Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

FYI to all interested, I spoke with Ryan of Ionbond this morning and to get the quantity discount all the firearms must arrive in one package. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The best bet might be to point Ryan at this thread so that he can see the interest here. Perhaps he'd be willing to work something out - sort of a forum special or something like that... ;) Doing group buys is a common thing for forums, but due to the nature of having a finish applied to a firearm, it makes it kind of tough logisitically to organize it in the traditional fashion (ie, not just any one of us can put it together - has to be an FFL to receive everyone's stuff), and it sounds like we might have enough stuff to make it hard to ship it all in one box, anyway. :)

If he's not interested, he's not... :) But, it wouldn't hurt to ask....

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KSmoker and I sent our dissassembled pistols in to Ryan at IonBond. Ryan turned them in less than three weeks (would have been two, but a machine broke down). I just wanted to share the before, during and after of my pistol with those who will be getting work done there. Two pictures of the original pistol:

post-9465-1193169436.jpg post-9465-1193169501.jpg

The original used pistol I bought had Comp problems :wacko: (too loose on the barrel) so the comp was replaced by EGW (yeah I know its big :D ) and this is part of what went to Ryan.

post-9465-1193169720.jpg

Reassembled (thanks KSmoker!) with new grip after finishing. Small parts were mostly bead blasted stainless, but comp was done in the silver finish everything else in Black including scope mount and mag well:

post-9465-1193170093.jpg post-9465-1193170116.jpg

I still need to replace the Ice mag well insert and put the thumb rest back on but other than that it's ready to go. I think he did a GREAT job and I am very happy with it. I need to make it my new Avatar. I assume KSmoker will post his when it gets reassembled. Thanks Ryan!! :cheers:

I assume KSmoker will post his when it gets reassembled.

Well of course I gotta post pics! :cheers:

Ryan does incredible work and the finish looks perfect. I've seen most of the major finishes (Robar, Tripp, Baer, etc) and this one is easily at the top of my list. A few coatings have matched the looks but nothing has combined the looks with the toughness of this stuff! We have done the knife test to another IonBonded gun and it's truly amazing how it leaves no marks what so ever after removing the residue left from the knife.

Hope everyone likes the pics. If you would like any detail shots please let me know

post-8969-1193522658.jpg

post-8969-1193522683.jpg

post-8969-1193522704.jpg

post-8969-1193522727.jpg

Edited by KSmoker

Ryan does incredible work and the finish looks perfect. I've seen most of the major finishes (Robar, Tripp, Baer, etc) and this one is easily at the top of my list. A few coatings have matched the looks but nothing has combined the looks with the toughness of this stuff! We have done the knife test to another IonBonded gun and it's truly amazing how it leaves no marks what so ever after removing the residue left from the knife.

Hope everyone likes the pics. If you would like any detail shots please let me know

That is a sexy gun. I need a cigarrette now.

That Looks WONDERFUL :cheers:

Hey, that gun looks nice! :lol:

Can this finish be applied to a new gun? Or do you have to wait to get your gun broken in like you do for chrome.

You could probably put it on a new gun, but it would be better for it to broken in a bit beforehand.

I believe G-ManBart is correct. Although the coating is very thin, even thinner than a classic hardcrhome coating, it is going to add thousanths to the entire frame and slide. But the man to ask that question to is Ryan Flynn at IonBond. He is a gunsmith and knows his products! You can email him r.flynn@us.ionbond.com or call him althouggh I don't have the number handy I know it is in the Ionbond posts somewhere near the beginning. Good luck!

Coatings can be applied to new, used, or on top of another coating, everything except raw aluminum.

The coating is only 80 millionths thick, so fitting on my guns has never been a problem. This is the most durable coating I have ever seen. Its in the range of over 90 rockwell hardnest.

Tony

All my guns have been plated or coated from the git go, run perfect 1st time and now, still tight after god knows how many rds. If the smith and the plater know what they are doing stuff like that happens. And Benny, Virgil and Ryan know.-----------------------Larry

Has anyone had this coating done with an Acc-u-railed gun? My new backup STI (soon to be primary with a 6" top end) has acc-u-rails. I may be contacting Ryan when it comes time to finish this gun.

Funny you should mention that. KS-Shooter's open gun is acc-u-railed. The finish (3-5 microns or .0001-.0002 inches I believe) doesn't seem to have a noticable effect on the fit of the accurails at all. His gun still feels incredible smooth and there were no problems with reassembly. On my gun I had the extractor coated and was a little worried if it would fit as it was pretty tight before. There were no issues however upon reassembly either. It might be just a touch tighter but hardly noticeable at all. Of course I'd still always shoot a new or new to me gun before having it coated. Just to make sure if functions how I want before setting it in stone.. or diamond like carbon :goof:

I will be having several more guns done by IonBond. Just got to figure out which ones and when :wacko:

Thanks KS Smoker. Were the rails themselves coated too? If not, would the coating wear the rails at all? I guess people have had top ends hard chromed and lowers blued in the past, so maybe the difference in hardness is not an issue if the surfaces are smooth. Just a thought. Let me know if the rails were coated.

PS, I'm from KCMO and next time I'm out your way, I'd like to head out there for a match. No plans to travel there for a while though.

Edited by splashdown

Thanks KS Smoker. Were the rails themselves coated too? If not, would the coating wear the rails at all? I guess people have had top ends hard chromed and lowers blued in the past, so maybe the difference in hardness is not an issue if the surfaces are smooth. Just a thought. Let me know if the rails were coated.

PS, I'm from KCMO and next time I'm out your way, I'd like to head out there for a match. No plans to travel there for a while though.

The Accu-rails were not coated on the advice of George at EGW who did the Comp install and fitting to the slide. Quote from George: "I would not do the rails, it may make them brittle. ??"

I truly do not remember if I asked Ryan, although I thought I had. I imagine I can get a new set of rails done at any time. I am no gunsmith but I thought the rails were meant to wear and then be replaced. BTW, the rails were already on the gun when I got it. I would still ask Ryan the question since it couldn't hurt.

Could someone please post pictures of an Ion Bonded gun after it has been drawn out of a kydex holster a thousand times.

I don't think a Ghost or CR Speed holster will give you what you want. My XD has not been done yet, but it is in line for the coating. When that gets done and I go back to working production :closedeyes: I would be glad to.

I would imagine someone has a production gun that has the DLC finish on it that can show you if there is any wear.

Could someone please post pictures of an Ion Bonded gun after it has been drawn out of a kydex holster a thousand times.

I don't have a picture that meets your needs right now but I will telll you this. I had my limited gun done barrel and all. The barrel hood looks brand new after thousands of rounds. Absolutely brand new. I've also done hundreds of draws from Kydex with it and there is no evidence it was ever in a kydex holster. Kydex doesn't touch this finish. In fact the kydex actually wears off on the gun leaving a white powder which you can wipe right off.

The Ionbond finish is the definitive firearm finish IMO.

Angel

So Chris......R U going to give Larry a new "paint job"?

Larry needs some work. He's had some rust issues since moving to my new house. I have a dehumidifier going 24/7, but there is just something about IOWA........ It's f'ing humid here.

My 1911 is back from the gunsmith and ready to be coated. What's the news or progress on getting a group buy? It might be best if someone close could gather all the guns and just drive to greensboro for a direct hand off. I live 4 hours from there and am considering driving my gun there myself anyway.

Anyone with an FFL near Norfolk, VA?

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon