryan was outstanding and easy to deal with. I had everything coated except for the hammer, sear, disconnector and trigger. My S&A magwell was coated, but I swapped it out with the DP one I like better. Finish is very smooth and even. Top notch all around.

post-3450-1178953607.jpg

post-3450-1178953963.jpg

post-3450-1178953974.jpg

post-3450-1178954026.jpg

post-3450-1178954047.jpg

post-3450-1178954063.jpg

Edited by Interceptor

Here is my updated limited gun. Ryan was outstanding and easy to deal with. I had everything coated except for the hammer, sear, disconnector and trigger. My S&A magwell was coated, but I swapped it out with the DP one I like better. Finish is very smooth and even. Top notch all around.

That has to be one of my favorite limited guns of all time!

I think I am in love here!! After first hearing about this stuff I was interested but the more I read and the more photos I see the MORE I want it. Right now I am thinking about just having my slide, barrel and mag bodies done but who knows.

Question: What prep work do I need to do before shipping the parts out, if any? I would like to keep the look something like it is now with a pretty nice blued finish, mat finish overall with the flats on the slide and comp polished. I guess my biggest question is do I need to clean out the comp?

Joe W.

KSmoker, when you get your gun done let me know. I run out to Mill Creek most months and would love to see your gun once it is done. By the way, long haired guy that always seems to have a camera in tow, that is me.

Joe W.

KC Eusebio's 2 new Caspian .38 Super open guns custom built by the USAMU Custom Firearms Shop coated with high gloss Ion Bond DLC on the slide and barrel.

I just popped onto this thread to post about KC's gun.

When I ran him at the IPSC qualifier match this past weekend I was surprised to see such a nicely blued gun (in a holster that obviously gets used a lot). After he shot I asked him if he just had his gun blued. Nope...Ion Bond, you like it ?

I didn't get a super close look at it, but it looks better in person than those pics show, I believe ?

That has to be one of my favorite limited guns of all time!

+1 who did your square trigger guard.

KSmoker, when you get your gun done let me know. I run out to Mill Creek most months and would love to see your gun once it is done. By the way, long haired guy that always seems to have a camera in tow, that is me.

Joe W.

Will do Joe. I'm currently trying to get a couple of guy's pistols together to send. Shipping is a killer out to the East coast via next day air, so I'm trying to split up the bill :D

I just saw Matt Burkett's open gun at yesterday's match and he did a little demo on how neat this IonBond thing is. He got an empty brass and scratched it on his gun, the brass marking rubbed right off with his finger. Looks awesome too. Can they do a gun that's been hard chromed?

KSmoker, I would go in on shipping but it is going to be a month or so before I could ship anything of mine out. Right now I am just looking to get the slide, barrle/comp, magwell and magazine bodies done so I am not worried about the next day air. I also still need to call the place and get a quote and see what kind of prep work I should do before shippig the parts out.

Ideally I would love to have a high polish on the flats of the slide and comp with a more mat finish on the top of the slide and comp. I also would love a high polish on the outside of the magwell and the mag bodies. Any idea what all I will need to do before shipping my parts to them?

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shooting the pistol for about a month now. I am very pleased with the finish. I occasionally rub the area of the trigger guard on the aluminum of my Safariland 012 holster. This leaves little aluminum "scratches" on the finish. I simply rub them with my finger and they promptly disappear. No visible wear on any of the coated areas, including the barrel, barrel hood, link, frame rails, etc. This will be the only finish I ever get done from now on. Simply awesome.

No visible wear on any of the coated areas, including the barrel, barrel hood, link, frame rails, etc.

Interceptor, any wear on the inside of the slide between the ejection port and the groves the locking lugs sit in? Thanks.